• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dyno charts for I/H/E mods

So good god. Only 12 posts in a year? I could almost hear the crickets in here. Good lord, what has happened to Prime? Was active in here in the early 2000's

So anyway, to the three people that might be interested here are some dyno charts. This has been done a million times it seems, but here is another example.

The first dyno comparison is completely stock 1991 NSX vs generic aluminum tube and filter intake, Comptech headers, and an exhaust I made without cats, although I might add High flow ones in there. I don't see a power loss with those, and I like the difference in exhaust sound WITH them. All else is very very stock. Stock ECU. No tuning. STD corrected numbers. 95 deg F and humid... Houston, TX in June. 275 17"s wheels. Stock 91 5 speed.

The second dyno I found interesting. Same Comptech Headers and custom exhaust, but with stock intake box (lowest horsepower) open throttle body (next highest number) and last with aluminum tube and filter. - interestingly enough, the highest power number.

I plan to port out the intake manifold mainly at the throttle body with a larger aftermarket throttle body, and post the results here in a month or so... maybe. Then I will add an AEM tune able ECU and see if any more power can SAFELY be tuned in on 93 Octane, then a comparison of any Horsepower increase on E-85. Maybe 6 more is my best guess with Ethanol. Total around 280 to 285 corrected wheel horsepower. Dynojet. Turbo will be after that. Those are the plans anyway.

Just thought I'd share.

Last note, clearly, the stock systems flows as well or better below 5K rpm than the mods. SO no improvement to less horsepower. Very efficient stock set up.

Bruce before and after.jpg
Bruce nsx2.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty sure FB group killed this forum and the fact that my password here is more complicating than my banking app.

So if I am understanding correctly, you made the most power with an aluminum elbow and filter? Did you dyno that first? Could be heat soak.

It was done on the same day. Same Temps. The tube was done last so would have more heat, but made more power than just open throttle body.

I just made an aluminum tube inside the fender well facing rearward, so the the filter will be up high, but aft of the rear wheel. I will dyno that and see if it can back up those dyno charts. Here is the pic of how it will be.
DSC_0499.jpgt

I never would have expected the results you got from your aluminum tube intake compared to OEM. My gut would have said that the filter body is so close to the inner fender on the top and sides that there is going to be a significant restriction in air flow. Real world testing - didn't see that one coming!

Did you do the dyno runs with the fender liner in place or do you not run fender liners? Did you log manifold air temperatures and AFRs during the various dyno runs? Perhaps there is something else at play that might contribute to the power difference.

Nice I have the same modes and made the same power 270rwhp.

This is an interesting result. Dali did an intake dyno showdown in the early 2000's that pretty much proved the stock airbox is best for power. Of course, in that test all of the intakes were short ram types. This one is long and goes into the wheel well where the cold air is. IIRC, the LMGT2 car and Realtime Racing car both used versions of the stock airbox.

..hot tub baby................

Looks clean hows it sound?

The sound is something i stumbled on by making a lot of exhausts for other V6 engines. I am a fabricator for aftermarket anything. It is - in my personal opinion of course - The absolute best sounding NSX exhaust I've ever heard. The intake sound is hardly audible over the exhaust. I will post a video for sound on the next dyno session.

I never would have expected the results you got from your aluminum tube intake compared to OEM. My gut would have said that the filter body is so close to the inner fender on the top and sides that there is going to be a significant restriction in air flow. Real world testing - didn't see that one coming!

Did you do the dyno runs with the fender liner in place or do you not run fender liners? Did you log manifold air temperatures and AFRs during the various dyno runs? Perhaps there is something else at play that might contribute to the power difference.

Fender liner in place. Dyno runs were done back to back on the same day. The two runs of the Stock intake and open throttle body were done minutes apart. mid day. I do this for a living, so I have friends that let me play on their Dyno's when I ask.

This is an interesting result. Dali did an intake dyno showdown in the early 2000's that pretty much proved the stock airbox is best for power. Of course, in that test all of the intakes were short ram types. This one is long and goes into the wheel well where the cold air is. IIRC, the LMGT2 car and Realtime Racing car both used versions of the stock airbox.

The "stock airbox" they used had a larger pipe inside the fender. This is pretty much the exact same as me. I would bet my pipe and the full comptech piece improve/ make almost the exact same power because they both have a higher flow filter and get rid of , and make larger and or replace, the stock plastic baffled piece inside the rear quarter that has access to cooler outside air. And yes, the short ram is just a hot air filter in the engine bay.

Last edited:
3.0 T tops so my hair can blow...girlies on standby waitin just to say hi...............

no I kept on .....pursuing to the next block......

REALLY hoping he was headed that direction. :)

I talked a lot of SH1T about how great my exhaust is. I understand completely that it's all a matter of opinion. I'll still post up phone videos of it by the end of this weekend. I absolutely don't mind if you tear it up and flame it. :) We all do what makes us happy, and I love that.

Back