• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Don't buy NSX, too cheap in JAPAN!!

I'm not sure what you're trying to convince me of. I laid out exactly what you'd need to do to bring over a Type-S zero. You would either:

1) pay for the process of NTSB certification on that model if it is deemed significantly different than the base NSX

Or

2) replace all Type-S zero parts with base model parts (US spec), import the car, and then swap back. This assumes that the Type-S zero is not considered significantly different enough than the base model to qualify as a different car.

I never said that it can't be done. I said that it couldn't be done in such a way that it would make the imported car *cheaper* than buying a US model.

Wasn't your original point that it would be cheaper to import the JDM car? Now you are talking about how anything is possible with enough money and the NSX is common in Asia while the M5 is more exclusive.

What is your real point here?

And by the way, Honda doesn't need my money so badly that they are going to devote an engineering team to building me a customized 900hp NSX. What would be in it for them? This is silly.

BUT... *even if they did*... I STILL wouldn't be able to get it into the US (after spending all those millions) without getting it NTSB certified (which would mean having a bunch more spare cars to destroy in crash testing)...

[This message has been edited by spookyp (edited 06 May 2002).]

Originally posted by Liao:
HI, RyRy210, Badfishlbc:
How are you doing? Ok, For Ryry210, My ’91 blue Nsx still at my garage, so teach me English and maybe I give it to you, deal?

Hmm, some sarcasm here maybe? Did they even make an NSX in blue for '91? The FAQ says no but I might be wrong.

Hey guys, i think there is some truth to what Liao says. I think i know what he is talking about, people from overseas are allowed to import any vehicle from their home country into the US regardless of titling/registration. And if you are a US citizen and know someone that lives overseas it can be done as long as they are willing to sign for the vehicle when it comes into the country. I don't know the details exactly, but they are allowed to drive the vehicle in the US for a period of one year after importation, then getting the vehicle registered after that is their problem, and if you can't get it done, then you are screwed. Another problem is emissions, so who says you can't import it into Florida. And another big problem is insurance...well that's when you just have to make them think it's a regular NSX, or a kit car/show car "special car" It can be done, i know people who have imported cars by that route, and most importantly it really just depends on who you know, and how much money you have.

nsxtasy,

Okay, fair enough, thats just what I was told by one of my salesmen friends at Goodson Acura in Irving TX a couple years ago. I was a little bit skeptical but they are one of the 3 largest volume Acura dealers in the states so while I was somewhat skeptical, I really didnt question. Especially since I wasnt financially ready to challenge the statement.
wink.gif

Liao, I wasnt really trying to make fun of your poor English, in a way, I was merely defending it. But whatever I guess..

------------------
'99 Black GSR
'97 Black Grand Cherokee

Hi, Chen127:
How are you doing? Finally someone know what am I talking, thank you, You must come from Asia, I think after you reply this message, probably nobody will give me ¡§ suck sign ¡§. Thank you again.
Let me explain how deliver ¡§ a car ¡§processing in most of country. First, no matter you buy a new car or used car even some car have savage title like 2001 Diablo vt $128000.
You have to study in the country and graduate ie: college degree or master degree, like my friend he got a master degree and deliver M5 to Japan.
Second, When your car arrive in your country, the car have to be inspection and then if the car pass, you have to pay 100% tax. But don¡¦t worry because you can prove you got graduate already, so they will return the 100% tax.
Well, if the car didn¡¦t pass, you will have two option: ( 1 ) return the car back to the country where you bought it.( 2 ) Pay money to manufactory to ask high-level machinist
to go your country and explain the inspection officer or add some stuff to pass the test.
Third change the title and all set. Say goodbye to them.

BTW, the ¡¦91 blue NSX was I go body shop to paint it, cost me $3000 and 2 week.
But look nice, anyway, the NSX still available. Who want to teach me English.
I like NSXTASY, because we¡¦re cool.
Thank you and all of us will have our dream car~~~

I saw a used '97 NSX (super clean) sell for a cool US$100K in cash in Chile in January of this year. There are all kinds of deals (all of them shady) that can be done to defeat the country's customs - here and in many countries overseas. You can have a diplomat import your car. You can buy the diplomat's right to bring the car into the country and order it yourself, etc. etc. In the end, all these deals are illegal and hardly worth whatever savings you may realize. You cannot import used cars into Chile at the moment, yet you see plenty of used "exotics" for sale - what gives? I know.

I think our friend Liao is speaking from his perspective of how to beat the system. I for one think this is just a waste of our time unless any one of us is considering doing this illegaly to save a few pennies. Just my humble opinion, of course.

Hi, Chen127:
How are you doing? Finally someone know what am I talking, thank you, You must come from Asia, I think after you reply this message, probably nobody will give me ¡§ suck sign ¡§. Thank you again.
Let me explain how deliver ¡§ a car ¡§processing in most of country. First, no matter you buy a new car or used car even some car have savage title like 2001 Diablo vt $128000.
You have to study in the country and graduate ie: college degree or master degree, like my friend he got a master degree and deliver M5 to Japan.
Second, When your car arrive in your country, the car have to be inspection and then if the car pass, you have to pay 100% tax. But don¡¦t worry because you can prove you got graduate already, so they will return the 100% tax.
Well, if the car didn¡¦t pass, you will have two option: ( 1 ) return the car back to the country where you bought it.( 2 ) Pay money to manufactory to ask high-level machinist
to go your country and explain the inspection officer or add some stuff to pass the test.

BTW, the ¡¦91 blue NSX was I go body shop to paint it, cost me $3000 and 2 week.
But look nice, anyway, the NSX still available. Who want to teach me English.
I like NSXTASY, because we¡¦re cool.
Thank you and all of us will have our dream car~~~

sweet... i don't understand why all the talk, if its true what you are saying (which i would beleive) then do it, get a right hand type zero or typr s and be the envy of many nsx owners, rather than talking about it

Hi, Chen127:
How are you doing? Finally someone know what am I talking, thank you, You must come from Asia, I think after you reply this message, probably nobody will give me ¡§ suck sign ¡§.

Okay, I'm from Asia, lived there for 14 years, and I have a friend who's a government official in Taiwan. I am also a very proud Hong Kong and American Citizen. So what's ur point?

Hi, Chen127:

Like I said in earlier replies, anyone can import anything if they want to. Making it a 100% carefree car that most of us enjoy by buying it here in the US is something different. Bill Gates imported a 959, but as of today its still not street legal (and its not legal because Porsche would not provide any cars for crash testing).

I think you have to be a little more specific in ur responses. I'm trying to figure out whether u r telling us ways to import cars to countries OTHER than the US, or import cars here to the US. I don't know how the process of ur friend importing an M5 to Japan has any relevance to a guy that lives in the US. I also do realize that importing a car that has a variant here in the US, like an NSX perhaps, is easier than importing something like a TVR or a used 959.

Here is something for those wanting to know more about importing a car to the US and US only.
http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/imp-exp2/informal/car.htm

I really don't see how this "who" you know and "how much" money you can spend would apply to all of us. Reading this thread I really don't see any money savings at all, its asking for more trouble than what its worth if u ask me. Isn't the purpose of this thread to convince me that its cheaper to import a street legal car than buying it at dealer showrooms? Well, I'm not at all convinced.

What you are telling me is mostly printed in black and white in thread above. You can import, but u also have to make it conform to US standards to keep it or else u have to destroy it or send it back sooner or later (unless its for display only, for a race event, etc). I think most of us actually do agree with that u r saying. That it CAN be done. But is it really cheaper than buying a US spec model if there is one available? This thread did begin as a statement that importing an NSX is cheaper than buying it here right? Is it not? So far I'm still not convinced its cheaper or more beneficial. Keep in mind that getting a New US spec NSX will ensure that it will have warranties backed by US dealerships. No customs, inspections, and other government regulations that needs to be dealt with. That too me is also worth money in itself.

[This message has been edited by RyRy210 (edited 07 May 2002).]

Since when are NSX's common in Japan?
I just entertained a Client from Japan who said He'd never seen an NSX on the road in Japan. EVER.

Hmmm...Common in Japan?? I think not.

My point for you is use your engilsh to tell Honda " I have money, and I want you built Nsx type s and I need 900 hp. money is not problem, just do it, I give you 2 month to finish it." and see what will happpen.

I just called. They laughed at me.

EDR

Hi guys,

I might know something about bringing cars to this country. Since a couple of my friends brought in Bugatti EB110 among others to this country. Everybody has to follow US rules. Even my friends who brought in the Bugatti EB110 had to bring it in under "show only" vehicle, not to be driven on the street. This was in the year of 96, Law might change since, but I really doubt it.

There are programs for foreign students who study in the US to buy the car in the US and bring it back to their home country upon completion of their study. But this is also depends on the country of origin.

Military personel (US) that are stationed outside the US, can bring the cars they purchased outside the country to the US, through military.

Diplomat is a whole another story. They can bring anything from their country of origin (of course need to be approved by the US govt, but usually no problem). They can sell some of the cars to public after use, or they can bring it back to their country.

Originally posted by erobbins:
I just called. They laughed at me.

EDR

Was that before or after you asked them to "Put double v6 engine which one in the middle the other one in front, maybe you can add one more in the back."
confused.gif

Hey guys, I think that Liao's original statement was that it would be more worth while for HIM to buy a BMW M5 here and import back to Japan rather than an NSX, because the M5's are so much more expensive than the NSX's in Japan. And he would rather just keep his M5, and buy a custom order NSX type S in Japan after he goes back after finishing school. Also that he believes it is possible to order JDM Honda NSX parts from Japan and ship them into the US if you have the funds. But some members thought he was refering to importing cars into the US cheaper than buying them. And some doubted that one can import a car such as an NSX type S into the US. And that is why he wrote all those informative replys trying to answers the questions about importing cars into the US. Just a big miscommunication. No harm done to anyone. And I hope that is what you meant by the post Liao, if not then disregard this replay. haha

[This message has been edited by chen127 (edited 08 May 2002).]

Back