• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Does my snap ring look normal?

Appears to be all in one piece. Funny that I can push either tab and the ring spins in its groove.

Attachments

• IMG_2832a.jpg
    IMG_2832a.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:
gobble said:
Appears to be all in one piece. Funny that I can push either tab and the ring spins in its groove.

Funny strange, or funny, haha? :rolleyes:
It is perfectly normal in appearance, and in the fact that it can be
rotated side to side. It should move as if an oil film was all that contacted it, because that is all that does. On accel, it moves outward, on decel it moves inward, and at no load, it is totally relaxed (unlike some owners with tranny's in range). That is why with too much groove, the ring winds up too much and shatters.

MB

Mirroredshades said:
I suspect somewhere in the FAQ there is a guide indicating what the measurement should be that will tell you if you need get it replaced or not.
I don't think that's true...

nsxtasy said:
I don't think that's true...

That's interesting... But shouldn't we able to do that? It'll be nice to be able to get some measurements to see if indeed we can tell which car has a snap-ring issue instead of just saying it's in range and that's that.

John

john1c said:
That's interesting... But shouldn't we able to do that? It'll be nice to be able to get some measurements to see if indeed we can tell which car has a snap-ring issue instead of just saying it's in range and that's that.

John

I remember reading that the difference in machining between a good groove and a bad groove is so small as to not be measurable. Also, it would be impossible to measure the groove through the peep hole in the side, especially with the ring in place.

I'm curious why there is a hole in the side of the transmission to look at the snap ring. Were they anticipating a problem?

gobble said:
I'm curious why there is a hole in the side of the transmission to look at the snap ring. Were they anticipating a problem?
The snap ring locates the outer bearing on the counter shaft of the tranny, needs to be removed to seperate the halves of the case when you service the tranny. It is a simple, clean and effective design, provided tolerances have been maintained in manufacturing :rolleyes:

Back