• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Detail on NSX Modified Single Turbo!

sjs,

I completely agree with you. From what I hear the Vortech system is going to be staged with a base system w/ aftercooler, the upgraded system with complete exhaust system from the headers out, and the complete set-up with tuning and some other add ons.

Ken

As far as placement of the intercooler on a turbo setup, would the only practical place be right on top for say the air scoop that can be installed? Where else can you easily put an intercooler and it still get good air flow to cool the air inside it?

-Electro

A common intercooler location is down by the wheels where they get the air flowing under the car and into the wheel wells.

***Is the meeting tomorrow (Thursday) an open invitation? If so, can someone please tell me what time everything starts and what the address is to Larry's shop?***

I'm positive that you are welcome to come. You can't expect someone to join a club before they've even had a chance to meet some people and see what we do.

The meeting is at 7:30pm Thursday and you can get address and info at www.nsxmodified.com

Originally posted by Lud:
A common intercooler location is down by the wheels where they get the air flowing under the car and into the wheel wells.

Yep - that's the location where my intercoolers are (behind each rear wheel).

Lud (or anyone else) - Is it really a decent airflow location in practice for the NSX? I've heard that (in theory) the rear wheel well is a high-pressure location and could push air through the intercooler (a good thing), but.. It just seems so tight in there, with the I/C so near the rear tire.. It's hard to imagine much air flowing through.. ?

As far as intercoolers and air temps go in general.. This truly makes a noticeable difference in performance. With the cooler air temps we're having in L.A. right now.. When I first get on the gas with cold I/C's.. The power is very noticeably stronger than compared to warmer days and/or a heated-up intercooler..

I am really enjoying the car getting sideways when getting into the gas (and the clutch is already engaged).
smile.gif
Brings a grin to my face ever time. If only I knew of a big safe parking lot area away from probing eyes, I would love to let loose on the gas in first gear and turn the steering wheel
smile.gif

Marc

I know that in some cases, while doing some drag racing or other short run competitive races that you can sit bags of ice on your intercoolers to super cool the air... I'm sure the only way you'd be able to do that is if the intercooler is on top with the air scoop built into a lexan hatch....

I'm sure the ice would make a huge difference!

What about this though... Couldn't you rig up some sort of freon cooled intercooler? That would probably require the A/C system to have another condenser near the intercooler... could be a self contained unit. That would be pretty cool

-Electro

Originally posted by Electro:
As far as placement of the intercooler on a turbo setup, would the only practical place be right on top for say the air scoop that can be installed? Where else can you easily put an intercooler and it still get good air flow to cool the air inside it? -Electro

Another option is a water cooled IC which does not require airflow on it. Then the water used by it is cooled by a separate "radiator". Call it and air to water to air system. Engine coolant could be used but it's already pretty hot, so a separate system and pump is better. I’ve been considering this as a possible future upgrade experiment to replace my two small air to air units.

Originally posted by nsxbadboy:
You could always spray nitrous on it.
Joe

Actually, I've considered using my Aquamist water injection to spray a fine mist of 50/50 water & methanol over the fins. I would use a master switch in the car plus an intake air temperature sensor at the exit of each cooler. (There is already a suitable fitting on them) So many ideas, so little time.

Originally posted by SpeedDemon:
Yep - that's the location where my intercoolers are (behind each rear wheel).

Lud (or anyone else) - Is it really a decent airflow location in practice for the NSX? I've heard that (in theory)

Marc - Without some serious aerodynamic testing or modeling anything you hear is just theory. I don't think anyone outside Honda has serious data on air flow at that part of the car. That being said, it is my opinion that airflow is probably decent in that area, but not as good as if they were in a direct airstream (as on most front-engine intercooled turbo setups).

Originally posted by Lud:
Marc - Without some serious aerodynamic testing or modeling anything you hear is just theory. I don't think anyone outside Honda has serious data on air flow at that part of the car. That being said, it is my opinion that airflow is probably decent in that area, but not as good as if they were in a direct airstream (as on most front-engine intercooled turbo setups).

Seems to me you could get at least an indication from a simple air speed indicator mounted back there for a while. Anyone with access to used small aircraft parts?

Back