• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

dampen sound from the rear firewall

the previous owner of my white NSX removed the black sound dampening material from the rear firewall. In addition, the panels in back have the hooks ripped out from being taken out so much. Even with the panels in place, the car is overbearingly loud. As much as I like loud aggressive cars, with all the road trips I have been doing, I need to do something about this.

I've tried dynamat with limited success. I was curious if anyone has any experience, such as with sound insulation for stereo installs. I'm looking for a lightweight solution. Possibly some sort or expanding foam that will fill the crevasses? I plan to fix and replace the interior trim as well as add some more insulation to quiet the cabin.

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

www.ScienceofSpeed.com - Click for more info

Chris, try www.partsexpress.com. They are a way cool electronics/audio supply source. I've done business with them several times for pro-audio parts, and I've always been pleased.With regard to Dynamats, a good alternative is to go to your local home supply store and buy a roll of Ice/snow shield, which is a rubberized, asphalt-impregnated self-stick material used on roofs,underneath the first few courses of roofing shingles. It's virtually the same stuff as Dynamats, and a heck of a lot cheaper. I don't have experience using it on cars, but it works great for sound-deadening rooms in studios and home theaters(use it between two sheets of drywall).Anyway, I think you'll like Parts Express.
Keith

Chris, I also have broken hooks for my back panel but I keep it in place with Velcro (I affixed the Velcro with crazy glue). This was after some warranty work where the dealer reinstalled the back panel properly, but I was still being bothered by some plastic rubbing noises so I did my own work.

The panel does a great job at killing noise. Riding without it, even with the black rubber coating there, I heard a LOT more of the sewing-machine goodness. I'd imagine with an SC and no panel the noise would kill a conversation.

Jeff C

Hi Chris

I did a lot of research on sound proofing a few years ago when I was building my home studio. Bottom line is—there’s no substitute for density. Foam insulation is not that dense and will probably not give you the desired noise reduction you are looking for. In a car, it seems the only way to achieve good noise reduction is with a thick rubber mat like the dynamats. These mats are relatively heavy and I’m not sure you’ll want to add the weight to your car...but maybe only behind the driver’s seat <g>. Where foam insulation helps is when it’s sandwiched between two pieces of dense material like the fiberboard of the interior trim pieces and the rubber firewall barrier.

DanO

p.s. i also use velcro to hold the trim peices.

Great idea on the velcro! I'll do that to mine as well.

Originally posted by SolidCitizen:
Chris, I also have broken hooks for my back panel but I keep it in place with Velcro (I affixed the Velcro with crazy glue). This was after some warranty work where the dealer reinstalled the back panel properly, but I was still being bothered by some plastic rubbing noises so I did my own work.

The panel does a great job at killing noise. Riding without it, even with the black rubber coating there, I heard a LOT more of the sewing-machine goodness. I'd imagine with an SC and no panel the noise would kill a conversation.

Jeff C

Chris,
Your first post about excessive noise in the drivers compartment was when you described you drive back from having the supercharger mod and subsequent testing at the track in NV. Question: is the loudness associated with the supercharger? If that is the case, those of us that are planning to have the supercharger installed should be aware of all side effects.

Roy

[This message has been edited by Roy (edited 02 December 2001).]

Chris, what you need to use is Stinger Roadkill Carpet Mat. I used it in my Jeep to cut down on road noise and it worked great. It is an energy absorbing foam pad with a highly damped decoupled barrier(read rubber mat)designed to reduce acoustical noise and vibration. It would work perfect for you. private me if you need some.--Brett

increased noise from the engine after Supercharging is perfectly normal. Chris' Car has insulation taken out of it which makes it a shade more irritating than it should be.

Couple that with the Tein Type-RA Suspension and A-032R Tires and his car is probably quite obnoxious on long trips..

Back