• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dumb Laws Across The States

I grew up in Oklahoma. It is against the law to catch whales there. Yes, in a landlocked state. If I remember correctly, it's also against the law to share a hamburger.

One of my faves is RCW 46.61.100(2), which requires freeway drivers to keep to the right except to pass - i.e., no slowpokes in the left lane - you belong in the right lane.

Unfortunately no one seems to enforce this :mad:

There's also the definition of "what is slow" ? Less than 15-20 over the posted limit ??

Currently living in TN, this law cracks me up. It is illegal to hunt birds from an airplane. I never would have thought of that one.

I was born and raised in KY, and this law gets me even more....It is illegal in KY if you dont bathe once a year. That is right, you legally must take a bath once a year.

Another dumb law...in Arkansas, it is technically illegal to mispronounce the state name. It is legally to be pronounced AR-KIN-SAW by state law. Wow.

In Nevada, it is illegal to to forget to close a gate.

In Delaware, you cannot sell perfume as a drink.

Wisconsin law prohibits margarine from being substitued for butter in restaurants unless requested by the customer.

Funny stuff.

I've slowly come to find out a lot of dumb laws [not religious based anyways] aren't actually that dumb.

For instance, in TX it's highly illegal to shoot deer from air planes/helicopters. To most people, that probably sounds completely ridiculous. However, one of the biggest land holders in TX [there are many] used to win the white tail trophy every damn year. In south TX it's more or less a desert, with the highest tree being a 10-12 feet misquite. He owned several thousand acres and would spend one weekend during deer season to just fly around and slaughter anything with decently large horns, pick up whatever he could find, and usually in the midst he'd have a champion.

It's difficult to enforce the other things he [or others in his position previously] did that were illegal, but it isn't too difficult for the game warden to see a helicopter flying around when you can see 50 miles in any direction by standing in the back of a pickup truck.

That being said, there are just a whole slew of them that probably made a little sense 100 years ago but are idiotic today. I'd probably rather have them not go through them all on my dollar.

Bwhahahaha...ha..ha...hehe...he...uhhhhh...ohhhhhhhh. shit.

with the right vindictive prosecutor, you could spend months or years in prison for these offenses. not so funny, is it. :frown:

No doubt. A friend of mine was sued when he was caught receiving 'oral stimulation' from a girl-by her father.

I forgot what state it was in but it was indeed deemed 'illegal'. He had to make a plea deal and it ended up getting him kicked out of the military during the investigation [no idea how directly that's related] which went on for almost a year. He doesn't think it's too funny.

I believe it is ( or was ) illegal here in Knoxville to walk a tiger down the street.

I believe marijuana just makes people stupid, robs them of ambition, etc.; that is their choice. Make it legal and tax it like cigarettes. .

And alcohol doesn't? Anything can rob a person of their intelligence or ambition if they abuse it, including alcohol and tobacco and marijuana. As long as it is restricted enough to not negatively impact the user's life, I don't see why marijuana should be singled out when alcohol and tobacco kill more people than anything else.

And alcohol doesn't? Anything can rob a person of their intelligence or ambition if they abuse it, including alcohol and tobacco and marijuana. As long as it is restricted enough to not negatively impact the user's life, I don't see why marijuana should be singled out when alcohol and tobacco kill more people than anything else.

Yeah, well we could add a ton of things to the list-I was responding to what was originally posted- Marijuana.

there was something about mowing the lawn in the buff in Maine

check this out - http://www.hometownmotocross.com/pages/asinine_laws__all_locations.htm

a few from my city (Daley-town) include:

Law forbids eating in a place that is on fire.

It is illegal to give a dog whiskey.

Kites may not be flown within the city limits.

Spitting is forbidden

In the Pullman area, it is illegal to drink beer out of a bucket while sitting on the curb.

It is forbidden to fish while sitting on a giraffe's neck.

It is legal to protest naked in front of city hall as long as you are under seventeen years of age and have legal permits.

All the above are still on the books... Go figure

Back