• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

EBC-Brakes... anyone have any experience with this company?

I saw in a euro sports car mag about this company, and i was thinking about trying them out since i need new rotors and pads... (and since i HATE brake dust!)

On the magazine article, i read that the green pads hardly produce any brake dust.... i'd have to see that to believe it.

What do u guys think?
http://www.ebc-brakes.com/automoti.htm

-Electro

I've liked the RM Racing brake pads for a long time. Whenever another kind of pad came along - Ferodo, Motor Mail, etc - I tried them (and had earlier tried the Porterfield R4S) but always came back to the RM Racing pads as my first choice. I finally decided there's no need to keep trying others when I'm so happy with the ones I've been using all along.

Nsxtasy, how are the RM racing pads on brake dust? i hate having to clean my rims and scrub them down every 2 days to keep them clean!

-Electro

I haven't noticed any difference between the RM pads and others in the amount of brake dust. They don't create a huge amount of visible dust on a short drive (like the regular Carbotech Panthers do; supposedly the new Panthers Plus don't). But eventually all brake pads will dust. And, of course, on the track they all dust a lot, too.

A friend of mine used EBC race pads - they were toasted in just one session - all the way down to the metal. This was one an Integra.

A Civic Type R had the same pads and he had the exact same problem - pad just got obliterated under moderate use.

I'm shocked at how many "performance" products are developed without any real track testing. For example, my friend can't keep his AEM rotors from cracking at every event using Hawk racing pads. These are supposed to be "high performance" rotors.

Originally posted by Electro:
I saw in a euro sports car mag about this company, and i was thinking about trying them out since i need new rotors and pads... (and since i HATE brake dust!)

On the magazine article, i read that the green pads hardly produce any brake dust.... i'd have to see that to believe it.

What do u guys think?
http://www.ebc-brakes.com/automoti.htm

-Electro

I've been using EBC brake pads in my racebikes and streetbikes since 1985. They are an established name in Europe and North American motorcycle community.

Vic

Is there anyone that has tried EBC Yellow Stuff on the street and track? I’m very pleased with my Carbotech Panter+ but it’s time to change and I’ve got a really good opportunity on Yellow Stuff.
My concern is how Yellow Stuff work cold and if they can handle the heat on the track.

As I'm from the UK I have had experience of EBC pads, along with a few other people.

To sum up: They are RUBBISH, TRASH call them what you will.

They are available front and rear. I have used the Red Stuff, which are designed for mild track usage. They have no bite, you sometimes have a very worrying moment wondering if you are going to stop for things like lights etc. They all dust, they all don't last very long. Someone rang EBC to complain about them, and they said that even though they claim track and race usage for some of their pads, that doesn't mean they will perform well.

They are cheap. I now have Mintex 1155s all round, they are excellent, high co-eff friction and good bite.

JChoice said:

I'm shocked at how many "performance" products are developed without any real track testing. For example, my friend can't keep his AEM rotors from cracking at every event using Hawk racing pads. These are supposed to be "high performance" rotors.

I agree. In my opinion there are two ways of looking at this;

1. The quality of the parts and development isn't up to scratch. They're not going to last long no matter what happens.

2. The quality of the parts is good, but if a part is a true race part, then by definition it may not be designed to last long. If a race part lasts for 10 years it could be over engineered, and possibly heavy. A true race part should last the length of the race and no more.

Putting race parts on your cars shouldn't automatically mean it's going to last a long time.

J14nsx:
I’ve read that EBC Greens is rubbish on anything heavier than an Elise but Red and Yellow should work fine. According to EBC Red and Yellow isn’t for street use because they need some heat before working properly.
As I understand your post Red Stuff doesn’t work that well cold and when warm they dust like any other Pad.
How is the bite warm with Red?
How long did they last and how long do “real” pads last?

J14nsx,

Although I haven't used the EBC brake-pads myself I have heard similar complaints from other people who did use them. (especially the 'Green-stuff'). But I also have talked to people in smaller cars (Clio for ex.) who were quite happy with them.

Do you have some more info on the Mintex you are using ??

I am using the Axxis Ultimate pads from Dali and they work fine for me so far. They do dust though although I might had I am pretty hard on them.

I had a friend who tried the RED Stuff on his Acura Legend and it wore down within 2-3 months. I have used the Green Stuff on both my Acura Legend Coupes and they work great. Much better than the Axxis Metal Matrix pads. I have over 15k miles on it and they still look like 50%. Very little dust too. It is odd that some have problems while others don't. The Legend isn't exactly a light car either at nearly 3700lbs. Just from talking to the few people I know, those who track it don't like it. Those who use it for street driving seem to have no problems. I guess for the NSX I'll just stick to the OEM pads.

EBC pads and rotors are crap especially if you want to do some serious tracking with your car, for everyday street driving (normal driving) they might be good....but dont use them as an option for track use..you will only get disapointed....i have seen them get totally wasted after 20+ hard laps on a civic vti

/Stef

Klas said:
J14nsx:
I’ve read that EBC Greens is rubbish on anything heavier than an Elise but Red and Yellow should work fine. According to EBC Red and Yellow isn’t for street use because they need some heat before working properly.
As I understand your post Red Stuff doesn’t work that well cold and when warm they dust like any other Pad.
How is the bite warm with Red?
How long did they last and how long do “real” pads last?

Maybe I need to be a little clearer.

I have used the Red pads, I don't care about dusting so I don't usually comment on that. All I want is good feel, and stopping power from. Red stuff are not good at all at stopping. Red's are supposed to be for fast road use too, but they don't get any better as they warm up either.

They lasted better than OEM, but, as I wasn't very confident with them took it easy on the brakes. If used hard they wouldn't last.

I have used the Mintex pads for one track day so far. They felt excellent, and I was stomping on the brakes as hard as I could. They are hard pads with metal in them, so now the discs are a bit scored.

Mintex say not to use these pads on the road at all, but they are lot better than EBC. They also cost a lot more.

MvM said:
J14nsx,

Although I haven't used the EBC brake-pads myself I have heard similar complaints from other people who did use them. (especially the 'Green-stuff'). But I also have talked to people in smaller cars (Clio for ex.) who were quite happy with them.

Do you have some more info on the Mintex you are using ??

I am using the Axxis Ultimate pads from Dali and they work fine for me so far. They do dust though although I might had I am pretty hard on them.

Hi Maarten,

The Mintex pads are in 1155 compound. There are three compounds 1144, 1155, 1166. 1144 is for road use and light track, 1155 is for heavier track, but not certified for road use.

I have the 1155, they dust quite a lot, and they'll squeal after a 1000 miles too. They are hard on discs. But, they stop good. They have a high coeff of friction, like .56 or something.

Problem is they stopped making NSX rears. I bought all the last remaining sets, and sold a few on. To have more, I need to buy 5 sets at a time and have them made up.

For more www.mintexracing.com, they have been around forever,

I use EBC HH sintered brake pads and rotos on my sportbike. They are great IMO, but I have no experience with them on cars. :)

I once used the yellow EBC front pads at a track race at Monza. I had to retire after 4 laps because I lossed all my braking power.

For the people who know Monza (Italy), it happened at the end of the straight where you have to use all the available braking power to get through the new chicane. The speed at that particular point is about 150 mph. It was a miracle that I didn't hit the barriers or worse, some of the other competitors.

The pads were all gone and my almost new discs were ruined.

I know that Monza is very hard on the brakes, but this wasn't normal.

Cheers,
Gerard

My opinion on this is if you want a better then stock Pad go with the Hawk HPS Pad low dust and bites better than stock. I've had these in for around a month now and are very happy with them. I had the Carbotech Panthers in for a short time and they dusted way to much for me so I went back to the stock pads until I found these Hawks. You can get a great price on them at www.raceshopper.com ;)

Steven 91 Blk/Ivory

Back