• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Does Honda still train & certify new NSX techs?

Or are they, like the car, an endangered species?

Or are they, like the car, an endangered species?

From what I understand the training stopped in 2005. We have 4 local Acura dealerships near our shop. Not ONE has a Tech there that was factory trained on the NSX. As a matter of fact last time I took a car there for a PPi for a customer they popped the front looking for the motor.. :confused: Could not believe it.

I have found most dealer techs to be laughable. They always put 35psi in the tires at all 4 corners. I could cut a little slack on the NSX as its not the most common place car they see, but I got the same thing when I would take my wife's civic hybrid in (30psi at all 4 corners).

If only this info was on some easy to find sticker:rolleyes:

And I imagine there's no incentive (or perhaps even a legal/contractual disincentive) for any of the remaining factory certified NSX techs to train anyone else or pass on their knowledge in some other form...

Otherwise I would be first in line for an apprenticeship :biggrin:

If only this info was on some easy to find sticker:rolleyes:
emotlol_2.gif

From what I understand the training stopped in 2005. We have 4 local Acura dealerships near our shop. Not ONE has a Tech there that was factory trained on the NSX. As a matter of fact last time I took a car there for a PPi for a customer they popped the front looking for the motor.. :confused: Could not believe it.

I would have said as I got in the car to drive off "Looks like Ill need to find someone that knows what they are doing...thanks anyway"

Fortunately, some dealerships still have techs who have been through the factory training

But what happens when they want to retire or try out something different in life? Are they training any successors? Who's going to keep these beautiful cars on the road for another 20 years? :eek:

But what happens when they want to retire or try out something different in life? Are they training any successors? Who's going to keep these beautiful cars on the road for another 20 years? :eek:

I think you've found your next calling. :biggrin:

Big cities with lots of NSX owners are likely to be able to support enough business to keep one or more experienced NSX techs busy. If you live in a smaller town, you may need to rely on an independent mechanic, or a dealer mechanic without factory training, who doesn't do much NSX work outside of yours. That's not the end of the world; he (or she) can still do all the routine maintenance, and troubleshoot problems. You just won't have the benefit of someone who's seen a lot of similar instances before, or who knows all the shortcuts and gotchas from having done the same work previously. But you can still get your car fixed and maintained. And for a big job or a persistent problem, there's always the option of a road trip to a place where there's an experienced NSX mechanic.

Here in Winnipeg we have one NSX technician. Great guy. He has been with Acura since the late 80's. He is getting set to retire. I spoke at length with him about this very concern and he said he is apprenticing a young technician when ever one of the few NSXs in town come in for service. Hopefully he will acquire some practical knowledge in the interm. But, a couple years of shadowing someone doesn't replace 20+ years of hands on experience.
I think when it comes time for TB/WP in 5 years on my car, I will make the drive to Source1 or Larry B. Make a holiday out of it.

my experience from my large local dealer is that the smartest most motivated and careful tech works on the nsx...this has worked for 16 years.Larry B has also worked on my car and has commented that the"other" guy did nice work.He has seen some real hack jobs though on other cars.So in my mind it is person dependent not so much the car itself.

I think when it comes time for TB/WP in 5 years on my car, I will make the drive to Source1 or Larry B. Make a holiday out of it.
Those are good guys, but if you don't want to drive that far, there are good, NSX-experienced techs in Chicago and Milwaukee. And Minneapolis too, I think.

So did they fail the inspection due to a missing engine?

Actually it was a disaster, they proceeded to perform a compression test by only yanking out the plugs. Not killing the fuel supply. Ruined the 02 sensors. Cost me well over 500.00 to make the car good after they had it for 3 short hours. Claimed the car was in bad shape. It was a joke. The owner who came to see the car in person even though that acura "master tech" said it was messed up is enjoying the car today years later with no issues.

Search

"acuman" here on prime for his review of the car.. I ended up dealing with the owner of the acura dealer about this and the new owner made a complaint also.

It was an absolute mess in every way. Glad Richard decided to trust me and come see it anyway. He was a happy man when he drove it straight from Ohio to Florida :)

Back