• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dry Sump Oil System - Anyone Make One for NSX?

Pardon me for asking Jimbo, but what are the advantages (and disadvantages) of a dry-sump system vs. conventional ones?
EDIT: since this question is a bit off-topic, I have reinstate it on a separate thread here: http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/005989.html

[This message has been edited by Zanardi 50 (edited 18 August 2002).]

Nobody I know of makes a conversion kit for the NSX, but you can adapt various other systems to work.

I would recommend installing an Accusump.

I thought the idea of going with a dry-sump is to lower the engine and thus the center of gravity of the car.

If I'm not mistaken, the dry sump has a few different benefits over an oil pan. As you mentioned, it takes considerable height off the engine and enables the engine to sit lower in the car for enhanced cg. It also keeps the oil from sloshing around in the pan and causing moments of oil starvation during high-g corners. Another benefit is that it reduces parasitic losses from oil foaming and oil wrapping around the crank shaft.

Back