• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

difference in gas?(87 Vs 93 octane)

Hey guys,

With gas price soaring high, just want to get some advice on gas.

I was talking to a guy who owns several gas station and he recommends shell.
And he said that there is not much difference from 87 to 93 octane.

Is this true? Anyone with knowledge help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Rule of thumb: If it doesn't knock when using 87, don't waste your money
on 93. I have also heard the President of Exxon say he uses 87 because 93 is not really necessary.

Lots of debate on this via this forum.

Are you asking specifically regarding your NSX, or just in general?

IMNHO nothing but the highest octane (91 around here) goes in my NSX.

This is all what I heard and what I do:

Correct. It does not matter much. For performance higher octane is better that is all. Think about this way though if it helps. The diff between higher & lower octane is always same so essentially not much savings. For NSX which is a performance car I am not sure going down on octane but any other car I would. Actually I am doing for my infiniti and I know few who run lexus same. I am doing it for 5 years. No issues whatsoever. I still think Carbon will be more on lower octane. Regarding quality of Gas:It depends mostly on how they store it? I would not go to a small(by brand and local) gas station to fill for any of my car. But that is me. Its more a imagination than reality I think.

Last edited:
with all respect, you drive an nsx, honestly gas prices are not what i expect from an NSX owner to be an issue .. even if you DD your car, come on, my gf on her RSX can complaint about that .. not a dude on a nsx .. no no ... :biggrin:
Oscar

"Correct. It does not matter much. For performance higher octane is better that is all. Think about this way though if it helps. The diff between higher & lower octane is always same so essentially not much savings. For NSX which is a performance car I am not sure going down on octane but any other car I would. Actually I am doing for my infiniti and I know few who run lexus same. I am doing it for 5 years. No issues whatsoever. I still think Carbon will be more on lower octane. "

OK, once and for all-if you drive a truck with low compression, then you can use low octane gas. if you drive a car with a compression higher than 10:1, then you have to use higher octane or you can burn a hole in your piston- you choose.
the BTU content between 87 and 93 does not differ much, but the higher compression engines are able to extract more of the BTU's because of higher combustion pressure and temperature.
Lastly- you will actually increase the carbonation of your engine internals if you use 93 octane gas in the low-compression vehicles as they do not have the high combustion pressures that are necessary to completely burn the additives in 93 gas that were added to prevent detonation. so yes, the majority of cars out there SHOULD be using 87 as there is no benefit of 93 without high compression. NSX is NOT the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
with the nsx your going to get worse fuel economy on 87 so your not really saving money. your just making your engine make less power and run less efficient. you drive a nsx, gas prices should not even be an issue.

Wow, there's some misinformation being posted here.

There's a big difference between 87 octane and 93 octane. HOWEVER, you only need premium (93) in cars that are designed to use it. If you are driving an unmodified car that is not designed from the factory to need premium, you don't need it. On the other hand, if you are driving a car that IS designed to use premium, like an NSX, then you should be using premium, period, end of story.

It will not damage the NSX if you use regular fuel; however, your performance and fuel economy will both be poorer than with premium fuel. And you won't be saving any money, either, since (as s14_tat wisely noted) all you need is 1 mpg worse fuel economy and you've wiped out any money you saved by paying for regular instead of premium.

Bottom line: Look in your owner's manual to see what the car manufacturer recommends for your car. If they recommend premium, use premium. If they don't recommend premium, use regular.

Remember that octane is a measure of anti-detonation of a fuel mixture. It has nothing to do with gas quality or the energy content of a gas mixture. A high compression engine generates high pressure which equals high heat which can cause pre-detonation with fuels of a lower octane rating.

The NSX has a high-compression engine and needs a high octane gas as recommended by the manufacturer.

Last edited:
There have been a few posts here that referred to a need for high octane due to high compression. While this statement is based in truth, it's not the whole story. Many modern high compression / high performance engines use a knock sensor. If low octane fuel is used (or a crappy tank of high octane) then the knock sensor will detect this during combustion and will retard the timing until the knock is no longer present. This is how the power diminishes from using lower octane fuels in a car that can take advantage of the higher octane rating - from retarded timing. This protects the engine.

The ECU is continually trying to advance the timing for better performance until the knock sensor says to pull some timing back because of knock. This back and forth doesn't happen as often as the back and forth of trying to keep the A/F ratio at stoichiometric during idle and part throttle, so while the low octane will immediately decrease performance by the knock sensor activity, the higher octane might take several miles and/or several WOT cycles to advance the timing back to regain full power.

Which brings me to a question that I don't know anyone here can answer.

Background:

The timing available for the ECU to select from is on a table or tables stored on the ECU. It will constantly try to use the highest values on that table based on inputs from many sensors such as air intake temp, throttle position, knock value, and probably others. The ECU will keep advancing the timing until it hears knock from the knock sensor or until it has reached the highest possible value on the table.

So here's my question:

Does anyone know the NSX ECU well enough to know if there exists "headroom" on the timing table(s) for more timing and most of us have never hit the max value? Are owners in states who have 93 octane getting a little better performance than the owners in states who have only 91 octane at the pumps? Is there another degree or two of timing that even those driving with 93 in their tanks aren't getting to use?

When the NSX was released back in '91, California had 92 octane available. Then some time in the mid 90's we were stuck with only 91. While it's possible that Honda made changes to the timing table(s) for this, logic tells me that they said "just let the ECU do what it was designed to do and the cars using 91 octane will perform a little poorer". If this is the case, using higher octane than what's available at the typical corner gas station could benefit, at least here in California.

Oh, and also... I think that track cars can see a benefit from using higher octane than standard pump gas, especially in hotter climates. I don't mean this to say that the car will provide *more* power, just that it's less likely to lose power. A high-revving, high output, high compression motor driven at WOT for extended periods on a hot track on a hot day ingesting hot air will eventually start to lose power. I believe that no small part of this is due to the timing being pulled due to all that heat causing knock. With higher octane, the resistance to this knock is better and one can eliminate or at least extend the time until power loss is experienced.

just my $.02... which really isn't even worth that...

J

PS: all of the above is based on my experience with other ECUs I've come to know... I'm only assuming that Honda programs their ECUs similarly.

I had heard premium was more refined and better for the engine/fuel system ....

I have a similar response... it is an NSX, gas shouldn't be an issue... just run premium.

As for me... it is a pleasure vehicle, which we enjoy quite a bit, so we only take it out on nice days and weekends for the most part. So it isn't like it is my daily driver.

I'm not filling it up often enough to make much of a difference.

As for the previous question... it is way above my technical mechanical experience.

I had heard premium was more refined and better for the engine/fuel system ....

I have a similar response... it is an NSX, gas shouldn't be an issue... just run premium.

As for me... it is a pleasure vehicle, which we enjoy quite a bit, so we only take it out on nice days and weekends for the most part. So it isn't like it is my daily driver.

I'm not filling it up often enough to make much of a difference.

As for the previous question... it is way above my technical mechanical experience.

there is no difference in gas until it arrives at the distribution center where detergents and octane-boosters are added. sometimes that is even done at the gas station by the delivering truck driver. there is absolutely no difference in refinement or even the BTU content- that is a fact. high-comp engines are just able to extract more BTUs from gas.

There have been a few posts here that referred to a need for high octane due to high compression. While this statement is based in truth, it's not the whole story. Many modern high compression / high performance engines use a knock sensor. If low octane fuel is used (or a crappy tank of high octane) then the knock sensor will detect this during combustion and will retard the timing until the knock is no longer present. This is how the power diminishes from using lower octane fuels in a car that can take advantage of the higher octane rating - from retarded timing. This protects the engine.

you are correct but this only applies to modern cars with an ecu (granted, nsx is one). thats why it pays to know the difference and reason behind octane. if you have older performance cars and you use crappy gas, there is nothing that will save you from failure.

Does anyone know the NSX ECU well enough to know if there exists "headroom" on the timing table(s) for more timing and most of us have never hit the max value? Are owners in states who have 93 octane getting a little better performance than the owners in states who have only 91 octane at the pumps? Is there another degree or two of timing that even those driving with 93 in their tanks aren't getting to use?

From what I've seen, I do not believe there is any headroom that I am aware of. I believe the NSX ECU is designed for 91 octane only and does not factor in any other octane levels beyond that. Just like those who put in 100 octane race fuel do not see improved performance, those putting in 93 octane should likewise not see a performance gain. From what I've seen the timing tables are fixed and preset for 91 octane. As you state above, the ECU checks for knocking and will retard timing to prevent it. However, I'm not aware of the ability for the stock ECU to do the opposite and advance it's timing. Think of it as more of a safety feature rather than and performance enhancer. Like TCS, it will only retard performance to keep traction, but not really "enhance" performance when it sees more optimal conditions. [Grain of salt] This is just my opinon based on limited experience with the stock ECU. [/Grain of salt]

with all respect, you drive an nsx, honestly gas prices are not what i expect from an NSX owner to be an issue .. even if you DD your car, come on, my gf on her RSX can complaint about that .. not a dude on a nsx .. no no ... :biggrin:
Oscar

I hear what you saying...But Nothing is wrong with being Money Conscience, rich or poor. :smile:

I am FI, so I always do 91-93(which ever they have).... I did 89 on BMW and the computer told them I did. So every time something goes wrong---They blame it on that...Eggheads...

Car to Car varies some.
I was in Europe recently where it was 5 diff grades.

P.S. I honestly don't drive the car enough to care about the 20.00 a month in gas I spend though(lol)... I have seen a big performance decrease on an rx7 I had when i went Lo Octane and it ran craaaaaaaaaaaaapppy...

Last edited:
Rule of thumb: If it doesn't knock when using 87, don't waste your money
on 93. I have also heard the President of Exxon say he uses 87 because 93 is not really necessary.

+1

high octane is usually warranteed in a Force Induction scenerio or if the compression ratio is high.

The higher the octane the greater it's resistence to pre-ignition.

RX7s love high octane fuel since they deal with high boost and detonation.

Hey guys,

With gas price soaring high, just want to get some advice on gas.

I was talking to a guy who owns several gas station and he recommends shell.
And he said that there is not much difference from 87 to 93 octane.

Is this true? Anyone with knowledge help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Shell is my choice. I would use what the manual says "91 or premium only". Using lower grade can cause premature failure on O2 and emission control devices.

From what I've seen, I do not believe there is any headroom that I am aware of. I believe the NSX ECU is designed for 91 octane only and does not factor in any other octane levels beyond that. Just like those who put in 100 octane race fuel do not see improved performance, those putting in 93 octane should likewise not see a performance gain. From what I've seen the timing tables are fixed and preset for 91 octane. As you state above, the ECU checks for knocking and will retard timing to prevent it. However, I'm not aware of the ability for the stock ECU to do the opposite and advance it's timing. Think of it as more of a safety feature rather than and performance enhancer. Like TCS, it will only retard performance to keep traction, but not really "enhance" performance when it sees more optimal conditions. [Grain of salt] This is just my opinon based on limited experience with the stock ECU. [/Grain of salt]

Yeah, sorry for the confusion. When I said "advance" the timing during that part of the post, I really meant advance it back to optimal once the knock sensor stopped complaining. Obviously, it has to be able to do that, and just as obvious it can't select a timing value that is not on the table to increase performance.

I tend to agree with your assessment of how the ECU on these cars is programmed, which is to say it's based on 91 octane (I actually imagined 92). I also agree with those who say that this discussion is a moot point for the NSX. Why save $4 on a fill-up just to have poor performance? I've thought about using it during long trips where I might fill up twice in each direction but I just can't get myself to do it.:redface:

J

Yeah, sorry for the confusion. When I said "advance" the timing during that part of the post, I really meant advance it back to optimal once the knock sensor stopped complaining. Obviously, it has to be able to do that, and just as obvious it can't select a timing value that is not on the table to increase performance.

I tend to agree with your assessment of how the ECU on these cars is programmed, which is to say it's based on 91 octane (I actually imagined 92). I also agree with those who say that this discussion is a moot point for the NSX. Why save $4 on a fill-up just to have poor performance? I've thought about using it during long trips where I might fill up twice in each direction but I just can't get myself to do it.:redface:

J

Well it was a great question nonetheless. :smile:

But the funny thing is how people have completely mixed up the concept of 91 octane and saving money. If you were to switch to a lower octane gas (87) on an engine that's designed for 91 octane, all things being equal, it could actually cost you MORE money.

The reason is because the engine is optimally efficient for a given timing, and hence octane. If I lower the octane, I reduce the efficiency of the motor, essentially reducing the power of that engine. It takes more fuel to generate the same amount of power. Therefore, if I require some number X of "power" to travel some distance Y, then it will take more fuel of 87 octane to reach that same distance as 91 octane. So even though the cost to fill up would be greater than with 91 octane, you would theoretically have to fill up more frequently with 87 octane. Depending on the actual costs, it could end up costing more money over the long run, as well as living with derated performance (again all things being equal: aka you drive exactly the same with both fuels).

Back