• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Electronically adjustable ride height?! Why not?

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/news/011202_TEIN_EDFC/

I see this... then I think, why not make it so that u can adjust the ride height of your NSX so u can go over that same curb or speed bump u just can't seem to drive over every day for work without scrubbing?

Kind of like hydro's but without the ghetto... more of like a functional kit rather than for show...

Have presets so u can just drop and go...

Track mode
Street mode &
Cruising Low mode...
smile.gif
(or whatever u wanted)

What do u guys think? This shouldn't be that difficult...

-Electro

HAHA just like those things that perform like no other... yeah.

Remember I'm talking about performance. *NOT* show.
smile.gif

You know, like the TEIN coil over suspension with servo motors to adjust the ride height electronically ... instead of having to get out of the car and do it manually w/ a bulky wrench...

-Electro

[This message has been edited by Electro (edited 14 February 2002).]

My bad. I forgot, you guys drive NSX's not NOPI's. Your car is actually almost fast (unlike the lesser counterparts aka Preludes, Civics, Integra's etc...)

And before I get a million reply's about how it's only a six cylinder and it's not built for drag racing blah blah blah ad nauseum, I AM giving the most credit I give any japanese car.

[This message has been edited by Psychoholic (edited 14 February 2002).]

There are a few production cars, both utility (Range Rover) and sport (Lamborghini) that have height adjustable systems. However, I think the major factors against such a system for the NSX would be weight and cost.

I agree though, it would be a nice feature if it didn't have those negatives.

One of the real interesting suspension products I've seen is Delco's electro-hydraulic damper system. Used on one of the new Caddys, the system works by polarizing ferrous particles in the fluid found within the damper body. The system can control the ride quality in real time. Less moving mechanical parts is always a cool thing.

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

http://www.NSXClassifieds.com - free NSX classifieds site!

I don't remember seeing you walk me on that red light a couple of months back? whats that? skuzziloot sloot woot? What's that jack?

The question is,... CAN YOU DEAL WITH THAT!

ok ok poor reference to "Meet the parents"... but i digress.

I believe we were neck and neck in that one... until I hit that first curve then I waved to you in my rear view mirror... at least u could sling it sideways and *try* to keep up w/ me... i'll give u an A for effort
biggrin.gif

-Electro

Originally posted by ScienceofSpeed:
There are a few production cars, both utility (Range Rover) and sport (Lamborghini) that have height adjustable systems. However, I think the major factors against such a system for the NSX would be weight and cost.

I agree though, it would be a nice feature if it didn't have those negatives.

One of the real interesting suspension products I've seen is Delco's electro-hydraulic damper system. Used on one of the new Caddys, the system works by polarizing ferrous particles in the fluid found within the damper body. The system can control the ride quality in real time. Less moving mechanical parts is always a cool thing.

-- Chris

True...weight is a concern... but w/ a SC I wouldn't be too worried about a few more pounds... All the more reason to take things off else where... weight isnt that big of a deal as long as I am ~500-600 pounds less than a Rustang
smile.gif

-Electro

Race me now.

You raced my just barely 13's setup.

You don't have anything for my low 12's all motor with just basic bolt ons setup.

Where's your car anyway? (sorry bro, had to)

Can't wait actually.

You know my club has rented a racetrack for May 19th (gates open at 9, start racing at 10, go until 5).

I sure would like for you to put your money where your ego is...

(and that offer is open to anybody who comes here. Come down and show us what you've got)

(Electro and I are friends, there is no malice, just good old fashion trash talkin)

[This message has been edited by Psychoholic (edited 14 February 2002).]

I'd be interested in seeing numbers on how well the electrically adjustable suspensions hold up on a track compared to the wrench adjustables.

Do the extra components involved reduce the effectiveness at all? I've seen the Range Rovers setup, and it is definitely neat, but most Range Rovers aren't really pushing it through the twisties
wink.gif

Originally posted by Electro:
I see this... then I think, why not make it so that u can adjust the ride height of your NSX so u can go over that same curb or speed bump u just can't seem to drive over every day for work without scrubbing?
Are you thinking a real-time adaptive system that can adjust to changing conditions, or a discrete "switch operated" one??

The earlier Lambo ones had a switch operated lifter to allow you to clear speedbumps etc. In other systems, the car lowered by 1/2" or so when cruising at or above a predetermined speed (akin to the speed-activated spoilers on Porsches and on the new Lambo)

Of course it would be extremely nice to have a system that could sense what the driving conditions required.... but that would mean that the system would have to be aware of all the vette's and rustang's that wanted a piece of NSX goodness
smile.gif

But serously, I'd be totally happy w/ a system that would just use servo motors to turn the knobs that you'd normally have to do manually while parked in your driveway or parking lot... it would be so much easier to be able to dial in the desired ride height... I'm sure it wouldnt take that much engineering to figure out how to turn those darn things with a servo right?

-Electro

Now this is something I am really interested in. I have become so fearfull of ripping out my front end that I practically premap where I do and don't drive. Is there a real possibility of making a system like this work? How much clearance could we gain?

I hear you can get these special springs to increase the ride height of your NSX, to avoid this problem. There are ones on the market that give you an inch extra height over many of the aftermarket springs, but still have a nice firm feel and great ride quality. They're made by some weird brand, I think it's called "Acura"...

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 14 February 2002).]

Back