• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Detail on NSX Modified Single Turbo!

We will be coming to the CalCoastalNSX meeting with one of the turbo cars provided everything goes as planned. For those who are on the East Coast/or out of state who are interested in the Turbo Kit, our current policy is that we will not sell the kit only(this policy may change in the future). Installations must be done by us, due to quality assurance. Prior arrangements can be made for group purchases(at least 3 people) and we will fly out to do the installs. Pricing and options will be released once we have established everything. Thank you for your interest. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

[This message has been edited by NSXMODIFIED (edited 05 October 2001).]

Guys, I don't know about you, but I am excited about all these new setups coming out! I am saving my pennies everyday. We east coast guys need to be in contact, and figure out if we do decide to go with whatever works best for us or whatever arises in terms of superchargers or turbos, so we can figure out group buys, installs, etc. Just wanted to send out a generic post to see if anyone was thinking along the same lines and again how excited I am about the new advances! Talk to you guys soon.

------------------
Jason

Originally posted by Jason Weaver:
Guys, I don't know about you, but I am excited about all these new setups coming out! I am saving my pennies everyday. We east coast guys need to be in contact, and figure out if we do decide to go with whatever works best for us or whatever arises in terms of superchargers or turbos, so we can figure out group buys, installs, etc. Just wanted to send out a generic post to see if anyone was thinking along the same lines and again how excited I am about the new advances! Talk to you guys soon.

I'm with you on the group buy.

[This message has been edited by SNDSOUL (edited 07 October 2001).]

Originally posted by Jason Weaver:

Jason, Sndsoul, and me that makes three that are very interested. Count me in.

are any of these cool cars making it up to NSXPO in Elkhart Lake next week?

If there's anyplace that this type of muscle (OK torque) can really be showcased, its Road America (high speed 4+ mile roadcourse with 3 LONG straightaways)

Dyno shmyno... proof is on putting the power down in the real world.

With a single turbo running only 6lbs of boost, what would the milage limitation be before you'd want to rebuild the engine with new rings and seals?

My NSX has 110k miles on it and it RUNS GREAT!

-Electro

Originally posted by Electro:
With a single turbo running only 6lbs of boost, what would the milage limitation be before you'd want to rebuild the engine with new rings and seals? My NSX has 110k miles on it...

It's really not a question of if it's a turbo or a supercharger, or what psi is being run.. It really just boils down to the amount of added power that the stock engine can take (given its condition).

"Only 6psi" could turn out to make too much power on one (efficient, intercooled) setup, or could be not nearly as much power on a less-efficient setup (especially if it lacks an intercooler).

I know this doesn't directly answer your question... But if there's someone who has a high-mileage engine that's running an SC setup, I thought I'd point out that it would probably be a good datapoint for you even though they might not have a turbo or necessarily be at 6psi. It's the power they're churning out that counts.

Best,
Marc
97 NSX-T TT

Being a single turbo setup, I am assuming the turbo is larger than those used on twin turbo setups. As such, I am wondering what kind of turbo lag this kit will have and its effects on streetability.

I could be wrong, but it appears that this kit has been designed with track use in mind so that the higher hp potential of a larger, single turbo wins over a smaller twin turbo setup.

I would imagine that for street driving a twin turbo setup would be better... though Larry may have very well worked his magic into this kit such that lag is not a major factor.

Originally posted by SpeedDemon:
It's really not a question of if it's a turbo or a supercharger, or what psi is being run.. It really just boils down to the amount of added power that the stock engine can take (given its condition).

"Only 6psi" could turn out to make too much power on one (efficient, intercooled) setup, or could be not nearly as much power on a less-efficient setup (especially if it lacks an intercooler).

I know this doesn't directly answer your question... But if there's someone who has a high-mileage engine that's running an SC setup, I thought I'd point out that it would probably be a good datapoint for you even though they might not have a turbo or necessarily be at 6psi. It's the power they're churning out that counts.

Best,
Marc
97 NSX-T TT

Marc, Well the kit that's mentioned above includes an intercooler right? My question is though, the maximum amount of power a 6psi setup could run with an intercooler would be a stable setup for a car with over 110k miles? The engine in my car runs VERY strong... When I had the oil pan gasket replaced I had to take off the exhaust pipe that runs underneath the engine... so I was able to easily inspect the Oxygen sensor... VERY very clean... and the insides of the exhaust manifolds were spotless... along with the oil pan and oil pick-up element...

I'm sure after a while, it wouldn't be a bad idea to rebuild the engine with gaskets, seals and rings... but I wouldn't want to do that for a while...

Which turbo kit was it that has an electric motor that pre-spools up the turbo to reduce lag?

I'm very interested in this setup!

-Electro

Originally posted by 8000RPM:
... I could be wrong, but it appears that this kit has been designed with track use in mind so that the higher hp potential of a larger, single turbo wins over a smaller twin turbo setup.

Given a stock bottom end, both can be tuned to produce the maximum safe HP. With larger twins, there is no reason a TT could not produce as much as you like. The real difference is that the small Aerodynes have the variable vane technology and therefore spool up faster. The other difference is cost. The Aerodynes are around $1700 each. When all is said and done, a single turbo can be made to work very well and need not be significantly slower to get boost than a TT.

[This message has been edited by sjs (edited 08 October 2001).]

Actually, I'm pretty sure of it. That doesn't stop anyone from purchasing one and having him install that as well. His higher HP turbo that puts out over 500HP uses an intercooler. According to him, the cheaper setup produces plenty of power without it.
Once again, I'm no expert, just a messenger since I talk to him on a regular basis. I think that question will be answered next week at the meeting. I'm looking forward to it.

I hope to see a full write up and photos of this event for those of us on the far east coast that cant make it!! *HINT HINT!*
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I too am interested in the group buy... the more the better!!

-Electro

Small change in plans. He will be unveiling the turbo this Thursday at the monthly meeting at NSX Modified. Expect lots of pics and minutes on Friday morning.

I will make sure to note the exact fuel management system being and as many details as I can get. I will also try to bring a small tape recorder. Expect lots of pictures and info this Friday.

Some people are missing the point that this a custom system. The reson Larry is using a no frills approach to the fuel management is because many of his customers do not want to spend any time tuning or playing with the system. They want to start the car, have it always work, and never think about it again like the Comptech SC. His base system is designed around that plug and play premise. He said that he started with an HKS system and then decided against it for this reason.
Anyone is welcome to use ANY fuel management system they desire, and he will tune it. He has tuned various turbos on the NSX with almost every system you can think of. If you want a $7800 Motec system, be his guest and buy one. He will tune that baby like there is no tomorrow.
My point is that some of you are nitpicking and saying, well he doesn't have A,B,C and D and he should. I wish I could give more info, but I'm not knowledgeable enough in that area to do so. Everything of what it might or might not have or do is speculation until someone (I) can post the final details on Friday after the meeting. It may very well have many things we were not expecting. Also expect charts, even for the 550+HP version.
And remember, anything it does not have, does not mean it can not be added. If you are unhappy with the simple approach, and want the FULL DEAL, pay the extra few hundred dollars for what you want and give it to him to use as part of your setup.
There are and will be customers who opt for this approach.
Having spent lots of time at his shop, I have seen too many various custom turbo setups to mention. They were all different depending on what that particular customer wanted.
This cheaper alternative was an answer to all of us who were complaining (including myself) about the ridiculous cost of turbo or supercharging. He has come out with a system that I expect to be reliable, with a quality turbo, that will put out 360HP to the wheels. It will be a plug and play setup similar to the Comptech SC that requires no further tuning and hassle if the customer chooses. This was his goal for a reason as this is what many of his customers ask for. For those of us who want more, I'm sure he can provide it. His proof of more will come in the other engine he will be showcasing that night that is pushing 550+ w/ charts to back it up. I will have pics. Believe me I will have pics.
smile.gif

I have used Larry for some time and love his work. Because he is so busy and rarely posts, I took it upon myself to try and post some information about this kit that many of us have been waiting for.
Everyone has the right to support or find fault in what he is doing, but lets please wait until we actually have firm details first. We can't judge any of the setup as questionable until we actually know the details of what he is doing. He is an awesome tuner and I am sure he has an explanation for everyone's concerns.

I definetly think modular is the way to go. That way you can do it in stages if you dont have the cash flow. This is very similar to that of the Vortech setups. Various stages that scale up in price/hp.

Ken

Originally posted by ilya:
Small change in plans. He will be unveiling the turbo this Thursday at the monthly meeting at NSX Modified.

Larry will still be attending the CalCoastalNSX meeting in Calabasas on the 18th. For those who cannot make it to Huntington Beach can come to Calabasas, just a week later.
Red Robin
24005 Calabasas Rd.
Calabasas,Ca.
(818)223-8112.
7:30 p.m.

Regards,
John Richards
(805)650-0000

Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like he was showing it there, but not at the other meeting. He will still be going to the following meeting in Calabasas.
I meant to say that since he is showing it this Thursday, I can have details up for everyone this Friday.
smile.gif

I'll be there at the meeting in Calabasas as well. Maybe our waitress will want another ride in my NSX.
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by ilya (edited 10 October 2001).]

Is the meeting tomorrow (Thursday) an open invitation? If so, can someone please tell me what time everything starts and what the address is to Larry's shop?

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by netNSX:
I definetly think modular is the way to go... Ken

Well, yes and no. If you want to be able to add things like an intercooler and auxiliary injectors later, you need to build the base plumbing and placement of components accordingly, as well as selecting a turbo that will work well for the lesser configuration and still be adequate for the higher levels. That means careful design and at least some degree of compromise somewhere.

However, I can't conceive of a good reason to leave out an intercooler under any circumstances. Compared to the rest of the system it is cheap HP and safety margin.

Back