• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

doesnt rev over 7000rpm 'till the car warm up

NO. And you should let it run for a few minutes before you do rev it up to be certain the oil is circulating to all the engine parts as not to abuse any parts not coated with oil from sitting.

Cheers
nigel

I think they covered this before with another owner.

I think the consensus was that it's like a newer M3 where the car will restrict you from pulling full redline when the car is not up to temp.

In any case, you should NEVER redline or overrev your car within about 10 minutes of starting your car. The oil must reach a certain temperature to provide good lubrication and the right viscosity to allow that kind of performance.

Also, if the car sits for just an hour, your car will still need to go through the warm-up period due to the temperatures at which the oil must maintain.

Shit, my car doesn't rev past 3k till it's warmed up.

Also, an important thing to remember is that the temp sensor gauges the coolant temperature, not the oil.

It's smart to wait about 10 minutes after the car comes up to temp before cutting into the higher rev range as the oil takes a little longer than the coolant to warm up.

Could you give me one good reason why you would try to rev your engine to redline before it's warmed up? :confused:

This is an expensive piece of finely-engineered craftsmanship. I don't even push my car past 3K RPM until I've driven about six or seven minutes on the freeway. Slow down and make your car last. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

I think the consensus was that it is normal behavior.

However, to even know that, it's sad to find out that someone with a potent sports car would treat it that way to have to ask the question.

Proper treatment would conclude in you not even knowing that the NSX has that feature because it never had to be used.

You live you learn I guess. No biggie. Just make sure you let the NSX ( and any other engine for that matter ) come up to temp. If you have other vehicles, they may not have that fail-safe in the rev limiter that the NSX does.

I thought nsxprime is different than other forums but I was wrong. Sorry for asking stupid question.

I thought nsxprime is different than other forums but I was wrong. Sorry for asking stupid question.

It's actually a good question. So, we will know which car to AVOID.:rolleyes:

BTW you didn't post your vin yet:tongue:

is this normal for 91 nsx? Thanks

Yes this is normal. Simple Fix ... Let The Car Warm Up :wink:

If your car has an issue with warming up replace the thermostat.

There is a DIY if you try the Search at the top of the page:smile:

We are a lot more tolerant if you post about street racing or ask for free Carfax reports. :biggrin:

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooh! LMFAO!!! you have me there! LoL! Damn! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: I don't know what to say now. I'm thinking of a comeback and i'm a dead stone.

Oh wait, 13.1 a/r with meth is perfectly fine. :cool: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

ok, ok 12.5

Not a stupid question. Being a newbie myself, I am sure I have asked questions that some of the more knowledgeable members may have thought was a waste of text space but regardless, I always did got an accurate answer. It shouldn't matter how elementary a questions appears to be, it is always better to ask and be prepared for the negative comments instead of not asking and having to worry about costly repairs as a result.

Try not to take some of the comments personal, the point of this community is to help each other and although some of the comments may not have been what you expected, you did get a good answer which is really the most important thing.

I learn something new each week thanks to this forum, so don't be discourage or hesitate to ask for help when needed because the members are extremely helpful.

I wish that eveybody like larry b, here to help not pointing finger. I'm new to nsx not to the honda vtec motor. I have low 12s all motor civic to 240sx with rb25det you name it and I did all the work accept tunning which I go to huy at inline or jason( stoopid) if I can get ahold with him. To be honest I only have the nsx for about three months now and I'm about about to boost it. I just wanna make sure everything ok before I do anything to the engine. Trust me I read almost every threads in this forum just to know more about the car.

Most thieves go the track to spot the car and they follow you to your house. Sometimes we have to stop at 10 or 20 different places before we actually go home. Post the vin# on the internet? :rolleyes:

is this normal for 91 nsx?
Yes.

And those suggesting that such a car should be avoided are just being foolish. The whole idea behind the electronics reducing the redline until the car warms up is that they prevent damage to the car. Sheesh...

I'm about to sound stupid too....but I'm pretty sure that's just the engine running out of air due to not being warm enough to engage the vtec cam lobe not an electronic rev limiter....maybe I'm just misinformed. Engine stops revving due to that's all the air it can flow on the low lift lobe.....any thoughts....flames whatever:smile:

Prime is very different than other forums. And no, it's not a stupid question. It's the behavior that is not very smart.

... I'm pretty sure that's just the engine running out of air due to not being warm enough to engage the vtec cam lobe not an electronic rev limiter...

It's electronic.

Back