• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Deciding between coupe and T-top

I'm a new member here and its been fantastic! Just needed some opinions on picking between a fixed roof and a targa. I hear there is some performance differences, creeking etc. Would love to hear everyones opinion as this would be my first NSX.

Welcome! For me, I think it comes down to whether or not you would ever want the top off. Personally, I dislike convertibles and sunroofs, so I got a coupe. Also important to note, 91-94 NSXs only came as a coupe. 95-05s are almost all targas (with the exception of a handful of NA2 coupes which fetch real big $$).

Welcome! For me, I think it comes down to whether or not you would ever want the top off. Personally, I dislike convertibles and sunroofs, so I got a coupe. Also important to note, 91-94 NSXs only came as a coupe. 95-05s are almost all targas (with the exception of a handful of NA2 coupes which fetch real big $$).
ahh ok makes sense! I love the T-tops but love how the coupe is all black on top! I dont think ill be tracking a NSX, would love to but too risky for my wallet lol

You can always get a targa and just wrap the roof. I've seen it done, it looks good.

It may be a case of what is available and the 'other' things that you want. If you want the larger 3.2 l engine, the 2000 and later ABS system, power steering ... then you are into a later car and the majority of later cars are targa. Coupes are available in the later production years ; but, they are rare and you are probably going to pay a price premium.

NSX Prime used to have a wiki with the changes by production year. That is no longer available; but, it is archived on the wayback machine internet archive.

Go through the changes by year and it can help you decide whether there are important features you want that may predetermine your coupe versus T roof decision.

If it comes down to just a targa versus coupe decision, I have a 2000 targa. I purchased largely on the basis of what was available at the time (2011) and what was in good condition with a good maintenance record. The targa was a novelty and I used it on nice days at the start; but, the novelty has worn off and in the last 8 years, the only time it has been off is to clean and lubricate the gaskets. If I could find exactly the same car in a coupe I would take it over the targa.

The targa versus coupe will be a subjective assessment. If you decide you like the idea of the targa, take into consideration the following:
- the front (A pillar) and rear (B pillar) weather stripping is mind buggeringly expensive to purchase ( around $1500 list each) and very difficult (expensive) to replace. You need to be careful with the gaskets and do regular maintenance on them to preserve them.
- the roof panel is moderately heavy and awkward to remove / install
- store the roof panel in the clamshell over the engine and it will get really hot. In order to re install the roof panel if it starts to rain while using the car I have some insulated gloves in the trunk so that I can handle a hot roof panel after using the car
- I have a black interior. Park the car for 15 minutes in sunshine and you will burn your cheeks on the leather when you get in.

I'm a new member here and its been fantastic! Just needed some opinions on picking between a fixed roof and a targa. I hear there is some performance differences, creeking etc. Would love to hear everyones opinion as this would be my first NSX.
Welcome to Prime!

If you are not a hard core track driver, then the main benefit of the coupe- rigidity- doesn't really apply. The T-top is wonderful for fair weather driving and really adds an additional fun factor to an already fun car. You'll pay more for a T, generally, because they are far fewer in number than the coupes.

That said, even with all the aftermarket bracing, you will get cowl shake on the T at the track. Cutting out the roof does make a difference and there's no way around that. Though, a NSX-T is far more rigid than most other sports cars of the same generation.

Hey Honcho, did you accidentally reverse this?
No. 91-94 coupes make up almost 6,000 of the roughly 8,000 NSXs sold in the US. The vast majority of the T's were produced in 95 and 96 (~1,200). There are a lot more coupes on the road than T's. NA2 coupes, though, are total unicorns!

Got it, i thought you were speaking overall :)

To the OP I have a 98 targa and I wrapped the cockpit black. Looks great against the yellow.

there is cowl shake on rough roads, but I have some type R front cross bars and a pretty robust old comptech harness bar that ties into both B pillars and the floor....pretty stify wiffy..

I haven't thought of this question in a long time. Most likely because it hardly ever gets asked anymore.

Coupe = Lighter, more headroom, Stiffer, generally cheaper because built in much larger #'s

Targa = all OBD2 so if you like to mod (a lot) probably stick with an OBD1 coupe, heavier, creakier, more refined, power steering, option 6spd depending on year, heavy flywheel, but can't beat the top down experience for those casual drives

I own a coupe but like ,othest have mentioned at the time purchase it was supply and demand and price and condition etc.. prob would have preferred a targa as it is a garage queen and only used on really nice weather days roof would have remained off like the my wife's summertime convertible does (except when covered for winter ) so like others have mentioned as well you have to decide if monochromatic color and some bump in performance important to you and I imagine th condition price location and other mods will dictate potential purchase... best of luck and look forward to seeing the new addition..

Here is a little insight on the first (1995) targa...

Cowl shake in the Targas is real when the top is off. Not because the chassis isnt stiff enough in itself; the side sills on the targas are way stronger than non-targas; but that big heavy piece of glass is sitting way up high on a box thats not diagonally braced so it wobbles side to side on bumps unless the top in place to steady it. Its not much in real movement (tiny fractions of an inch) but its enough you do feel it in the steering wheel when you hit a pothole. Good news is with the top on, and some front bracing, it becomes unnoticable and a NSX Targa feels plenty stiff. Sidesill Comparison Coupe vs Targa.jpg

I would have preferred to have the stiffness and simplicity of a coupe, but I wanted a NA2 and don't have unlimited money. Targa it was.

Get a tube of Shin-Etsu Silicon Grease, part # 08798-9013. A tube lasts a long time. You don't have to use tons of it. Just apply a small amount, and massage it with your fingers.
For the targa seals and the rubber on both side of the doors, do you use a small pea sized amount and rub it on there?

What else can it be or should be used for year around? I dont do this my Nsx's and would love to start a regimen.

Back