• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Driving Ambition & Kip Olson announce assault on the SCCA World Challenge GT series

Driving Ambition & Kip Olson announce assault on the SCCA World Challenge GT series

GOLD RIVER, CA (September 28, 2009) The Driving Ambition team of driver Kip Olson and builder/mechanic Shad Huntley announced today that they will enter the first Acura NSX in the World Challenge GT series since PD Cunningham successfully campaigned the rare NSX in 2001. The Driving Ambition team and the #49 car will make their debut at the ALMS race weekend at the Laguna Seca Raceway on October 9-11, 2009.

Besides the age of the 1991 Acura NSX, the remarkable storyline about the Driving Ambition team is that they were rookies in the San Francisco Region of SCCA this year, challenging teams with much more horsepower and many more years of experience….and winning the Super Production (SP) class. Arguably the most consistent team on the SP grid, virtually the only points lost were due to mechanical problems on this 18 year old one of a kind turbo charged Acura. It should also be noted that Olson has shown consistent and remarkable speed with only a couple of years of kart competition several years ago. While several years of track day driving have developed some really “great hands,” he’s been a very quick study learning the fine art of racecraft in this very first year of serious racing.

"I know that we’re taking on a mighty formidable challenge," said Olson, a 44-year-old excavation contractor of Sacramento, CA, and we can’t really blame the WC regulars if they will be skeptical of our ability to be competitive. I’m ambitious, but not stupid and wouldn’t even consider it if Shad didn’t have the race engineering and car builder experience, a top notch race shop and most importantly, racing in his blood. He’s been building cars for me for over 7 years and he’s my racing brother.”

Joining Kip in the adventure is Shad Huntley, formerly Comptech’s guru for Honda and Acura performance parts. Prior to that, he worked on the IMSA Camel Lights Spice NSX and the Brix-Comptech Indy Car, both piloted by the legendary Parker Johnstone. Shad was the youngest IndyCar Chief Mechanic ever and, in 1997 was named Chief Mechanic of the Year while heading the Carl Hogan team with driver Dario Franchitti. “We made history with the number 49 on both the Spice car and the prototype Honda powered IndyCar, and we intend to make history with #49 on this optimized performance road car. What started out as an experiment in fun with Kip has quietly become a serious obsession with speed and handling.”

SCCA World Challenge officials understandably took a long hard look at this rookie team’s request to compete against world class pro drivers and equipment in the GT class. But Olson’s lap times and Huntley’s car building specifications speak volumes to their potential and led to this remarkable opportunity for both the Driving Ambition team and the World Challenge series. Look for this sleek mid-engine Ferrari beater on the World Challenge grid in October.
For more information on the Driving Ambition team, please visit their website at: http://www.drivingambition.us/ .

Attachments

• Kipblack.jpg
    Kipblack.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 201
  • DAPressRelease.pdf
    73 KB · Views: 32
Re: Driving Ambition & Kip Olson announce assault on the SCCA World Challenge GT seri

Very cool....!

Best of luck guys, I know you will do well and make us all proud....!

It's so cool to see the NSX's getting out on the track more in real competition....

Re: Driving Ambition & Kip Olson announce assault on the SCCA World Challenge GT seri

Awsome guys! Now I can hopefuly cheer you guys on as I did for PD. Good luck with whatever obsticles the rules makers throw at you.

Shad; Thanks for representing for Acura!! :biggrin:

That is awesome...best of luck to you guys.

Please keep us updated on the TV schedule and/or actual race report!!! This is probably one of the most exciting news.

I knew they are aiming bigger than that SCCA regional when I saw those build up pictures. :biggrin:

so what will be the competitors?

Woo! Represent!! Best of luck to the team!!!

That's awesome and great to see!!!

Good luck out there guys. I think I might be up there (hopefully in my NSX after a year of down time). I'll have to swing by and say hi.

Billy

Hi Billy, I hope you do. Another great result @ Spring Mountain but i'm not surprised. It seems noone can touch you in that car. Great job! I'm excited about this race. It will be completely different than what I used to. And much harder:biggrin:. Look forward to seeing you @ Laguna, Kip

Hey Shad and Kip good luck and I will see you there.
Let me know if you need help.

Igor

best of luck.. i've never really followed these much but now i have real good reason to!

xavier

Congrats guys! I was just looking at an old RTR poster that's hanging on the wall and wishing that somebody would bring the NSX back into that series. Well, wish granted! I can't think of anybody else to better represent the community than you two!

Cheers,

Cody

Congratulations! You guys have already got some fans - look forward to catching the races on TV!

Wow! This is great news! Congrats to you guys and we wish you all the best of luck!

I wasn't really planning on seca this year for ALMS what with audi missing and all. However, I think I'll be there to cheer these guys on.

WOW guys - Congrats. You Guys ROCK!!

Luck is important indeed, but I can also vouch to the details and minute measurement nuances that they are going through to get the car ready. It is really amazing.

Update,
Thanks for all the encouragement, we hope to not make our selfs look silly. I would like to thank Ted Idlof (92 white 0650) for the great race reports and the above press release. I enjoy reading them and I lived them. I think we have the car about ready. It took many changes to get it in World Challenge trim (a lot of stickers, single element rear wing, shorter front splitter, etc.). Also with the Toyo's we needed to take some camber out and soften up the chassis to get the tires to work better. I will try to update during the week end but I am sure we will be very busy. Cheers, Shad

Attachments

• DSC03147.jpg
    DSC03147.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC03148.jpg
    DSC03148.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 134
  • DSC03149.jpg
    DSC03149.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 131
  • DSC03150.jpg
    DSC03150.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC03151.jpg
    DSC03151.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 138

Good luck and keep the rubber side down!

It seems Sacramento will still not get any respect. The reported Kip was from San Jose ...... oh well; it is great to see him competitive.

7th for a rookie at this level is awesome.Good pace.But sucky we have to waite till Nov 3 to see it on speed:frown:I remember another rookie local privateer pretty much got payed to drive the series after winning a touring race in his honda..so who knows Kip could do very well.I hope you guys were able to get some help/hints from PD's old team.No need to reinvent the wheel.

Back