• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Does your T Top "Squeak"

from Wiki:
Why Does The T-Top Squeak?
Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) #95-015,Creaking From the Removable Roof [AVE - 99/4/19] There is a service bulletin published by Acura that describes an upgrade to the T latch assembly. The 95s were the first year models with a T. The 96 latch design is improved to eliminate/reduce the rattle, and the new latch fits the 95s. I know of two 95 NSXers that had their upgrade goodwilled by Acura, with satisfactory results.

An alternative is to use a silicone lube that Honda sells. Apply this liberally to the weather-strip seals as well as the metal and plastic components of the latch assembly. About every two months I have to re-apply the lube. No rattles at all.

[FG, [email protected]] Several T-Top owners have reported problems with the rubber seals around the edge of the removable roof panel squeaking. One solution is to apply a silicone lubricant to the seals. Unfortunately this doesn't completely fix everyone's squeaks and it must be periodically re-applied. Some helpful dealers have replaced the entire sub-assembly holding the gasket as well as the clamping mechanism (all under warranty), which is reported to have put an end to all squeaks except over very rough roads.

[A/H] The biggest contributor of roof noise is dust on the weather strip. Even if you don't remove the roof it may start to creak. The first thing is to clean off the weather strips with a soft cloth and glass cleaner. This will get rid of the creak 80% of the time. If there is still noise then we use a silicon paste on the weatherstrips and the "hook stop" (the chrome thing on the roof that hooks into the slot on the top of the "A" pillar.) This should fix the problem.

[BZA] I was up Scottsdale Acura the other day and inquired about how long the TSB procedure to fix squeaky targa tops would take. I was considering just driving up there and waiting while they worked on my car if the procedure was short since we have time off for Thanksgiving. The NSX tech that works on my car came out and he said,"It takes about an hour but doesn't really work." It involves replacing the targa top mounts at the top of the windshield frame, which involves pulling down the liner, etc.

He said he has his own procedure which works better, takes a few minutes, and lasts longer. He told me to get a silicone product by Dow Corning and put it in the holes that the targa top rods slide into at the top of the windshield. He also said to extend the rods and wipe it on them. I asked him if I could get this stuff at Pep Boys. He said no and took me into the service bay and gave me half a tube of this stuff to take with me.

So, for you DIY'rs, it's Dow Corning 111 Valve Lubricant and Sealant. Per the label, it contains silicone, provides moisture barrier, and is a non-curing sealant. He also said it won't melt on those 115 degree days.

Coming home from the Walk/Run last Sunday in Edison NJ, my roof was making such a loud squeak that I was in pain all the way home. I checked the "Wiki" and ordered the "stuff" on-line from a vendor I found by "Googling" Dow Corning 111 Valve Lubricant & Sealant ( www.drillspot.com ) I had checked with my local Acura dealer and they were out of stock on this, but would charge me $34, at Drillspot it was $12.18 + 5.13 for shipping. I followed the directions last night when I got home from work and what an immediate difference. NO NOISE. So, for those of you that have been thinking I can't stand this noise anymore, this is one DIY that anyone can do!!!
:biggrin:

Are you trying to outdo Larry B for primer of the year:tongue:

does anyone have a squeek Inside the top? thats what i got- took it apart, lubed and adjusted but still no help.

does anyone have a squeek Inside the top? thats what i got- took it apart, lubed and adjusted but still no help.
The noise was "inside" the car, emenating from the top, caused by the "rods" that extend into the car to hold it in place, and the rubber "gaskets" on the top of the windshield and above your head. Once I coated the rubber and put a small amount in the holes that the "rods" extend into, as well as on the rods, total silence. I love it! Go to the website and order this stuff. I had tried other things that didn't work, this does!!!

I'm a 100% believer in using silicon grease. I've been using Dow Corning #4 compound two or three times a year on my NSX and on my wife's SLK320 for 8 years, and on my '84 Z51 Corvette for 22 years. No squeaks, except when I fall behind schedule with the next application. :biggrin:

Not only does it clear the squeaks, it helps preserve the rubber weatherstripping (still original on the '84).

Frank
'96 NSX-T, red/tan

I had a squeek, actually more of a stress/flex noise that no amount of lubing would fix. Driver's side. Took the trim cover off the left side of the targa, loosened all the nuts, put the targa back on the car and latched it shut and then tightened all the nuts with the rods extened in place. Then took the targa back off and reinstalled the trim. Worked like a charm.

I've found that bolting it to the roll cage helps quite a bit.

Hope that helps.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN0234.jpg
    DSCN0234.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 959
Can one over use the T top i.e. take it off and on too often and wear it out. should you use this lubricant regularly?

Silicon spray, Armor all, lotion will all the do trick. It usually happens during hot weather.

The noise was "inside" the car, emenating from the top, caused by the "rods" that extend into the car to hold it in place, and the rubber "gaskets" on the top of the windshield and above your head. Once I coated the rubber and put a small amount in the holes that the "rods" extend into, as well as on the rods, total silence. I love it! Go to the website and order this stuff. I had tried other things that didn't work, this does!!!

I'm going to have to try this.

Do you think the dealer would be willing to resolve this TSB under some sort of warranty?

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Reference/tsb/95-015.htm

Why would you buy a Targa to track and put a roll cage in?

... and go against the standard prime purist advice of getting the superiorly rigid late model coupe chassis for HPDE's. I always wondered the same thing... those crazy miata convertibles, targa vettes and P-Car racing around? Hmm..

I guess either the urban legend lives on, or their are some crazy track guys out there that just don't know any better I guess. :wink:

1206887246la.jpg

Back