• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ECU /Fuel controller

Edo

Experienced Member
Can someone clarify the whole ECU/Fuel controller bit?
I am planning on installing a Motec M-4 controller on my NSX prior to the installation of the HC pistons and Velocity stacks. WHat I dont understand is what exactly each peice does. If I get a Fuel controller like the M-4, does that take over for the ECU? Or do I also need a performance ECU (ie
biggrin.gif
ali or Comptech). I've heard of people burning more optimized fuel curves into a performance chip, but isnt that what a Fuel controller allows you to do? Argh confusing confusing.
Someone please help me.

I use an M4 on my car.

While the Motec M4 is sophisticated enough to run almost everything on your car, the best way to install it on a street driven NSX is to piggyback it with the stock ECU. You don NOT need any upgrades to the ECU.

What you should do is use the Motec to control everything that has to do with the motor (ignition, timming, etc.) and use the ECU to run all of the mundane stuff (dash, AC, etc.) You might also use the stock ECU to run the idle and cold start routines if you can. This way you do not have to reinvent the wheel for the basic stuff and you leave as many channels as possible open on the Motec for engine management, traction control, etc.

By the way, Motec is the best engine management system you can buy off the shelf. Only formula one/GTP cars, etc. have more sophisticated systems. You are going to love it. Any time you modify your car in the future, you will be able to exactly tune your engine for the new mods.

Who is installing it for you? This is VERY important as it is a very complex, very sophisticated system and there is a great deal of variation between the skill levels of different installers. The only dealer I would expressly tell you to avoid is JG Engine Dynamics. Javier is the worst Motec dealer in the U.S.

So the Motec M-4 is capable of controlling your TCS too? Thats very interesting.
So piggybacking a Motec M-4 on the stock ECU would basically give me an infinitely variable/programmable fuel curve correct?

Originally posted by Edo:
So the Motec M-4 is capable of controlling your TCS too? Thats very interesting.
So piggybacking a Motec M-4 on the stock ECU would basically give me an infinitely variable/programmable fuel curve correct?

Correct. The Motec has the ability to control fuel and timing accross the entire operating range of the engine. Also, if the Motec is running your TCS, you can adjust the parameters on that as well (how much wheel spin to initiate it).

Any time you want to change the engine management, you just plug it into a laptop and set it however you want it. If you have a good Motec dealer near you, you could precisely tune your car anytime you made modifications to it.

Back