• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Do you want to see my Tubi?

Posted the pics last night. Thanks Lud for the help! Will not get it installed for another few days though.
frown.gif

http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum13/HTML/000158.html

------------------
Gary Yates
1995 Red/Tan

Yo ncdogdoc,

I see the Tubi's 34.5 lbs. How does that compare with the OEM? I couldn't find it in the FAQ.

------------------
NSXY
95 NSX-T, 5 sp, Red/Tan, Stock, except Dunlaptya SP9000s

Thanks for the update and the pictures, Gary.
Four of the buyers have now installed it (I guess they can't wait) and reported back. I am real happy it worked out and I'm trying to get Tubi to lower their prices to keep the GB price going in the future, or at least something close. As a side note, I took my 360 back home from its one-year service at the dealership and drove thru the LAX tunnel late that same night. Second gear, 8500 rpm, third gear, the car sounds awesome with the secondary exhaust valves disconnected, then of course, I couldn't help but go out much later that night with my NSX and went thru the tunnel twice. You know what ? it sounds BETTER than my 360. The only problem with the Tubi is that it took a couple of months for it to really sound good. No regrets at all.
Tino S.

Gary,

Real nice workmanship.

Can't wait to get your thoughts and to "hear" it.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

The only problem with the Tubi is that it took a couple of months for it to really sound good.

The sound changes over time? Any idea why that happens?

Just curious...

I guess it must be the muffler's contents getting looser, more oxidized or just plainly more "mature". I know for a fact that a couple of other exhausts I've had (including an RSR on my NSX, an HKS on my Supra) have "improved" with time.
It's a good question for me to ask the owner "Mr Tubi" who's been in this business for a while.
Tino S.

I support this: when I installed my new Remus (beginning 2000) it sounded ok but not as good as it sounded some 1000's km later!
biggrin.gif

Both the volume and the tone changed over time...

Originally posted by bboxer:
... course, I couldn't help but go out much later that night with my NSX and went thru the tunnel twice. You know what ? it sounds BETTER than my 360. The only problem with the Tubi is that it took a couple of months for it to really sound good. No regrets at all.
Tino S.

What other mods do you have? (Intake, etc.)

the SoS website has a new button in some exhaust detail pages where there is a link to weight comparisons of the different exhausts to the OEM on. If I remember, the Stock exhaust on that link is about 43 lbs for 91-94 and about 41-42 for 95+. Check out the site, and kudos to Chris for this small, but useful info.

Originally posted by Forums Nazi:
The only problem with the Tubi is that it took a couple of months for it to really sound good.

The sound changes over time? Any idea why that happens?

Just curious...

Forum Nazi doesn't know about aftermarket stuff cuz he's 100% OEM. :) <smirk>

-A

Originally posted by POWERED by HONDA:
What other mods do you have? (Intake, etc.)

DC headers and RM intake. Of course, going thru a tunnel, a few inches from the wall at WOT cancels out any intake sound you may otherwise hear; it is purely exhaust.
Tino S.

Hey Guys,

I got my Tubi
cool.gif
on Tuesday and installed it Wednesday evening. Pretty straight forward, it's a goods idea to have two exhaust gaskets handy. The part number for the gaskets is 18393-SH3-S00. Also depending on the age of your car, get 6 14mm exhaust nuts. They get smaller with age. In addition you will need to swap the exhaust hangers(rubber ones/4) from the original exhaust to the Tubi. A good trick to make this step easy is to give the two holes in each one a blast of WD40. It makes them slip back onto the body hooks easily.

One little fitment issue I had was that the tips actually touched the rear valance when I initially installed it.

Do this easy "adjustment", just push UP on the rear hanger rods evenly to lower the tips. I needed about 1/2 inch total adjustment, very easy. I have only been able to rev it a few times in the garage, since the weather in the east has gone to hell quickly, but.....Saturday is supposed to be nice. Time for a Tubi break-in drive
biggrin.gif

HTH,
LarryB

[This message has been edited by Larry Bastanza (edited 01 February 2002).]

Hey Tubi owners, can someone please, please, please put-up some sound clips of your awsome exhaust so the rest of us "poor unfortunate souls" can catch a hint of your kick-ass exhaust!!!!!!

Yo Forums Nazi:

I can't find it, and I bet you can't either: the weight of a 95-96 OEM exhaust.

------------------
NSXY
95 NSX-T, 5 sp, Red/Tan, Stock, except Dunlaptya SP9000s

Jawohl NSXY:

The Science of Speed website says that the Taitec GT Exhaust weighs 12.5 kg, which is 27.6 pounds, and claims that the weight savings is 16.6 pounds over the 1995+ exhaust. Therefore the weight of the '95 and later exhaust would be 44.2 pounds.

This is reasonably consistent with the FAQ, which says that the stock muffler weighs 44 pounds, although it doesn't specify which year. (The SoS website says that the '95 and later exhaust weighs two pounds less than the '91-94.)

[This message has been edited by Forums Nazi (edited 01 February 2002).]

The differences in weight can probably be attributed to dropping digits in the metric conversion. It works out that the 1995+ exhaust is about 2 lbs lighter than the earlier Battle Star Gallactica exhaust.

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

http://www.NSXClassifieds.com - free NSX classifieds site!

The differences in weight can probably be attributed to dropping digits in the metric conversion.

12.5 kg = 27.5577827731097 pounds, so what was added in rounding was 0.0422172268903 pound - IOW, less than an ounce.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 01 February 2002).]

Well,

It's 12:00pm on the east coast, SUNNY
smile.gif
so I have had a few hours out with the Tubi. All the discriptions I have heard about the sound are true. It is really sweet. It is no doubt not a true 355 or 360 sound, but it's the same "class" of sound
cool.gif
. About 5k rpm is kind of starts to roar, nicely. The sound changes fall exactly in line with the engines breathing, so you get an addition great sound when the vtec kicks in.

Tino mentioned it gets better with age. Better go drive more!!!

Also I just want to say thanks to Tino Stramotas, he is a great guy, a pleasure to deal with, kept us all informed, and delivered as promised.

LarryB

Back