• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DYNO results

Just got my car dynoed. Its a 1993 71K miles.
Mods consist of K&N Drop In Filter, Comptech Headers & TAITEC JGTC Exhaust the rest are all stock.

MAX POWER- 264.48
MAX TORQUE-198.78

DYNO.jpg

Last edited:
how many miles on your car?

Did you establish a baseline before the mod's??

spartan2-3 said:
I've got 71K miles on the car and its an NA1 (1993), unfortunately I didnt get any baseline before my mods.

Bummer about the baseline because I'm willing to bet you've earned some pretty good gains for a 71K mile, 12 year old car that "only" made 270 bhp at the crank when it was new.

How does it sound?

Da Hapa said:
How does it sound?

funny thing that happened, everyone had their ears covered as it was the loudest car :biggrin:

My friend video taped a high speed pass, I'll post pictures and clip. Sounds awesome :cool:

Im over all happy with the results as I was expecting around 250'sh. I think the JGTC exhaust played an important role :cool:

Wow.. look at that A/F... 16.0 almost the whole way.. seems high.. usually when I tuned N/A cars we like to aim for 13.5... but i guess if that's stock then it is what it is..

x

It says Uncorrected at the bottom, so it may be significantly optimistic. As for the AFR, that's just plain wrong. Either their sensor is defective, or not calibrated, or they were reading exhaust diluted by air somehow. (And it’s not just from reading after the cats.) Their lack of attention to detail makes the entire run suspect, I hope it wasn't expensive.

I was told the A/F is kind of high. Will re-Dyno with Apex Motorsport with proper adjustments. I'll post results. I may get a chance to Dyno with the new Weapon-R Intake :biggrin:, I hear you can feel the difference.

Thanks for the feedback guys :cool:

NsXMas said:
I'd be interested in seeing what a quality dyno run will yield.

These are HIGHLY optimistic numbers. I think they're totally inaccurate or you got the BEST NSX motor ever built

I don't see why these numbers should surprise anyone. My '91 with headers and exhaust consistently dynos at 271 rwhp. Perhaps Spartan2-3 (and I too) really does have a strong motor. It's been known to happen.

ChopsJazz said:
I don't see why these numbers should surprise anyone. My '91 with headers and exhaust consistently dynos at 271 rwhp. Perhaps Spartan2-3 (and I too) really does have a strong motor. It's been known to happen.
You're kidding me, right?

The NSX engine puts out 270 HP at the crank stock. How could header and exhaust alone put 271 out to rwhp?

That is nuts.

NsXMas said:
I'd be interested in seeing what a quality dyno run will yield.

These are HIGHLY optimistic numbers. I think they're totally inaccurate or you got the BEST NSX motor ever built, or someone dropped in a 97+ motor in your NSX and you didn't know it. :wink:

I think its off but I hope its not too far off, I've seen NSX's with similar mods that typically puts out 255 HP+. Everyone that Dynoed today were pretty close to whats expected. I'll be sure and post the re-dyno print.

According to Ken

Headers and exhaust - USD2000-3000 - can add 15-20 horsepower
Comptech supercharger - USD8000-10000 - can add 50-80 horsepower

So rwhp may increase from ~235 to ~250/255.

If you get ~270 rwhp from the wheels from headers and exhaust alone, I bow to you.

That would mean a 50+ HP increase in your NSX motor, with such cheap mods. Or, your stock motor didn't have 270HP to begin with, but 290HP to begin with.

If that's the case, I say the technicians at the NSX factory are some of the worst engine builders in the world.

Why? If they can't consistently build engines to ~2-5 HP variance according to spec, then they are doing something seriously wrong. If one engine can yield 20+ HP on the assembly more than another randomly, then quality control is down the drain.

Again, I'd be interested in seeing corrected, quality dyno results.

NsXMas said:
You're kidding me, right?

The NSX engine puts out 270 HP at the crank stock. How could header and exhaust alone put 271 out to rwhp?

That is nuts.

Headers are known to put out 18 WHP on average and Exhaust about 6HP, maybe we both got the High end of the average :biggrin:

270 HP Stock less 12-13% HP loss through drivetrain should give you about 237 to the wheels+ ~24 should give you around 261 HP so Im NOT kidding, it shouldnt be too far off :smile:

Yes I dynoed my car on a "pessimistic" dyno. Keep in mind my car has had mucho money thrown at it in the form of performance mods.

My car dynoed at ~276 rwhp. It has comptech headers, JGTC exhaust. It also has some significant internal engine mods - Comptech IEM modification (ported heads, Comptech camshafts, Comptech valve springs, Comptech retainers), SuperTune ECU installed to operate the IEM mods at the highest level of efficiency.

Basically I can't get any more horsepower out of my motor without going to a bigger motor or putting a supercharger on it. That's why I'm very doubtful of some of the dyno #'s I see.

NsXMas said:
Yes I dynoed my car on a "pessimistic" dyno. Keep in mind my car has had mucho money thrown at it in the form of performance mods.

My car dynoed at ~276 rwhp. It has comptech headers, JGTC exhaust. It also has some significant internal engine mods - Comptech IEM modification (ported heads, Comptech camshafts, Comptech valve springs, Comptech retainers), SuperTune ECU installed to operate the IEM mods at the highest level of efficiency.

Basically I can't get any more horsepower out of my motor without going to a bigger motor or putting a supercharger on it. That's why I'm very doubtful of some of the dyno #'s I see.

I can see your doubtful, but my bone stock '95 runs 240 rwhp all day long. I have no headers no exhaust. All I have is a good mechanic that keeps it running smoothly. To only get 276 for the kind of money you spent, well, it seems like a bit of a shame. (unless it was 200 degrees outside with 99% humidity)

slashmatt said:
I can see your doubtful, but my bone stock '95 runs 240 rwhp all day long. I have no headers no exhaust. All I have is a good mechanic that keeps it running smoothly. To only get 276 for the kind of money you spent, well, it seems like a bit of a shame. (unless it was 200 degrees outside with 99% humidity)
I see no shame at all. It's totally realistic and well within the parameters of the expected gains (50+ HP increase). I just think that some people are too optimistic about what gains can be expected with certain mods.

Honda designed the engine to perform extremely efficiently with maximum reliability.

It would be silly to think that a few thousand dollars, or even tens of thousands of dollars can overcome some of the basic engineering parameters that Honda faced in designing this extraordinary machine.

If extra HP could be gained easily, and relatively cheaply, Honda would have done it. The fact that the NSX engine is so well proven, reliable, is a testiment to the original engine design.

Short of superchargers, I have been very happy with the reliable HP gain on my car. It will pull hard on most NSXs, and surprise the heck out of most other cars.

My dyno pulls were on three different dynos on three different days. All three came out within 2 rwhp of each other.

I see no reason th doubt them. You, on the other hand, do. :rolleyes:

ChopsJazz said:
My dyno pulls were on three different dynos on three different days. All three came out within 2 rwhp of each other.

I see no reason th doubt them. You, on the other hand, do. :rolleyes:
Well, congrats. You've got an incredible NSX with an incredible engine.

What else can I say?

The facts are the facts. I wish I could distort them. :smile:

Please don't take my skepticism personally.

Look at the 97+ engine - its engine displacement is increased from 3.0 to 3.2 liter. In addition, Honda improved the header design so that it no longer makes economic sense to buy after-market headers for huge HP gain. The stock exhaust is also improved to be decent.

With all of these improvements, the stock motor spec states 290 HP. Take into account 13% powertrain loss, that means about 252 RWHP.

You're telling me, that just with after-market headers and exhaust on your 93 NSX engine, you're making 20 more RWHP than a 97+ NSX that has a bigger engine/enhanced headers/exhaust.

I hope you can understand my skepticism.

This is also why I can not be upset with my dyno runs. With my engine mods, I have effectively gained 20+ more horsepower NA over the bigger, newer NSX engine, all with minimal loss of reliability. That is not too shabby at all.

Last edited:
269 baby! lol...

hmmm... I've seen bone-stock NA1's 5spds dyno anywhere from 237.5 to 242.5 (obviously I've omitted the highest/lowest examples). My stock 1991 5spd w/ 75k miles at the time of the dyno showed pulls of 239-240rwhp. Only addition to my NSX is the K&N drop-down filter.

NsXMas said:
That would mean a 50+ HP increase in your NSX motor, with such cheap mods. (replying to ChopsJazz's 271rwhp)

It's totally realistic and well within the parameters of the expected gains (50+ HP increase). (in regards to own ~276rwhp)

Are you saying a bone-stock NA1 motor should dyno at about 220rwhp?!? :eek: (time to call FactorX or GerryJohnon!!!)

Re: 269 baby! lol...

Osiris_x11 said:
hmmm... I've seen bone-stock NA1's 5spds dyno anywhere from 237.5 to 242.5 (obviously I've omitted the highest/lowest examples). My stock 1991 5spd w/ 75k miles at the time of the dyno showed pulls of 239-240rwhp. Only addition to my NSX is the K&N drop-down filter.

Are you saying a bone-stock NA1 motor should dyno at about 220rwhp?!? :eek: (time to call FactorX or GerryJohnon!!!)
LOL note I did say I used a pessimistic dyno.

I wouldn't be surprised if my car pulled 290+ rwhp on some of the dynos. I'm not after high HP #'s. I'm after the HP gain on the same dyno. That's why I regret not having a baseline to compare with.

With the variability of dynos, and operator errors, high HP #'s don't matter to me (they are not absolute, in reference to other dynos). What matters to me is that the car never feels wanting for power or torque, and I think I have achieved that.

If I pull hard on an NSX that has greater acclaimed HP #'s on a dyno, then the dyno #'s don't mean very much to me. ;)

I actually am ecstastic with my NSX. It has huge HP #'s, relatively speaking, compared to a stock NSX. It has a well balanced portfolio of performance mods - engine, suspension, transmission, carbon fiber parts in lieu of some stock parts, and some visual enhancements both exterior and interior. It also is extremely durable and reliable, and I can beat on it all day long if I wish (although most of the time I pamper it).

I am currently in "maintenance mode", meaning I can't think of any other mods that I'd do to my car to make it any better, other than some minor stuff, such as HIDs, etc. So I'm in hog heaven. :tongue:

PS - sorry for hijacking the thread. You are now returned to your normal programming. :tongue:

Back