• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DAL Motorsports Enters One Lap of America

This post is to anounce the EXP4/DAL Motorsports NSX entry into the 22nd running of the Car & Driver "Cannonball One Lap of America" held April 30th - May 6th, 2005.
There will be two highly modified, supercharged NSX's competing in the one week, 3,500 mile event that has the drivers competing in over 11 track events that include road courses, ovals, drag strips and skid pads.

DAL is combining efforts with Mike Fitzpatrick(Fitzpatrick Racing) to campaign both NSXs, both are being title sponsored by EXP4 Additives www.addexp4.com.

The two car teams consist of Vaughn Duarte/Rob Morrison and Mike Fitzpatrick/Tim Richardson. The team's One Lap of America race manager is Dallas's own Jon York, which has been instrumental in organizing sponsorship and coordinating team business.

Tackling day to day coverage of the event will be Mark Hicks-worlds foremost "NSX Nut" and Derek Bumpas South Central's www.dallasNSX.com web master, who will handle daily downloads and posting of updates/photos.

For exact track dates, visit
www.onelapofamerica.com

The famous One Lap of America is unlike any other event in the world. There are many cloned type events but only one Cannonball One Lap. The "Car & Driver" Cannonball Run will expand this annual event to include a future Cannonball Series which will consist of televised 25 lap sprints later this year.

Notes about this year’s One Lap:
1. The 22nd running of the 1 Lap will be filmed and shown on TNN & Speed on several occasions after editing and such is completed.
2. A DVD documentary will be filmed following the exploits of the 1 Lap NSX's to include preparation, running of and between track events over the 7 days and 3500 miles.
3. Daily downloads/status/write-ups will be available at www.addexp4.com for those that wish to follow the campaign.

DAL Motorsports is grateful for our other generous sponsors: Goodson Acura, Science of Speed, Mobil/Exxon, and Honda.jp

Woot! Go Mike and Rob!

Local nsx-ers who will lead the pack!!

x

Good luck guys,prepare your minds and bodies for what is a physical challenge,and make sure you know those tracks!don't skimp on nutrition.

Go get'em guys! There's nothing I'd like to see more than for you guys to do very well. Look forward to the reading about your progress.

Good luck guys.

I just wish the Onelapof AMERICA included more courses in all of AMERICA (not just the east coast area):tongue:

Hey NSXLuvr,

The Cannonball One Lap changes tracks every year...sometimes 7,000 miles covering mid west, west and East, sometimes just 4000 miles and mostly east coast like this year...

It's not so much about the tracks as it is the ability to drive 90+ percent with minimal sleep over one week on tracks you probably have never seen before and fight to stay in top 10 finish points. Oh yeah...gotta be easy...after all...you get 1 recon lap to learn the track before they time you :biggrin:

Add in Radicals, Ultimas (worlds fastest 0-100-0 car), Sakers (Daytona prototype) and the run of the mill stuff... :rolleyes: SC Z06's, Porsce TT's, SC Vipers etc etc.

Vaughn and I are out of Dallas...we have to pass right past Tyler on way to One Lap at end of month...

Plenty of time to enter your NSX and join us.... :wink: For that matter...all NSX'rs,,,sign up at www.onelapofamerica.com

Were going to give it our best shot with the help from many of the Prime regulars. Many people are lending their go-fast parts and effort to make this happen. The list is long… I will briefly list some of the parts, but we will soon submit a full description along with details and maybe names if they agree.

RTR Rear Trunk Lid
SOS Rear hatch lid with Fresh Air
SOS Vented Hood
RTR Rear Wing
Big Brakes (Alcon)
DEI Cryo Cooling System for after cooling
17”/18” Techno Rims
Multiple Cameras (One Remote)
Functional Side Skirts
Supercharger Head Unit
Trailer
14-PSI Pulley
2nd Seat
More still coming or in the works…

Lots of people are helping to make this an easy and fun event.

No rules other then street legal… what ever that means. We now have License plates on our Cup car… not too far of a stretch since a Cup car is representing street stock, but it now closer resembles a World Challenge car on steroids. My first thought was Horsepower… something I got a taste of with the WC car, then having less then my street car in Cup… I needed my fix again (I’m not fooling myself or anyone else for that matter… it’s an addiction). Were surrounding our selves with Two cliché’s; A job worth doing is a job worth doing right and go for broke. Our target was 700 at the wheels, reliability is defiantly a concern but we have no interest in being mid pack. We chose to lead or break! I had to pull many late favors for this endeavor; my original engine build was pre paid, shipped for machine work and stolen (More on this when counsel says I can talk). 700 HP isn’t difficult to make it’s difficult to keep together in a road race application, so were building it to withstand over 1400 HP (Details later). Were also improving the flow, to my knowledge better flow then any 3.3 NSX on the planet, custom cams, custom valves, custom heads. It’s also Supercharged (something new that will be available after the race), After cooled, Cryo supported, with auto-fed nitrous for the straights. Truthfully we can make way more power then 700 but even 700 is difficult off the corners… on street tires :biggrin: (and there is the reliability thing). With that kind of power we needed many other improvements… like Brakes, Down-force, and better cooling. I promise to detail more as I get the time.

Thank you,
Everyone I called was supportive throughout this build.

Last edited:
RacerX-21 said:
RTR Rear Trunk Lid
SOS Rear hatch lid with Fresh Air
SOS Vented Hood
RTR Rear Wing
Big Brakes (Alcon)
DEI Cryo Cooling System for after cooling
17”/18” Techno Rims
Multiple Cameras (One Remote)
Functional Side Skirts
Supercharger Head Unit
Trailer
14-PSI Pulley
2nd Seat
More still coming or in the works…

Lots of people are helping to make this an easy and fun event.

Our target was 700 at the wheels

Damn.

Thanks Jeff, Actually...that's two "Street legal" Radicals. :biggrin:

Actually, I don't believe our version of "Street Legal NSX's" are thinking much about the Radicals......maybe a little curious about the other two recent entries:

Saker GTA Daytona Prototype, These are great track cars and those guys know how to drive them. www.sakermotorsports.com
1700 lb weight, 450+hp..big sticky tires on space frame

There are 2 Ultima GTR's entered as well... www.ultimacars.com
check out the video on their site of them beating the worlds record
of 0-100-0 in about 10 seconds :eek: better then the McCLar F1. 0-60 -2.8 sec.

This should be an interesting test of the NSX in an unlimited format against the fastest and best handling vehicles out there.

The event covers road courses, an oval or two, drag and bracket drag inter-twined with 3500 street miles between 18 odd track events scattered across east and midwest.

:wink:

I can't wait to see how you guys do. I know you were going well before but were very limited vs other cars because you had to keep pretty much Stock HP. With 700HP, you should haul! :eek:

Just to give an update.
I am shooting for a reliable 510rwhp for my NSX. Rob is going a little further in strengthening the botom end etc of his and is looking to push the 700hp mark.

Special Thanks to Jon York and Chris at Science of Speed
List of Mods NSX #89 Mike Fitzpatrick
'94 NSX
BBSC Novi 2000 with AEM and large intercooler.
Rear Hatch with Scoop- SOS
Taitec- S-Tai Rear wing-SOS
Taitec rear diffuser-SOS
Taitec S- tai front bumper-SOS
Taitec NSX-R Hood-SOS
Volk's-
Custom Brembo Billet Calipers- Type 5 Race 328-28 Rotors
Michelin PS2 tires- 235f/295r
6 speed w comptech stg2
Carbon Recaro Race seats
Defi gauges
Moton triple adjustable
Complete non compliant suspension- Rob M/ Dal
Ron Davis Race Radiator
Accusump
Comptech Headers-
Taitec Exhaust
Will list more later

Goal is to be under 2500lbs and over 500 rwhp.

You guys are animals :cool:

Edgemts said:
Goal is to be under 2500lbs and over 500 rwhp.

Our local SCCA NSX is at 2300 lbs, so it is attainable. Good luck!

I watched the one-lap a few years back, at Road America, and I got the sense of total morons mixed with some great drivers. What a Motley Crue! I wish that the event would be a bit more professional, and lean more towards "track" instead of "commute"

<<<You guys need any cheerleaders?
Its been awhile since I saw you last run VIR!
Susan>>>

Chearleaders? Absolutely! I love chearleaders..;-)

RP-Motorsports said:
Our local SCCA NSX is at 2300 lbs, so it is attainable. Good luck!

I watched the one-lap a few years back, at Road America, and I got the sense of total morons mixed with some great drivers. What a Motley Crue! I wish that the event would be a bit more professional, and lean more towards "track" instead of "commute"

Unfortunately, with the added weight of the SC/intercooler etc, its a little harder than you may think. Still has to be street legal also.Lights etc.

One lap is supposed to be for street cars on street rubber. So the "commute" is part of the test for Car, tires and driver. Anyone could take a race car and go from track to track in a trailer, get more sleep, no wear and tear on the car etc. Then it would be just a series of autocrosses on tracks.
I agree there is a large diversity among drivers, cars, etc. But thats what makes it an event everyone can get involved in, watching or participating.

"bit more professional"- well once you try to go to 11-12 different venues in 8 days you may understand that they dont have a lot of time to set up large displays etc that make a normal Pro race seem more professional. I feel that they do a pretty good Job considering the ground they cover and the size of the event they put on. And yes I have been racing professionally for 15 years. :wink:

By the way next year they are going back to Road America and it will be a longer "commute". Texas, AZ, WI, etc. :smile:

Mid-Atlantic area One-Lap support available

I'd like to offer the services (and fan support) of the mid-Atlantic NSX group. Let us know what we can do to help when you visit Summit Pt. , Mason/Dixon and VIR. Whatever we can provide in the way of food/lodging/parts etc. please let me know. We have over 70 NSXers on the mid-Atlantic email list.

At a minimum, we should be able to have NSX supporters attending the tracks above, plus possibly Roebling Road.

Good Luck and GO FAST !!! -Howard Stanton

Re: Mid-Atlantic area One-Lap support available

DCNSX said:
I'd like to offer the services (and fan support) of the mid-Atlantic NSX group. Let us know what we can do to help when you visit Summit Pt. , Mason/Dixon and VIR. Whatever we can provide in the way of food/lodging/parts etc. please let me know. We have over 70 NSXers on the mid-Atlantic email list.

At a minimum, we should be able to have NSX supporters attending the tracks above, plus possibly Roebling Road.

Good Luck and GO FAST !!! -Howard Stanton

New info on the One Lap Car http://www.dalmotorsports.com/olaDALNSX.asp

Thanks Howard,

You never know when were going to need help, but the one thing that comes to mind is help with Nitrous and CO2 refills… I have not yet planned a good strategy :confused: I have extra bottles but if I consume a whole bottle at one event, I will need to do a few refills for the series. I own a filling station, but it requires a compressor and storage for the really big and heavy bottle. Another option is to chart out speed shops that can fill along the route… problem with this is timing, I can’t guaranty the time during business hours. If I could find enough bottles and friends to have one at each event… that would be optimal :biggrin:

I would welcome just having other NSX and road racing enthusiasts at the track… Umbrella models would be good :smile:

Thanks for the support!

Rob Morrison

Back