• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Custom wheels for wide body - HELP!

My BRS widebody is under way and I am in the position that I must lose my current WORK wheels in favor of something much wider and truely show worthy without the need for spacers. The problem that I am having is my personal taste in wheels leans more towards function (leight weight) than crazy chrome visuals with spinners and 22" DUBS. Most of the wheels that I have found that come in larger/wider sizes are somewhat tasteless. And forget trying to look wheels up by car type - there is no NSX Widebody category at tirerack.com. :wink:

To the point- Do manufacturers of racing wheels such as WORK or RAYS ever work with clients to create wider versions of their rims? What all would have to be done? I don't want some CNC machined wheel that will bend the instant I hit a pothole so a forged wheel would make more sense, but again most custom wheels are machined vs. the standard forged racing wheels.

I'm clueless here. Can sombody start pointing me in the right direction?

I don't know if you will like any of their wheels, but you could try Kinesis Motorsport. They can make custom offsets for their entire line.
Wouldn't hurt to try. If you know the exact offsets you need.

I'd love to see pics off the widebody juice.

http://www.kinesismotorsport.com/f110.htm
Len

I know that Volk and Works do custom offsets, but you do have to wait a long time for them. (3-4 month)

Hi Josh,

Look at this.. while you had fun at the club tonight I responded to your post. Heh, Anyways.. answers below-

Juice said:
My BRS wide body is under way and I am in the position that I must lose my current WORK wheels in favor of something much wider and truly show worthy without the need for spacers. The problem that I am having is my personal taste in wheels leans more towards function (leight weight) than crazy chrome visuals with spinners and 22" DUBS. Most of the wheels that I have found that come in larger/wider sizes are somewhat tasteless. And forget trying to look wheels up by car type - there is no NSX Wide body category at tirerack.com. :wink:

To me, it sounds like your primary criteria is still mostly aesthetic, and function may be a coincidental by-product of that methodology as your preference is not to have blingy looking polished/chrome wheels. I understand that unless you'll be doing a FF3 photo-op.

Frankly, function implies a minimalist approach anyway, strong/light weight design, proper size specially fitted for the elected tire / contact patch that is needed for the application/specs, easily maintainable, etc... where as I believe you may be just working in reverse trying to match the form factor of a convertible wide body show car (pri 1) without as much regard to performance (pri 2).

Put more clearly- obviously there is clearly no functional need for 305's+ on the rear of your specific street convertible (aside from it looking good with the new BRS kit) as you haven't provided any valid performance justification why your current setup or a normal comparable aftermarket setup is insufficient as it would be inhibiting your vehicles performance.

That said, if you just want to get a handle on all the wheel offerings- Enkei, Kinesis, Work, Volk, BBS, Racing Hart, Speedline... there are loads of available manufacturers with solid offerings that meet your stated requirements- (strong 1/2 pc aluminum construction, 10/10.5/11/12+ inch sizing, low offset, 5 lug bolt pattern) with the only real issue so far as I can see being real-world performance compromises, appearance, and cost. If your going to ditch the spacers and have a BBK, offsets also may also become a limiting factor in some specific cases.

The good news is that as mentioned several manufacturers custom make wheels to order so you can get whatever you what- custom widths, offsets, finishes, etc... and depending on your diameter tires are fairly readily available. It's all just time, potential aggravation, and money.

Juice said:
To the point- Do manufacturers of racing wheels such as WORK or RAYS ever work with clients to create wider versions of their rims? What all would have to be done? I don't want some CNC machined wheel that will bend the instant I hit a pothole so a forged wheel would make more sense, but again most custom wheels are machined vs. the standard forged racing wheels.

Absolutely- often big-ticket clients request them for racing, it just takes big budgets. Center lock volk mags are used in JGTC frequently, ALMS teams field some nice looking BBS racing wheels on those C5R's, etc... all are as wide as it gets upwards of 345's. If these are what you are eye balling then most of these are specialty runs made just for the specific client's application and center lock hub/brake specs, etc... often times with minimum purchases requirements of 10 sets or more.

Juice said:
I'm clueless here. Can somebody start pointing me in the right direction?

I guess the bottom line is more information is needed to get a handle on what is going to satisfy your needs as a customer. Priority one is what available tires do you want to use? What size/brand spacers are you using? Also, what designs are aesthetically acceptable (e.g. what do you like you have seen), do they have to be single piece forged aluminum or are some 2pc models acceptable to you?

You know off-topic but I have a set of low offset wheels/street tires here that I do suspect might just fit the bill for you that with some heavy persuasion I may let go depending on when my new ones might arrive. We'll have to sync up again then and I'll send you some pics.

Last edited:
Why not just drop HRE a line. I know they'll build and assemble a great package for your ride. They'll also have them with as much bling in chrome as you want, or brush, powdercoat, etc the centers.

JMO,

Ben

juice,

i get my car back this week and i will throw on my work wheels and post up some pics w/ the specs of it to give you some type of idea if im going to need spacers or not. i saw ken's yellow nsx at tpr the other day when i was there he is running HRE 547R wheel (R: 19 X 10.5, F: 18 X 8) and the wheels are not wide enough the rims are not flush w/ the wide body. i'm hoping w/ my 19x11 that i am not going to need spacers but i will find out this week. i will contact you later on the week to let you know the update juice.

I recently bought a used NSX, I've been scraping change together and talking about getting one for about 5 years now and finally I own one. I also work for Complete Custom Wheel, I will be putting our wheels on my car eventually, i.e. when I can afford it. I'm the machinist that cuts all the wheels we make, so when an order came in for a NSX I brought my car in for test fit. The wheel was a 19x10 with BFG 285/30/R19 tire on it. It looked excellent. We've done another NSX with a wide body and put 19x11's on it with the same backspacing as this 19x10, the extra inch was all on the outside giving that deep lip look. Our company mostly services Corvettes and Vipers, but I'm trying to push the NSX, unfortunely there are no pictures on the web page, but I do have some if I could figure out how to upload it here. If you'd like I could email you photos. Here is a link to the page for designs, and you can see them on vettes and such. http://www.ccwheel.com
Let me know what you think.

I know that Volk and Works do custom offsets, but you do have to wait a long time for them. (3-4 month)

A possibility. I would just have to run spacers on my current WORKs until the new product arrived.

Put more clearly- obviously there is clearly no functional need for 305's+ on the rear of your specific street convertible (aside from it looking good with the new BRS kit) as you haven't provided any valid performance justification why your current setup or a normal comparable aftermarket setup is insufficient as it would be inhibiting your vehicles performance.

Yes John, but you know enough of my situation to write a novel. In fact, you and I seem to cross a lot of the same roads don't we? :wink: Besides, the justification lies in the desire to not run spacers. As you state, it seems it will come down to money and time spent on getting what I want - custom offset street/track duty wheels.

Oh, and just because I don't have the performance justification now doesn't meen I never will. :tongue:

Why not just drop HRE a line

I don't seem to care for a lot of their wheels. At least not enough to start seeking their help in this regard. But when options start limiting themselves...?

I recently bought a used NSX, I've been scraping change together and talking about getting one for about 5 years now and finally I own one. I also work for Complete Custom Wheel, I will be putting our wheels on my car eventually, i.e. when I can afford it. I'm the machinist that cuts all the wheels we make, so when an order came in for a NSX I brought my car in for test fit.

Welcome to the club! I have the feeling you will become an asset here thanks to your current position and you kick ass taste in cars. I took a look at your wheels and did like a few of them.

Juice, when I ask BRS to build this kit I made a set of forged wheel for nsx and this BRS kit is made base on this set of wheel. Is 18x7.5 and 20x10. If you don't care about brand and don't want to spend lot money let me know.

Juice- I got Volk to make me a custom set it takes around 2months plus shipping. I got 18x8 et24 and 19x10.5 et12.
Mine should arrive any time now. Driving around with non-widebody wheels doesnt look too bad.

That is nice to know as I really like Volk wheels. I actually have a set of wheels in mind now, but the hard part will be ordering them. Even though I've spent some time in Japan, my girlfriend is Japanese, my car is Japanese, and all my gear is Japanese, I still don't know a lick of Japanese. OK, maybe a lick. :wink: :biggrin:

Did you order the Volks directly or did you have a middle man?

Juice- u got a japanese gf ?? is she a fluent speaker ?? you should get her to speak to japanese shops. Volk Australia sponsored me so they organised everything. I think Mackin ?? in US can order Volk.

No unfortunately. She is pure Japanese, raised in Brasil, schooled in America. If you have sponsorship you are lucky. I sure could use a break in all my spending on this car.

Does anyone here understand how to read these things or can point me to an informational FAQ where I can educate myself?

e193_2.gif

Juice- What wheel is it ?? I had to go through the same sheet as that. The top numbers are the size of the dish and the mid, high is depending whether you have big brakes installed.
Sponsorship is great some things are free but most are done at cost so no complaining there but still modding an NSX is expensive.

Well, I have the BBK's installed, so I guess I am looking at HIGH. I still don't really understand a lot of it though. Here is what I have learned. First, this is the wrong spec sheet for our NSX's. Here is a better one -
e193.gif

114.3 is the radius from center to the lugs. 5H is 5 holes for the lug pattern. The numbers at the top declare offsets. Still, I don't quite get the Slow/Mid deal here.

The top numbers on the chart (way on top) that read left to right = "rim depth" or "lip" it looks like with certain offset changes they keep the same "lip" and therefore are either bending the spokes or adding/subtracting material from the hub area.

I also believe it is not "slow" it is "low" and then mid and high.

RP-Motorsports said:
The top numbers on the chart (way on top) that read left to right = "rim depth" or "lip" it looks like with certain offset changes they keep the same "lip" and therefore are either bending the spokes or adding/subtracting material from the hub area.

I also believe it is not "slow" it is "low" and then mid and high.

I believe RP is correct. The top row numbers represent the "Lip" size. The second row refers to the structure of the rim and how much room it has to clear big brakes (also called the "disk". Basically you'd pick a "Low" disk for the rear to get the max size lip. You'd pick a "High" disk to get max brake clearance and the least amount of lip. "Mid" disk is somewhere in between. Here's a picture representation (where Low disk is "O", Mid disk is "A", and High disk is "R"):
main_img.jpg

The numbers in the middle of your chart are the offsets of the wheels in millimeters (offsets are always expressed with "+" and "-" before the number).

Juice said:
My BRS widebody is under way and I am in the position that I must lose my current WORK wheels in favor of something much wider and truely show worthy without the need for spacers. The problem that I am having is my personal taste in wheels leans more towards function (leight weight) than crazy chrome visuals with spinners and 22" DUBS. Most of the wheels that I have found that come in larger/wider sizes are somewhat tasteless. And forget trying to look wheels up by car type - there is no NSX Widebody category at tirerack.com. :wink:

I'm clueless here. Can sombody start pointing me in the right direction?

If you still need wheels let me know. We can custom make anything for you. Here are a few custom widebodies we have done. The Porsche has 19x14 in the rear with a 355/25/19 Pirelli Tire

iforge911_14.jpg

iforge911_17.jpg

sideshot.jpg

One Word
DAMN!!!!

Back