• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DIY 8" Joying Android Head Unit in my navpod

Hello everyone!

I was inspired by I_M_Legend's thread to DIY my navpod. After selling my non-working oem radio, I did some research and may have found the perfect option that requires minor modification to the navpod. I used the dimensions of the IPS Screen that SOS is selling and I was originally going to purchase a 7" atoto s8. But I went down a rabbit hole of android head units and found this:

Joying Android Head Unit
Flex cable extension

The dimensions of the screen fit perfectly within the navpod.
20230210_224528.jpg
20230210_224407.jpg

But to make it work, I needed to remove the felt tape and trim off the little plastic tabs on the inside that surround the screen's opening. Flush cutters worked great for this. I believe those tabs are just to line up the pod to the rear cover because there is glue holding those two parts together. Or it could be to center the OEM navigation screen, I'm not sure.
20230210_224334.jpg

I also had to file down the top (yes, I did mess up a little in the center, but I don't care.) and bottom of the screen opening because the joying screen height is slightly bigger than the navpod. The screen width is perfect.
20230210_224604.jpg
20230210_224614.jpg

Additionally, because I no longer have my OEM radio, and a gaping hole in my center console, I have a place to put the double din unit. This unit, paired with the long flex cable, works perfectly for those of you who plan on doing a "radio delete" by creating your own radio delete cover or purchasing one. I don't have a cover yet, but I can live with it for now.

It's currently in the works. But what I've completed so far is the radio harness and modified my navpod. Testing the head unit was successful. Test fit of the screen in the navpod, in the car, was successful as well. I'm currently trying to think of ways to properly mount the screen to the navpod. Although I like I_M_Legend's idea of using legos and plastic glue, I will probably use 3M molding tape just because I have it laying around. The screen is light enough that if I put a good amount of that tape, it should stay. Only time will tell, lol. I will try to update tomorrow if I'm done with my homework. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I will try to answer them to the best of my ability.

Looks good. How do they operate touch screen? Do you then tether that to your phone and mirror it? Or it’s got its own Operating system?

Looks good. How do they operate touch screen? Do you then tether that to your phone and mirror it? Or it’s got its own Operating system?
Yes, its basically an android tablet connected to a double din head unit. It's somewhat of a plug and play option.They also make a single din option. It has it's own operating system, which is android 10.

Looks clean how dose it connect to the stereo?
I previously had my speakers directly connected to an aftermarket amplifier in conjunction with a bluetooth receiver because the previous owner had taken it to a shop to try to get the OEM radio to work, and they hacked up the radio harness. I essentially had to bypass the radio harness. Unfortunately, this was before I had the service manual.

If I had the service manual beforehand, I would've been able to use the existing wiring. But the way I have it set up works perfectly fine. I also hooked up a center speaker to the amplifier because it's a 5 channel amp with a subwoofer channel. Additionally, I installed a larger footwell subwoofer that I purchased from a prime member a few years ago. I don't believe it's from SOS because the color of the enclosure is gray.

Now, my aftermarket amp has RCA inputs. And the joying head unit has RCA outputs, I was able to simply use RCA cables to connect the two.

Now that I have access to the service manual, I was able to solder in a new aftermarket radio harness to the existing wiring for accessory power, dimming, constant 12v, and ground. Hopefully, this all makes sense. I'd be happy to clarify any confusion.

I must say, the sound quality is amazing.

Wow this is cool. Good job, great find. This super thin tablet is the future, crazy that car audio stuff is so far behind tablet tech.

I have the atoto S8 in my navpod, and it was a ton of work to make fit. When I do an upgrade, this seems like a great option.

Also FWIW, the atoto unit is not amazing in a few ways, the biggest is a large current draw when the car is off. My solution right now is to switch its constant power

Wow this is cool. Good job, great find. This super thin tablet is the future, crazy that car audio stuff is so far behind tablet tech.

I have the atoto S8 in my navpod, and it was a ton of work to make fit. When I do an upgrade, this seems like a great option.

Also FWIW, the atoto unit is not amazing in a few ways, the biggest is a large current draw when the car is off. My solution right now is to switch its constant power
Ah, thank you, bogle! How could I have forgotten that you were also my inspiration for doing this! You were actually the reason why I wanted to purchase the atoto S8. I remember going through your build thread, and I was like man that's awesome, but so much work! lol. But yeah, I've read/seen stories where people say android head units have a lot of current draw when they're off, and it helps with the instant-on. I was also worried about power draw, but I always have mine connected to a battery maintainer.

Here are some more pics after fully installing. This image shows a wallpaper that I found online. I then found out I could use the preloaded boot logo as a wallpaper, which you will see in the image after this.
20230213_132219.jpg
20230213_191632.jpg
One issue I'm currently running into is that my ashtray lid will not close. I will have to readjust the head unit to sit further back. I probably would not have run into this issue had I purchased the single din unit, but you live and you learn.

I'm also planning on installing a dual USB port for the head unit in place of the cigarette lighter. I just need to get the dimensions of the OEM cigarette lighter before I make a purchase.

And from where I sit in the car, you can't tell that the top and bottom were filed down. Although, I did sand it down with 400 grit. Then 1000 grit to give it a little bit more of a smoother surface.

Update: Pushed the double din back about an inch. There is still a good amount of clearance behind it. Ashtray lid now closes without issue.

Picked this up to install it in place of the cigarette lighter. It goes in without any modification to the cigarette lighter hole. I thought about putting a dual USB-C port but, I still have USB-A to USB-C cables. So this is perfectly fine for my situation.
20230218_123024.jpg
20230218_123045.jpg
20230218_123057.jpg

Ah, thank you, bogle! How could I have forgotten that you were also my inspiration for doing this! You were actually the reason why I wanted to purchase the atoto S8. I remember going through your build thread, and I was like man that's awesome, but so much work! lol. But yeah, I've read/seen stories where people say android head units have a lot of current draw when they're off, and it helps with the instant-on. I was also worried about power draw, but I always have mine connected to a battery maintainer.

Here are some more pics after fully installing. This image shows a wallpaper that I found online. I then found out I could use the preloaded boot logo as a wallpaper, which you will see in the image after this.
View attachment 177390
View attachment 177391
One issue I'm currently running into is that my ashtray lid will not close. I will have to readjust the head unit to sit further back. I probably would not have run into this issue had I purchased the single din unit, but you live and you learn.

I'm also planning on installing a dual USB port for the head unit in place of the cigarette lighter. I just need to get the dimensions of the OEM cigarette lighter before I make a purchase.

And from where I sit in the car, you can't tell that the top and bottom were filed down. Although, I did sand it down with 400 grit. Then 1000 grit to give it a little bit more of a smoother surface.
Where did you get that phone mount!?

This looks amazing! I am looking to get a Joying for my NSX and I like the idea of having the body and screen separate. What length of the joying extension cord did you use for this build?

Back