• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Drought and Car Wash

I have washed and detailed my own car since purchasing it four years ago. It has become difficult to wash the car at home with the water ban in North GA. I've been doing the washing at the neighborhood do-it-yourself car wash but this less than ideal.

Any thoughts and ideas on what others are doing would be appreciated.

Thanks,

NSXNTOP

Any thoughts and ideas on what others are doing would be appreciated.

Water ban? I would have to move for sure :frown:

Come on up here to Kentucky, I wash my car about everyday! :biggrin:

do what i do and wash it on the grass. if anybody bitches, say you're watering the grass:biggrin:

Last edited:
Actually, that doesn't sound that ridiculous as one is allowed to hand water the grass at certain times on certain days. Still, there would be at least one neighbor who would probably call the drought police. The penalty is a $1,000 for ignoring the ban.

Then, again $1,000 per wash may be worth it if the alternative is to let someone else wash it and possibly scratch the finish.

find someone with a business that works on cars and wash it there like i do :D

if you want to bring it to the south side on sundays you can wash yours too .

I also go to the do it yourself car wash place down the road from my house. I only go there to use their water. I bring my own soap, sponge, and bucket because the soap they use is too strong and will stip the wax.

It doesn't sound like our watering ban will be ending anytime soon. :mad:

...I also go to the do it yourself car wash place down the road from my house. I only go there to use their water. I bring my own soap, sponge, and bucket because the soap they use is too strong and will stip the wax...
Thanks, Steve. I've been doing the same thing. Just use their water, two buckets, my own soap, towels, etc. I go during off hours so there's no backup of cars as they frown on tying up a stall for too long. It's a pain but better than letting the car go.

I don't like using the pressure wash as I read somewhere that it's not good for the paint but I try to spray from a distance.

Thanks for the offer, Spider. A good excuse for a road trip to Stockbridge.

Last edited:
no problem. make sure to read up on your local water authority too. the little news letter for henry co. had some bit about them trying to get the ban undone or at least lowered significantly as the reservoirs are actually quite full.

just let me know and we'd be glad to have you and anyone else whose interested along for a car wash day. nsx, s2k, whatever :D

I also go to the do it yourself car wash place down the road from my house. I only go there to use their water. I bring my own soap, sponge, and bucket because the soap they use is too strong and will stip the wax.

It doesn't sound like our watering ban will be ending anytime soon. :mad:

hahahah I do the same at the local car wash. I use the CLEARCOAT setting and low rinse spot free dry.........3 coats of wax and polish though helps....If i can find some armor oil that stay and not sling---Gee----Every brand I use too wet or too dry....Whats in between...

Here you go a product just for you

Spray-On Car Wash Kit

Our Spray-On Car Wash Kit Is All You Need To Safely Wash Your Car Without Water, A Hose Or A Bucket!
There are some communities that have prohibited the use of the typical "water hose and bucket" method to wash your car due to drought and water restrictions. There are also communities that don't want the run-off going into the storm drains. How about when it's freezing outside but you really want to wash your vehicle? Now what? Instead of whining about it, I developed a process that will leave your car spotless, even if you have a heavy road film on your vehicle! Simply squirt on Spray-On Car Wash and gently wipe off to a deep shine. Spray-On Car Wash clings to the side panels of your vehicle and breaks up the road grime quickly. It also has great lubricity, wicks off fast, and buffs out to a fantastic shine. What can I say? It works so well, and is so gentle to the environment, it's even green! I strongly recommend using it with our specially developed Spray-On Car Wash Towels.
To use our new Spray-On Car Wash correctly, and to minimize any minute scratching that may occur from serious road grime, dirt, sand and mud, I've put together this awesome Kit. When you are done using our waterless car washing system, simply throw the towels in the wash with our Micro Fiber Cleaner. Use them over and over again! The Kit comes complete with four, 15 3/4" x 15 3/4", extra high loft Spray-On Car Wash Towels and a 35 ounce bottle of Spray-On Car Wash with our Finest Sprayer.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/11347.do

I've seen the same ad in the Griots catalog. If you have no aversion to paint swirls or scratches to the clearcoat this could be the answer. The same type of argument has been made against the California Duster. If you have a pristine finish on your car or a newly restored paint finish I would not recommend it.

I don't see any way this type of method can replace the two bucket system with lots of water for a gentle, abrasion-less process.

Don't mean to turn this into a car detailing thread, sorry.

Glad to see great minds think alike. I thought I was the only one hitting the spray car wash just to use their water.

I've seen the same ad in the Griots catalog. If you have no aversion to paint swirls or scratches to the clearcoat this could be the answer. The same type of argument has been made against the California Duster. If you have a pristine finish on your car or a newly restored paint finish I would not recommend it.

I don't see any way this type of method can replace the two bucket system with lots of water for a gentle, abrasion-less process.

I agree 100%. I know there are many products out there like this but, I wouldn't use it on my car.

Last edited:
Actually, that doesn't sound that ridiculous as one is allowed to hand water the grass at certain times on certain days. Still, there would be at least one neighbor who would probably call the drought police. The penalty is a $1,000 for ignoring the ban.

Then, again $1,000 per wash may be worth it if the alternative is to let someone else wash it and possibly scratch the finish.

If you put a sprinkler on "high" and then drove your car onto the front lawn for a few minutes, I doubt the fine would hold up in court!

While it may be a moot point to bring it up now, for those who want to wash their own cars, there is a way.

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html

Its called optimum no rinse and uses about 3 gallons of water. There are vids of it on youtube and alot of people swear by it over at autopia.org. Having lived south of Atlanta for the last few years, with the water restrictions going I was going crazy with not being able to clean my car. Found this stuff and it works well.

During the watering ban I've been doing like the others posted by going to the DIY carwash and just use their water. Bring your own bucket, soap, and wash mitt. $1.50 to rinse the car and fill up your bucket with water, wash car, then another $1.50 to rinse car again.

I've done this with one of my other cars, but not with my NSX: Move the NSX from the garage to the driveway while it is raining, and wash it (wearing a raincoat, of course). Let the rain rinse it, then move the car back into the garage to dry it. I know, some of you will not drive the car in the rain, but what's the difference if the water comes from the sky versus a hose?

Back