• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Daily Driver

I now have over 80k (s)miles on my 92
frown.gif
. My other car has been in the shop undoing some damage I did at Laguna Seca and I've had to daily drive my NSX.

I don't see how those of you that daily drive your cars can tolerate it. I feel like I'm wasting miles everytime I commute to work and back. Or worse, make a quick trip to the supermarket. Yeck. It's much more fun driving the car when I'm focusing on "driving the NSX" rather than just trying to get to point B.

I think you should be glad your other car is in the shop. Drive your NSX every time you get a chance. Some members tend to think that an NSX is only worth something if the miles are real low. These cars are meant to be driven. Your car has 80k miles on it. So what! Pile on 50k or 60k more. It will still be the same car. I only had my car for 11 months, but I put 14k miles on it. And it wasn't my daily driver. Drive this car into the ground. Then go buy another one in 5 years that only has 3k miles on it and start over. These cars are not going anywhere. Drive it and enjoy yourself!

Originally posted by JChoice:
Or worse, make a quick trip to the supermarket.

That's the only thing in your statement that I can agree with (I actually avoid taking my NSX to places where shopping carts are a threat)...otherwise, I love that my NSX is my daily driver.

I'm actually somewhat disappointed that I'll be under 7,500 miles when my NSX turns one year old next month. Work kept me from driving it more...I certainly would have jumped at the chance to put more spirited miles on her.

I just drove my boss' 355 the other day. I can't understand how people can own cars like these and NOT drive them daily (his daily driver is a M5). Of course, the Ferrari's costly maintenance bills would probably change THAT view.
wink.gif

------------------
--akira3D ('00 NSX-T red/black #113)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

[This message has been edited by akira3d (edited 26 February 2001).]

I just bought my 92 with 70K and use it as a daily driver. I only drive 3 miles to work though. The only chance I really get to put some miles on is when I visit friends in Oceanside. Take the toll road... just once and you'll see. There is an awesome straight, down a hill for miles right after you hand the toll booth person 2 bucks with rarely any cars around... no cops. Or at least I haven't seen any yet. You can blast it out of the gates and it's an awesome spot.
I love driving my car everywhere. The only thing I wouldn't do is take it on a long trip like Vegas or Frisco.

I have to concur with the statements above. I bought my '94 with 6,100 miles last March. I just passed 25,000 miles last week. I have also tracked the car about 1,500 miles. So far the NSX is the most reliable car that I've owned. It's also the first true "exotic" that I've owned. Go figure! I'm now going to be a loyal Honda/Acura customer fo as long as I can drive an automobile.

J,

I can somewhat relate to every post on this topic. I used to drive me step dad's old raggidy '90 Ford Ranger. Now I hate American cars. Its bad enough that I have to drive one for work; but, to drive one from work to home is terrible. Until a take home I have to drive to the Station and then get my assigned patrol vehicle. But I found myself looking for excuses to drive the NSX. It became addicting. Yeah I hated putting miles on her. I kept thinking "I am wearing her down, too many miles, I should be driving her". But the NSX is an addicting car to drive. Still If I had a second car I would use it to get to work until my take home. But occasionally I would be tempted to drive the NSX. Frankly When I am ready to buy another NSX I intend to keep this one and purchase a '97 or later model with low miles. I know it can hurt when you look down at your current mileage but just look up at the wide video game view of the road, lean back, and enjoy the ride.

Kevin

'91 blk/blk

P.S. Bought my NSX with 60K miles about 7 months ago and I am at 75K miles and most if that was on the highway.

I feel like I'm wasting miles everytime I commute to work and back.

Not me, I work at home, no trafic no miles on the NSX. I must be getting old though, the NSX is not a daily driver for me as it is ridiculous hard to get in and out and I think I get beat up a little while in there. It is still one awesome enjoyable ride.

I know the feeling JChoice, it's hard to look at the odometer and see the miles start to rack up. I too have 82K on my '91.
But would you rather be like one of those F-car guys that buys the car simply to have it? Then sells it with the lowest possible miles? That's criminal IMHO.
I pity those guys (or gals). Drive the car, that's what it was meant for! And like the above posts said: It's a Honda, it won't break!

P.S. Bought my NSX with 60K miles about 7 months ago and I am at 75K miles and most if that was on the highway.

And you wish that all of it was on the highway.
biggrin.gif

Sorry, Kevin, I couldn't resist continuing the line of humor established at NSXPO 2000.
wink.gif

I enjoy driving the car more when I know that "Today, I'm driving the NSX...!" rather than just jumping in the car to go to work.

I drive 25 miles to get to work and it's not a fun drive.

What's really neat is to have the car washed and waxed while it's raining and drive my other car in the rain. Then, when the rain stops, I jump into the NSX. Pulling off the car cover on a sunny day on a SHINY car is a a great feeling.

It's not like I don't drive the NSX often when I have my other car. I drive the NSX a one or two days during the week and all weekend.

Plus, my other car makes me smile too - but not grin ear to ear like a clean NSX on a nice day/evening.

Is it just me or am I halucinating; I physically feel DIRTY when my nsx is dirty and the car actually drives better when its clean...

maybe it has something to do with the increased aerodynamics of the car when it isnt dirty?
smile.gif

Dirt adds a lot of unnecessary weight to the NSX...it's probably not your imagination
wink.gif

And what's the deal with the weather here right now? L.A. now has more rainfall for the year than Seattle! My poor NSX needs a bath, but I'm not getting any opportunities to give her one...

[This message has been edited by akira3d (edited 28 February 2001).]

Send some of that rain down to Florida. We are in such a terrible drought that I can only wash my NSX twice a week by order of the water department. They have also been ticketing for not obeying the restrictions.

Seattle gets our earthquake (6.2 this morning) and we got their rain. Really what's going on with the weather these days!!!!I'm waiting for the sunny days so I can get my car looking sharp again.

I think they upped the magnitude to 7.0. I was actually working on the 11th floor in downtown Bellevue(15min east of Seattle) when the earthquake struck. Considering the magnitude of the earthquake, I'm surprised at how little damage there are from the quake.

As for the weather, we're gonna be heading into a pretty nasty drought this summer. Weather forecasters are saying that we're not going to be able to catch up in rain at all this year. We're over 60% behind in rain so far this year. It's been great this week for NSX driving, but still a bit too cold to take the Targa off though.

It's been great this week for NSX driving, but still a bit too cold to take the Targa off though.

Here, too.
biggrin.gif

Boy, can I vouch for the bad weather down in LA. I just bought my NSX a little over a week ago and only have driven it once, back home from the dealer! I was wondering if any of you NSXers drive your cars in the rain.

Hey man I drive my NSX every day I can but my daily "rider" unfortunately is a Boeing 7x7.

I've only been able to put 10k miles on my NSX in the past 18 months of which 3500 came from a road trip. Actually that trip to So. Cal. put more dirt and crap on my car than any rain day here in Portland. I had bugs smeared all over it from No. Cal and had to search for a hand wash in Sacramento. The sand on the road down south gave me a few sand blast chips. So really I won't worry about rain any more. Beside the NSX doesn't melt!
biggrin.gif

When you think about it you get your car wet when you wash it. At least up here when it rains it pretty clean rain and the roads seem to be pretty clean and not filled with dirt. I do have to admit I wash my car every time I've taken it out in the rain because I can't stand water spots.

------------------
Hal Jones
Lake Oswego, Oregon
95T Blk\Blk SportShift

I drove mine to work the other day and ended up running some errands around town. Didn't enjoy myself one bit. Too much traffic (clutch in, Clutch out).

It's a fine car thats easy to drive but I'm glad it's not my daily driver. Mine has 92k on it and it doesn't bother me to put more miles on it as I just don't drive it that much.

I think the main thing is I want to equate driving my NSX with having fun and not work. If I drove it every day it would become too familiar. Hell even my Silverado feels great when I havent driven it for a while.

Seperation makes the heart grow fonder.

Back