• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Engine compartment temps and flow direction

Cool idea.
I don't think you can receive the full effect of this without adding a blower in the design. It may work well at fast speeds but as that decreases so will the cfm, to a point where the cold air will just flow down the fender and out the bottom of the car. This could also cause a slight inversion where hot air from the engine that normally gets sucked out the bottom actually gets pushed up.

I would think slower speeds would be more important. Just food for thought.

Mike

RYU, thanks for your input, I agree with on some of your arguments:

1. An aftercooler would help cooling compressed air down. More hp -> best solution and you do the engine a favor. We're looking into it next winter. It's up to $3000.

2. During my testdrives I measured the hottest areas of the compressor at the pulley and the bearings. The rest of the unit was considerably cooler. Yes, it's friction of the belt and bearings under load. My belt isn't slipping anymore, well during 100 miles yesterday, as I torqued it slightly more (and due to the lower engine compartment temps).

The belt is torqued at it's limit now. I once had it torqued to the amount that the supercharger bearing were making terrifiing noises. No thanks. :wink:

3. Even if I mount an aftercooler the belt, pulley and bearings get still hot (friction).

4. I'm not looking for more hp mainly and cooler intake temps. Only an aftercooler would help here. At the given hp-numbers I'm looking for consistent power and a slipping belt in spirited driving is annoying.

5. An intake scoop is $165 from Downforce. If they could do a similar thing for the right side at below $200, it would be very cost-effective compared to $3000 for an aftercooler, again to avoid a slipping belt and get more consistent power.

I'll do some pics of my temps reading as soon as it stopps raining. Thanks again, I like these (only found on prime) discussions where we look deeper into it. :)

What do you disagree with? If i'm wrong set me straight! :)

So you're main issue is a slipping belt? Low boost right?

I would think slower speeds would be more important. Just food for thought.
You're right if I would drive a lot of stop and go traffic. But I don't take my car on the road if I end up in the next traffic jam. 99% of the time the car is rolling at speeds between 30 and 80 mph. I'm out of the age of boosting around town. :wink:

But I agree with you that adding a cooler like OEM would be the perfect solution. I adds complexity, weight and costs. I wanted to start simple.

What do you disagree with? If i'm wrong set me straight! :)

So you're main issue is a slipping belt? Low boost right?
I understood your post as cooling metal with air is not very effective, an aftercooler is more efficient. That's true for the AIT.
Yes, I want to dissipate the hot air in the engine bay out of it faster and cooling the pulley/belt down. So, yes, slipping belt under spirited driving conditions, yes, low boost.

I disagree to the point that an aftercooler won't dissolve the hot pulley and therefore slipping which can be well observed if you go quickly in boost at low revs. When it's slipping there it's slipping in higher revs also. I want to go on the throttle and it 'zings' and don't want to have a lag caused by a slipping belt.

Here's the thing though Gold... i'm not slipping at all at low boost (GY V-belt). I've track driven this car and hit redline several times in 1-2-3 gears. No slipping. Boost is super constant based on my data logging.

I suspect you have a different issue. Have you tried to clean your pulleys (all of them including the dampener)? Have you readjusted your belt? They break in then require a bit of readjustment.

It seems you may have an underlying problem with belt slippage which I believe is causing the excess heat on the pulley.

Yes, I cleaned all the pulleys with brake-cleaner, changed the belt, readjusted it and so on.

I'm in the middle of the registration of my CT system. So far I can only tell that the right-side air helps cooling the engine bay temps down. If I come to a stop and open the engine compartment it don't get a bulk of hot air anymore like before.

Back