• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Do you like the Perforated or Regular Leather?

Anyone have a preference? I am getting my black seats redone with red stitching and may also do the side leather on the doors to red (TYPE S style).

What's the consensus out there on the 91-98 leather vs. the newer perforated leather. I like the ridges and folds of the doors on the older style leather.

Any thoughts?

I have owned a '91 without the pref's and now own a '00 with them & in hot weather I definately like the new ones better. Both were black leather so summer months even in Michigan can get them pretty hot. I am not sure if they will wear as well as the solid leather, but the extra comfort is worth it in my opinion.

Good Luck!

Originally posted by JChoice:
Anyone have a preference? I am getting my black seats redone with red stitching and may also do the side leather on the doors to red (TYPE S style).

What's the consensus out there on the 91-98 leather vs. the newer perforated leather. I like the ridges and folds of the doors on the older style leather.

Any thoughts?

I think on the black it will look fine and it will indeed make it cooler in summer. On the tan it looks like a seave .....

However, if you are going to make many changes, you do not want to overwhelm the interior. Red black is a nice contrast and if you are going to accent the leather with red stitching I would not go the extra step of perforated leather. Al Terpak here in Sacramento has done the door inserts red (vinyl) and also the shifter boot.

Anywho, making a self promotional plug here, you may want to get the extra step and order red floor mats with black serge and black logo as well ..... I thinks they will really make the car exotic a la Italian super exotics .... I have one being custom made as we speak ........
smile.gif

Hrant
98-T Black/Tan

ive had both leather types in numerous vehicles and ive gotta say, i like the non-perforated better.

heres why:

wears better

if the vehicle is adjusted to the temperature you like then the whole covering is also adjusted

if and when you spill, it doesnt go into the cushion like it does with perforated

the only exception for me is the new heated and cooled seats like on the navigator: definately perforated for the air conditioning aspect

just a thought....

ps: all perforated ive ever encountered wears really poorly compaired to the whole hide

I like the look of preforated much better but thats just my opinion.My friend owns an upholstery shop said the perforated would not withstand wear and tear as well as solid .Nethertheless I like the preforated I think because to me it looks sportier vs's classier in solid......

------------------

I recovered the three panels behind the seats...the one that goes across the top, and the two that go behind each seat, in black perforated leather, and I think it looks very good.

I'm also going to recover the arm rests on the doors and the two pieces that are on the side of the seats.

Andie

Originally posted by Soichiro:
Andie how about some pics of your all-leather interior? That sounds really nice.

G-man...I'll get Manuel to snap some pics and send them to you or something like that...

Andie

Can you retrofit the perf leather panels from the new car onto the old car?

Personally I like perforated leather in high-touch areas like the steering wheel, e-brake (to match) and the seat center cushions. Better absorption of fluid (sweat, skin oil, etc).

I'd also consider doing the perf panels in a contrasting color, like Boxster red or even light gray (to color coordinate with the A-pillars).

Originally posted by HomeDepotNSX:
G-man...I'll get Manuel to snap some pics and send them to you or something like that...
For manly men
biggrin.gif
and all alike...
I'll post some pix of Andie's interior shortly.

In meantime, you can see some here -> http://public.fotki.com/nsx1164/nsx_service/

I think it looks real nice.

I also have pix of his r_cey looking engine bay, with the new Carbing strut brace and the silicone hoses.

Originally posted by huckster:
if and when you spill, it doesnt go into the cushion like it does with perforated

Wow. I've eaten a cheeseburger once in my car, but I never bring any drinks inside my car. That's just flirting with disaster.

I suppose perforated leather is best for non-wear surfaces. So far, I've only done the panels behind the seats, which are 100% non-wear surfaces, but will also do the armrests and the side covers that go over the gas-tank release, and the center console...which, for me, are also non-wear surfaces. I'd do the dash, but that would be an easy $750, which is too rich for my blood. :)

Andie

Originally posted by s2ktaxi:
Ideally, I'd like the Alcantara (synthetic Suede) seating surface...
the perforated nubuck-like surfaces on the Zanardi are also good... I'd do this with Alcantara reinforcing key wear points (side bolsters on seat cushion and backrest)

Originally posted by s2ktaxi:
Ideally, I'd like the Alcantara (synthetic Suede) seating surface...

Or make it from the hides of thousands of dead naugas who sacrificed their lives to our cause.
biggrin.gif

Back