• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Engine compartment glass would not open

I cannot open the engine compartment , the lever turns but the glass would not unlatch. Is it mechanical or electrical? How do I unlatch the glass? What is the fix? Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Sounds like the latch inside the car or the latch at the glass is broken, or the cable that connected to either latch has come off the latch.

Easiest is to check the one inside the car. You'll have to do some wrenching, but if you slide the dr. seat all the way forward, remove the rear panels against the firewall and then remove the door sill trim cover and finally the panel against the dr side where the seat belts come through, you can gain access to the latch and see if its broken or if the cable has become disconnected from it. Either way, once you get access to the latch from behind, you can manually pull on the end of the release cable and (if its the inside latch thats broken) pop open the glass.

Otherwise, if the inside latch is fine, you'll have to figure out a way to pop the glass from the glass latch :confused:

Mine did this once - try pulling the lever away from the back to make sure its not loose.

I took the car to the dealer and when I got it back, the lever was busted. So I had them repair it. They wanted about $80 but I told them it happened when it was there so they paid for it.

I cannot open the engine compartment , the lever turns but the glass would not unlatch. Is it mechanical or electrical? How do I unlatch the glass? What is the fix? Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Mine did this once or twice and i noticed mainly when the latch had not returned itself smoothly to the vertical position (you pull it up horizontal to open the glass hatch right). Making sure the latch in the drivers compartment was closed/vertical position I just depressed the glass hatch firmly a couple of times (fingers right above the lock position) and the latch in the car jumped back to closed/vertical - system then worked ok as if cable was sticking. Since then it has happened once more but the same fix worked without having to strip the interior thank goodness ...maybe just time though before I have to do more serious DIY

I didn't know you could lock it:confused:

some of the latches let u put the key in about half way into the lever and keep it from opening the back glass altogether.

Mine did this once or twice and i noticed mainly when the latch had not returned itself smoothly to the vertical position (you pull it up horizontal to open the glass hatch right). Making sure the latch in the drivers compartment was closed/vertical position I just depressed the glass hatch firmly a couple of times (fingers right above the lock position) and the latch in the car jumped back to closed/vertical - system then worked ok as if cable was sticking. Since then it has happened once more but the same fix worked without having to strip the interior thank goodness ...maybe just time though before I have to do more serious DIY

That sounds like its not totally closing all the way to me. Do you see the light on the dash light up when its having this problem?

some of the latches let u put the key in about half way into the lever and keep it from opening the back glass altogether.

Ok, I'm totally confused now.
Is this something used on 'T' models?
Where are you putting a key in halfway? My lever doesn't have a place for a key to go into it.:confused:

Where are you putting a key in halfway? My lever doesn't have a place for a key to go into it.:confused:

some of the levers dont have it. When the dealership broke my lever, they replaced it with one that has no locking mechanism in it. The OEM one has it.

My old 91 had it as well. So its not NSX-T specific. :)

If I had it, I'd take a picture and show u. :redface:

some of the levers dont have it. When the dealership broke my lever, they replaced it with one that has no locking mechanism in it. The OEM one has it.

My old 91 had it as well. So its not NSX-T specific. :)

If I had it, I'd take a picture and show u. :redface:

I would like to see this as well. I've had a '91 as well as my current NSX-T. I can't see it. His cable is broken or dislodged. If you don't have a camera, like me, tell us where to look.

I would like to see this as well. I've had a '91 as well as my current NSX-T. I can't see it. His cable is broken or dislodged. If you don't have a camera, like me, tell us where to look.

Its pretty easy to find if you have it. Like I said my lever has been replaced with one that does not lock.

The lock itself is on the actual lever. Its silver and right on top of the lever if I remember correctly. Or it might be on the left hand side of the lever (facing the drivers seat)

Hopefully someone has it and can show us all. :) I know im not crazy! lol

If its locked, the lever will turn and it will not 'catch'... so it wont open the back glass while locked of course. So yea it may seem like its busted when it could be just locked. :) move the seat forward and take a look around. You might find it.

That sounds like its not totally closing all the way to me. Do you see the light on the dash light up when its having this problem?

No it actually closes fine/warning light out, but on the release stroke this ocassionally happens - catch turn horizontal but does not release glass lid. My DIY fix seems to work so far anyway as I would not like to delve any deeper!

I'll post a pic later of mine to see if I'm stupid and looking in the wrong place for this 'lock'.
I wonder why some cars would have a lock for the glass and some wouldn't.:confused:

Attachments

• latch1.jpg
    latch1.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 191
  • latch2.jpg
    latch2.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
I wonder why some cars would have a lock for the glass and some wouldn't.:confused:
The only time I ever lock mine is when I park the car with the roof off.
It makes sense to me that the lock came in with the NSX-T.

release.jpg

The only time I ever lock mine is when I park the car with the roof off.
It makes sense to me that the lock came in with the NSX-T.

release.jpg

Great picture THANK you! :biggrin:

That explains it. It is only for a T model.
I'd missed seeing where enkrypt3d said he had a locking lever on his '91. So I don't know for sure that it was a -T thing (although that would make sense to me).

One more thing. I checked whether the valet key works in this lock and... it doesn't. Just the main key.

I'd missed seeing where enkrypt3d said he had a locking lever on his '91. So I don't know for sure that it was a -T thing (although that would make sense to me).

One more thing. I checked whether the valet key works in this lock and... it doesn't. Just the main key.

I wish I still had my valet key :(

And yea I'm 100% certain it was on my 91 way back when... And it was on my current one until the dealer had to replace the lever itself which was replaced with a non-locking one..

Even if you had the top off, and the windows up, I doubt anyone could reach the lever let alone find it for those that are not familiar with the car.

The lock is for the "T" since the top can be in the back. Early coupes do not have it. Maybe the 98-2001 coupes have it, I am not sure. I can tell you your 92 does not:).

HTH,
LarryB

The lock is for the "T" since the top can be in the back. Early coupes do not have it. Maybe the 98-2001 coupes have it, I am not sure. I can tell you your 92 does not:).

HTH,
LarryB

This doesn't explain why my 91 had a locking engine hatch... :confused:

I'm 100% certain mine did.

Back