• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Driver's side interior leak

I have a 1991 NSX which has water leaking in (soaking the carpet) on the driver's side behind the brake/gas pedals through the exterior wall. Seems to be upper left side. If it possible that debris has collected on the exterior, below the windshield not allow rain to properly drain outside and which is forcing it to find a way into the interior? Anyone have this similar issue? Any advice greatly appreciated.

I have a 1991 NSX which has water leaking in (soaking the carpet) on the driver's side behind the brake/gas pedals through the exterior wall. Seems to be upper left side. If it possible that debris has collected on the exterior, below the windshield not allow rain to properly drain outside and which is forcing it to find a way into the interior? Anyone have this similar issue? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Are you sure it's water and not brake fluid?

If it was brake fluid leak would it not be oily? This liquid isn't oily. Also, there is a lot ...my entire front driver map is soaked.

Brake master is full. I did noticed that the Windshield Dam sits off the windshield about 1/4". Unsure what the windshield dam's purpose is. .I'm assuming it helps to divert water running down the windshield. Correct? If so, would I be correct to assume that water is entering the interior this way?

First, check your coolant reservoir level to make sure that you haven't developed a heater leak and that is actually engine coolant that is collecting in the footwell.

The other possibility is the heater box drain. Operation of the AC and washing the car / rain result in water getting into the HVAC. There is a drain in the bottom of the unit. If the drain hose gets plugged the heater can fill with water. Lacking a correct place to go it may be ending up on your carpet. The hose has been known to come off the heater; but, in this case the water usually ends up draining into the passenger footwell, not the driver footwell. You can find the drain tube by pulling up the carpet on the passenger side and removing the sub woofer. When up on a lift, the drain hose is accessible from under the car and you can carefully probe the hose or blow air into it to make sure that it is clear (easier than pulling the carpet and the sub).

Back