• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Do NC1's need to replace all tires at once?

I recently picked up a nail on a rear tire. Acura patched it from the inside (I don't drive aggressively nor track the car ) and I drove it a good 50 miles monitoring that tire. This morning that tire was flat again. I am going to have Discount Tire take another look at it. If it continues to slowly leak I will likely replace that tire. Since the NC1 has 4 wheel drive everybody seems to recommend replacing all 4 tires at once. The rest of my P-Zero's still have 6/32nds of depth remaining. Since I drive only about 3k miles a year, likely would last another couple of years. I aim to replace with all seasons with the next set. Tire Rack offers a service to shave a tire to match the remaining 3 on the car. This seems like a decent solution rather than throwing away 3 perfectly good tires. Thoughts? TIA

Depending on the age of the tires, I'd just get the new one and shave it to match. If the tires are really old, it might be worth doing the whole set due to rubber degradation, but again that stuff only really shows up at the track when the tires get heavily heat cycled. My feeling is you'll be fine running another season or two on your old set.

If your specific question is what % variation is allowed in rolling diameter of each tire...I don't know...maybe Chris at SOS does.

It’s strongly recommend Replace BOTH tires on the same axle. Having the other 2 tires in the same axle at 6/32 will be fine. Having a bigger difference than 2/32 and/or mis matched tires, mismatched speed ratings, ect. This can cause DTC’s in the abs system and so forth. It’s common on Honda/Acura models especially with indirect TPMS systems. Though the NSX doesn’t have indirect TPMS it’s still recommended to have two matching tires on the same axle. Just my .02 cents.

Last edited:
I am assuming that since Acura patched the tire the first time that the hole was in the tread area Making a repair acceptable. The question I have is did they use a straight patch on the inside rather than a patch With a stem that is pulled through the hole? If they used a straight patch, then I would replace with the stem type. Also you might want to spray the tire with water to see if the leak is the patch or around the inside or outside of the rim. The rim area could have debris between the tire bead and the rim. Acura should have warranted the repair.

Having said the above, You can replace all the tires and enjoy the benefits of new tires all around and not worry. After all this is an exotic that deserves to be driven with gusto. Nothing like having new tires. Remember to have the tire(s) forced balanced.

I recently picked up a nail on a rear tire. Acura patched it from the inside (I don't drive aggressively nor track the car ) and I drove it a good 50 miles monitoring that tire. This morning that tire was flat again. I am going to have Discount Tire take another look at it. If it continues to slowly leak I will likely replace that tire. Since the NC1 has 4 wheel drive everybody seems to recommend replacing all 4 tires at once. The rest of my P-Zero's still have 6/32nds of depth remaining. Since I drive only about 3k miles a year, likely would last another couple of years. I aim to replace with all seasons with the next set. Tire Rack offers a service to shave a tire to match the remaining 3 on the car. This seems like a decent solution rather than throwing away 3 perfectly good tires. Thoughts? TIA
Stkpikr - any update on your repair? I am also in the Chicagoland area and leaning towards getting all season tires (e.g., Conti DWS06 plus). I've used that tire in the past and it was good enough for me since I don't track the car.

I replaced just my rear tires at 7000kms (4300 miles). Continental gave me a warranty claim. Conti-5s to Conti-6s

Last edited:
I replaced just my rear tires at 7000kms (4300 miles). Continental gave me a warranty claim. Conti-5s to Conti-6s
Just wondering what was the reasoning for warranty claim and are they only available for Conti 5s? I have about 4900 miles on my Conti 6s and they are around 5/32 and now with a nail in it. Doubt it can be warrantied but curious. Thanks

Back