• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Detroit Service

With Devin out of the picture at Payn I am looking to have a dealer service my car. I need a timing belt, tune up, all fluids changes, filters, and.. I have gotten quotes from both Suburban and Jeffrey Acura. Both quotes are about the same, in the low $3,000 range. Anyone have experience with either? The car was purchased and has been serviced by Jeffrey since new.

I purchased the car late last year and have only driven the car about 30 miles. I do not want to drive the car until the service is complete as it appears that the timing belt has never been changed. The car has 35,000 miles. With the weather improving I would really like to get the car on the road. Thanks for any information you might be able to supply.

Mike or Walt are the technicians I would recommend at Suburban. I have Mike work on my NSX. The service advisor I would recommend would be Carl. Sorry I don't have their last name info with me ...

If you end up going with Suburban, let me know how the quote and service process goes ...

BTW, why is Payne not servicing vehicles?

G'uck!

Regards,
Richard Lo

Richard,

Thanks for the reply.

I don't think that Payn is out of the business of servicing cars but Devin has taken a new position as a manufactures representative. If I were not getting into the engine I would go through Payn as they are less than 1/2 mile from the office. Given that I have the timing belt to do I am going to have all the other things done at the same time at the same location. Without Devin I don't have the comfort level with NSX engine work at Payn.

Did Suburban do your timing belt? They told me they have done about 10. I just want to make sure that I have someone who knows the car well and is not just reading a manual to find out what to do next.

Dave

I haven't done a timing belt service (yet). However, Carl has told me that Mike or Walt has experience working on NSX(s).

They recently did tranmission work on a black NSX. I'm not sure if that person is a member on NSXPRIME. Maybe they could share his/her experience w/ Suburban.

Ryan,

I purchased the car at the end of the 04 driving season and just now got it out of storage. The timing belt is way over due and I decided not to drive the car, I can keep my foot out of it, until I was able to get the belt replaced and all the general maint items addressed. The car goes into the dealer this afternoon. Since I am going to Florida this weekend it looks like it will be a another few weeks before it comes out.

Are you planning to attend Baker's car show on May 1st? I will be there but planning to drive my 911 as the Porsche club has 40 parking spots held. Let me know when your going to be back in the area so that we can meet.

Dave

Hey guys look for an 04 blue NSX there as my Dad and I wil be there. We love Porsches so we thought we would go check them out. Hopefully the weather is nice........... :smile:

I would NOT recommend going to Suburban Acura...I used to live in Clarkston and always took my car to PAYNE...I know Devin is not working there any more, but I heard of some of the bad experiences from Devin in regards to the service customers received at the local Acura dealers...Devin was always fixing the bad problems from these dealerships...

Dave...try Datsun Doctor in Waterford off of Airport road...I have been to them before and the owner knows what he is doing as well and he is honest...

AJ

Last edited:
Ryan, looking forward to hearing from you the next time your in the area.

ekin95, as long as the weather is decent I'll be at Baker's. Look me up my 911 is silver with burgundy, fuch's wheels.

AJ, thanks for the information on Suburban. I dropped the car off yesterday and met with Mike. Seemed like a nice guy. From his response to my many questions it seems that he know the cars well enough and said he has done at least 10 timing belts. I had very good luck with Suburban Infiniti Service (even if I had lots of problems with my G35) and are hoping that the Acura store is similar.

I'll keep people posted regarding the outcome of the service. They are doing the timing belt, water pump, new timing belt cover, drive belts, tune up, valve adjustment, oil change with mobile one, all filters, flushing the cooling and brake systems, transaxle with synthetic, will be inspecting brakes, cooling system hoses, and brake lines. Quote is a little over $3,000.

Yesterday was the first day I had really driven the car and I can't wait to get it back! It was very hard to keep the rev's down but knowing that the timing belt was way past due I did not want to risk a melt down. Once it gets back in my hands I'll be visiting the 8 grand red line as much as possible. :biggrin:

Got the car back from Suburban last night. I had a list of item and asked that they inpsect and advise other work required.

Replace the timing belt, drive belts, water pump, new style timing belt cover housing, fuel and air filter, wiper blades, flushed brake and engine coolent, new brake lines (rubber at wheel ends), synthetic transaxle fluid and engine oil, tune up with valve adjustment. Total: $2,900. Mike worked on the car and he seemed to know what he was doing.

I still think the cars runs like it is missing at idle, and just off idle. It sounds fine outside the car but inside, and through the steering wheel and seat it feels like it is running rough. Tech said the car was running fine. Once off idle the car runs great. Now that the T belt is replaced I have been able to run it up and it pulls well and sounds great!

I wish that was all that I had to do to get the car ready for the year!

Hey guys,

I'm from SE Michigan and need a valve adjustment and also would like to know which dealer would be best :confused:

gtr said:
Hey guys,

I'm from SE Michigan and need a valve adjustment and also would like to know which dealer would be best :confused:

Some people like Suburban Acura on Haggerty north of Grand River and my Dad like Acura of Troy since there is only 1 mechanic that touches NSX's. His name is Chris and we reall ylike him. BTW, where in Michigan do you live? I swear I have seen you around. :smile:

ekin95 said:
Some people like Suburban Acura on Haggerty north of Grand River and my Dad like Acura of Troy since there is only 1 mechanic that touches NSX's. His name is Chris and we reall ylike him. BTW, where in Michigan do you live? I swear I have seen you around. :smile:

So did you got your valves done? How much did they charge? Anyways i'm just a tad south from the airport.

gtr said:
So did you got your valves done? How much did they charge? Anyways i'm just a tad south from the airport.

My Dad has only had some regular stuff done on his car at Acura of Troy. Nothing major.............

Re: Detroit Service / gtr

gtr,

I had the valves adjusted along with a number of normal maint. items as shown in the string of posts. I could not tell you what the cost of the valve adjustment was as my pricing was not broken down for each specific item.

I can tell you I elected to go to Suburban based on the feed back found here on the board. Also, based on board feed back I elected not to go to Acura of Troy which would really be easy for me to do as they are 1/4 mile from the office. I am sure you would be quite happy with Mike at Suburban for basic items and he is a nice guy to deal with.

Dave

Back