• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

(Daytime Running Lights) DRL DIY for Imported cars to Canada

I created a DRL DIY back in 2009 and I continue to get requests for the writeup.
This is specifically for 1991-2001 cars, but there is a bulb socket on the 2002-2005 headlamp assemblies for a DRL bulb using the exact same writeup.
NO cutting of existing wiring. I just add a circuit with replacement bulb sockets in the front park lamps. I remove the existing light bulb or move it to the new added replacement sockets.
I have done this on a dozen or more cars. Never an issue. They have all passed Out of Province Inspections.
It is clean and it actually uses the DRL fuse socket in the cabin. This does not dim your dash lamps. It works as expected.

Maybe this can be added to the DIY section of the new NSXPrime Library?

I created a DRL DIY back in 2009 and I continue to get requests for the writeup.
This is specifically for 1991-2001 cars, but there is a bulb socket on the 2002-2005 headlamp assemblies for a DRL bulb using the exact same writeup.
NO cutting of existing wiring. I just add a circuit with replacement bulb sockets in the front park lamps. I remove the existing light bulb or move it to the new added replacement sockets.
I have done this on a dozen or more cars. Never an issue. They have all passed Out of Province Inspections.
It is clean and it actually uses the DRL fuse socket in the cabin. This does not dim your dash lamps. It works as expected.

Maybe this can be added to the DIY section of the new NSXPrime Library?
I noticed in a previous thread a DRL module was discussed. This method it seems, does not require one, nor diodes. I am about to tackle this on my ‘95 U.S. car, just wondering why others have wired in a module too.

I just add a circuit with replacement bulb sockets in the front park lamps. I remove the existing light bulb or move it to the new added replacement sockets.
I like DRLs, planning to do something like this on my 2001, and have a couple questions.

Thanks for doing this, just want to make sure I understand a couple details.

So, you're essentially rewiring a light in the front parking light location so it goes on automatically when the car is running, right?

Looks like you used a brighter bulb, but seems like that bulb would fit in the existing parking light socket?

Instead of modifying the lamp assembly slightly to use a different socket, wouldn't it be easier to just rewire the existing socket to get power from your new power source?

Thanks-

I like DRLs, planning to do something like this on my 2001, and have a couple questions.

Thanks for doing this, just want to make sure I understand a couple details.

So, you're essentially rewiring a light in the front parking light location so it goes on automatically when the car is running, right?

Looks like you used a brighter bulb, but seems like that bulb would fit in the existing parking light socket?

Instead of modifying the lamp assembly slightly to use a different socket, wouldn't it be easier to just rewire the existing socket to get power from your new power source?

Thanks-
I'm also exploring this idea. I particularly like how @Kaz-kzukNA1 did his DRL. My understanding is that all NSXs have the wiring for the DRL in the car- it is the blue HW090 plug that sits on top of each A/C condenser.

20181208_150822.jpg

The only thing that is missing is the DRL control unit that sits under the glovebox. Not sure if the control unit is still for sale, but in theory you could wire up a simple relay to energize those blue plugs through the existing DRL circuit and fuse when the ignition is on.

Factory DRL modules do a bunch of things that IMO you don't need. They turn the DRLs off when the parking brake is on, and when the headlights are on.

In cars that have fog lights, I modify the circuitry to allow the fog lights to go on without the headlights being on. I've done this on my NB Miata, 993, and an E36 M3 I used to have. Then if you leave the fog light switch "on," they come on when you start the car.

Since this car doesn't have fog lights, putting brighter bulbs in the front parking lights and rewiring to have them come on when the car is running seems like a good solution.

I'm also exploring this idea. I particularly like how @Kaz-kzukNA1 did his DRL. My understanding is that all NSXs have the wiring for the DRL in the car- it is the blue HW090 plug that sits on top of each A/C condenser.

View attachment 182885

The only thing that is missing is the DRL control unit that sits under the glovebox. Not sure if the control unit is still for sale, but in theory you could wire up a simple relay to energize those blue plugs through the existing DRL circuit and fuse when the ignition is on.
The DRL module is no longer available. It hasn't been for 20 years. The wiring on US cars 1991-2001 has never been confirmed to be DRL or fog lamps. Neither were an option on US cars.
On a 2002-2005 car, the headlamps do have a built in (park lamp) socket that can be used for DRL purposes. It is on the top portion of the headlamp module. Same process to add DRL on a 2002-2005 lamps as previous popup years.

Last edited:

View attachment 182885

Fuse #3 in the cockpit does exactly what you want for power on/off DRL function. It is the DRL fuse. Use it with an Add-A-Fuse. Done.

Back