• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DIY: OEM Alpine Head Unit Capacitor Replacement

The availability of components has been a nightmare since COVID19 - and don't get me started on the prices either .. in many cases even the last order list couldn't be reused since parts were out of stock.

I got the big three out of the head unit today. Only one was leaking. I’m tempted to just replace these and call it a day given the risk that I damage something in trying to replace the other ~80 caps. Or is there a list of understood “common” problem caps I should replace and call it good?

DFC54DD0-7654-4E4E-910B-52970F467E15.jpeg

I got the big three out of the head unit today. Only one was leaking. I’m tempted to just replace these and call it a day given the risk that I damage something in trying to replace the other ~80 caps. Or is there a list of understood “common” problem caps I should replace and call it good?

View attachment 181221
I don't recall there being a single list. It's been years since I did mine but I think the power board also had a number of caps that often go bad. I would definitely replace those.

You could go through Kaz's database of repairs and see which areas are most common:

You're right that replacing all of them is not sensible. My personal approach is replace all larger electrolytic caps: http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?2658-Radio-Head-Unit-Capacitor-Replacement
Identification is done based on if they have venting marks on top:

Replacing all electrolytic capacitors inside the head unit would be a huge task. As small capacitors typically don't suffer from leakage and could be used in areas where specific characteristics are required, the suggestion is to replace only larger capacitors - identified by the metal imprinted cross on the top (the venting crack).

It's not a perfect solution but works reasonably well.

Back