• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Drove my first NSX (What fun)..Have some quesitons???

My wife and I drove a '99 NSX-T today, with 2,800 miles on it. It was unbelievable. I have recently driven at least a dozen Vettes that are also lots of fun, but way different. The raw HP and torque of the Vette is there for the taking, but the power of the NSX is very sophisticated. Smooth as silk and the sound is intoxicating. I love it.

Now, I have a couple questions that concern me about THIS car and hope these are not common on all NSXs.

1. The clutch: From a dead stop this clutch grabbed very high (at least for me) and chattered. As the car warmed up, it chattered less, but still chattered. I would have hoped that this clutch would be VERY smooth. I complained to the dealer and he said he would have the NSX master tech talk to me when we returned to the dealership. I spoke to the mechanic and he said it was common. I have a problem with this.
  2. There were some squeaks and rattles in the dash. Sounded as though they were coming from the right-center, next to the AC and radio. The squeak came when rolling slowly over a bumpy road. The rattle came as I came to a stop. It lasted for a few seconds, like resonating inside the dash.
  3. Finally, I thought the passenger's seat was more comfortable than the driver's seat. The driver's seat seemed to have more lumbar support, more than necessary and certainly more than the passenger's seat.
    [/list=a]

The clutch is major, the others are rather minor. Is the clutch issue common? I hope not because it may cause me to not buy.

Thanks very much. I really appreciate the help that is available on this forum.

Rick

[This message has been edited by tabasco (edited 17 March 2001).]

The clutch: From a dead stop this clutch grabbed very high (at least for me) and chattered few much

I've been told the NSX clutch grabs high in comparison to some other cars, but I've never had a problem with it. The NSX certainly grabs higher than my bosses' 355 (and the clutch pedal doesn't have nearly as much resistance as the Ferrari's).

I find the clutch to be incredibly smooth...no chattering that I've ever noticed.

There were some squeaks and rattles in the dash.

Though I've not had any experience with strange squeaks and rattles, I seem to remember reading about such things in the FAQ. Check here:

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Troubleshooting/noise.htm

Finally, I thought the passenger's seat was more comfortable than the driver's seat

Can't help you here 'cause I've never been in my passenger seat
wink.gif

------------------
--akira3D ('00 NSX-T red/black #113)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

[This message has been edited by akira3d (edited 17 March 2001).]

Tabasco
Hey I am still working on the pics for the NSX BRA but I cant find the right box that it is packed away in. If you want I will bring the BRA up to you once I find it and you can drive the 92 I own for a comparison. I know it won't exactly the same (5 speed vs 6 speed and 92 vs 99) but it might give you a less preasured test drive and feel for the NSX than you will get test driving at a dealership.

What a coincidence, I just bought my first nsx today!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
I take delivery on Monday, but its a black/black 95 with 35K miles. The clutch is smooth, therefore, I would have to say that chattering is uncommon. I have also driven another 95, a 93, and a 91. Never have i ever experienced a chattering clutch. Neither of the 95s or the 93 made the squeaking sound either. Very bizzare....

The chatter or shudder in the clutch is usually due to the driver technique. Please understand that I am NOT suggesting that drivers who encounter it don't know how to drive a clutch. But the NSX requires a specific technique - in essence, to blip the throttle so that the clutch engages as the revs are falling, not rising. Do this, and there will be virtually no chatter at all. This is described in more detail in the FAQ section at http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Troubleshooting/clutch.htm

If you're still uncertain after trying this, go to a club event and let another NSX owner in your area try driving your car and see if it's a problem for him as well.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 17 March 2001).]

I had the same experience when I bought my 2000 last year... an awful lot of chatter. Turns out it was my technique - once I adjusted to the car, "the clutch" has been as smooth as I expected it to be :>)

Enjoy your NSX.
best,
hal

The dash shouldn't rattle at all, especially in a practically new NSX. Many people experience slight rattles in older NSXs, 91-93. My 93 has no rattling at all.

As for the seats, could it be that the passenger side seat is essentially new (hardly anybody ever sits in mine) and the driver's side is broken in so it's contours are slightly different?

could it be that the passenger side seat is essentially new (hardly anybody ever sits in mine) and the driver's side is broken in so it's contours are slightly different?

I would guess that is unlikely for a car with only 2800 miles on it.

I have no idea why the driver's seat and passenger's seat would feel different on a newer car though.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 17 March 2001).]

Thanks for all the replies. With all respect, I have had over 28 new cars, most with clutches. I pride myself on how I handle and care for a clutch. Never have I seen one that makes this kind of noise. When the salesman took the car out of the dealership for a few miles, I could tell that the clutch was chattering bad for him. I don't think it is my technique (although I have been wrong before).

I am going to drive the '98 that I may buy on Tuesday. If it chatters then I may have to relearn "clutch driving"...because I really love this car.

jmauck,
I really appreciate your offer. You have email.

From my experience with my own and driving other NSXs, the engaging of the clutch should be very smooth and effortless. I've never experienced the "chatter" that a lot of people talk about, but my advice would be to test drive another NSX for comparison.

Is there any chattering in other gears other than 1st? Also, I rarely drive my car hard from a stop but on occasion, I drive it pretty hard through the rest of the gears after 1st gear is engaged. Smoothest take off is found usually 1800-2000 rpms with little throttle(enough to keep the car from stalling).

Back