• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Do options have any impact on used NSX value?

I am currently looking at several Gen 2 NSXs, and it seems that prices are all over the place.

If there are two NSXs with the same year / mile / condition, but one has no option and the other has $20K+ more options when new, how should I think about the value of $20K+ in options when purchasing a used Gen 2 NSX?

Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated.

Fun question and good luck with your search

Generally, the optioned car will cost some more but tough to say it should be the price of the no optioned car plus 50% of the original price of the options.

The options are not all equal. On a car like this, carboceramics should retain more of their value than andarro paint.

Lots of factors, mileage, model year, location of the stores, colors/combos (ex. not everyone wants an orange one and the orchid interior may not be a top choice for everyone, the CF rear wing is a pricey option some love, some don't, The CF exterior parts are easily damaged, The CF roof could be a liability if the clear coat fails from being in the sun).

My delivering and servicing dealers keep sending me automated offers for my car (2017, white on saddle, Alcantara/leather power seats, Alcantara headliner, carboceramics, Y spoke wheels, black calipers, upgraded hifi, no sat radio, 14,400 miles).

They value the car in trade at $120K. In the current market it looks like it would be marketed a bit over $130K.

I would be looking for 19 and up...

I was happy to pay more for mine this year because it had all the options I wanted. I learned a long time ago, "get the options you want and don't settle for less...or you'll be kicking yourself down the road!"

And agree, get a 2019+! There is a noticeable price difference in those since they were upgraded (well sort of).

Last edited:
Generally I think the NC1s are a bargain for what you get in comparison to other Hybrid Super cars. As for one year over another I personally do not see a significant difference between 2017,2018,2019,2020, and 2021. It comes down to the color and options. I can say with some confidence that the price you pay is long forgotten over the enjoyment of the car over the years to come.

If you want a high optioned car then the best deals are the early cars (2017) as often the dealership loaded the cars up in anticipation of an easy sell. The cars can have a MSRP of $206k. Which would include the extra two paint colors Nouvelle Blue and Valencia Red. They both were $6000 options. What do you get? Almost 18 millimeters of paint thickness that is one of the best paint jobs I have ever had on a car. While some might not place a lot of value on those two colors, most of the time they did not get either of those colors.

The Ceramic Brakes are a worthy option. You can not just buy the rotors later and add them to the car as there are other items that come with the package. The exterior carbon fiber package is expensive at $9000 but can not be duplicated. Yes the parts can be damaged if you are not careful. But I don’t see that as a reason not to have something that looks fantastic. They are not inherently less robust than the base components.

The carbon fiber roof is a beautiful looking upgrade that cannot be duplicated at $6000. For 2021 NSXs the carbon fiber roof was not available due to a supplier issue. I do not know anyone who has had their roof fail or the finish degrade. Who parks their NSX out on the Street at Night? Besides they are covered by a 4 year warranty. The carbon fiber interior is something that can be had aftermarket. It is not expensive at around $2500. If you don’t get the upgraded stereo then it is very expensive to try and buy afterwards. Same thing for Sirius radio. The carbon fiber engine cover is also not duplicated aftermarket. It looks great. The seats are a matter of preference as is the color. So in the end you can spend money or not on the options.

The NSXs that came later such as 2018,2019,2020, and 2021s were fewer, and often not optioned out. The practical difference between the 2017,2018 and the 2019,2020, 2021 are pretty minimal. The tires were changed in 2019 from Conti5 to Conti6. Anyone can buy them and they are the exact same size wheels for all years. The sway bars were increased in size for 2019 and up. Eibach in Orange County CA offered them for a while and then stopped selling when they became a sock item on the 2019 and up cars. You can add them to the early cars if you want. There was some fine tuning of the struts for 2019 and up. I also heard there was a retuning of the electric motors in the front. Most people agree the tires resulted in the biggest performance improvements as far as driving the car on the track.

so in the end given there are only 1500 or fewer in the States of all years I think it makes sense to find the colors you want and the options and forget about what year the car is.

The price is what people are willing to sell their cars for. Again don’t get caught up in only wanting to pay x dollars for options you want. In the end you will be happy getting the car you love rather then saving $10k

Last edited:
drmanny3 gave a nice rundown. I would just add that, given the low number of NC1's sold overall, there just aren't going to be that many on the used market. It's not like shopping for a used Camry or Explorer where you can afford to be patient because sooner or later one will pop up with the color and equipment you want. With used NC1's, it's going to be much more of developing a list of must-haves and must-have-nots, then being flexible on other stuff.

Anytime a used car is priced, the options can add some value but not nearly as much as they cost when new. For the NC1, where the difference between a completely base car and a fully-optioned car is $50k, you can imagine that a person who bought the loaded car is going to want to make some of that investment back (and probably should). But if somebody looking for a used one doesn't care so much, they may be willing to pay $xxx,xxx no matter how the car is spec'ed.

Long story short, I think it's going to be a seller's market forever on the NC1 (now that they've discontinued it).

The fact that it is Leno's DD says something...:wink:

Back