• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Engine install help - Someone give me some options

We just started my engine install a couple of days ago.The recent progress can be seen here on the last page:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120174&page=3

All these pics happened yesterday.
sffrec.jpg

mt3u2v.jpg

sne1ky.jpg

My car is a 1991 but the motor we are putting in is a newer one.I dont have the VIN number right now but I will get it a little later so I can get an exact year model.

I guess i must be partially blind because I just now noticed the new motor is drive by wire! Its still a 3.0 so after doing some reading I found that the 95 and 96 years are the DBW models of the 3.0 motor.Since my 01 s2000 is throttle cabled and they didnt put DBW on s2000s until 06,this whole time I just figured all NSX's were throttle cabled. :frown:

Im kinda stuck right now with the install.I got plenty of questions now.

What can I do really?
-Install a older model throttle body and be done with it?
-Is there differences in the engine harnesses?
-Would it be easier to maybe convert my 91 to drive by wire?

I need some input.If this is in the wrong section someone please move it.

Probably easier to convert to DBW. If you keep the 96 throttle body, you will need a 95-96 engine control unit (ECU). You can probably find one for a few hundred bucks and get some of the money back by selling your 91 ECU. If I were you, I would keep the 96 throttle body, since the DBW gives you better throttle response. Otherwise, you'll have to find a 91-94 throttle body.

Quick question- what springs are those on your rear suspension?

Last edited:
Probably easier to convert to DBW. If you keep the 96 throttle body, you will need a 95-96 engine control unit (ECU). You can probably find one for a few hundred bucks and get some of the money back by selling your 91 ECU. If I were you, I would keep the 96 throttle body, since the DBW gives you better throttle response. Otherwise, you'll have to find a 91-94 throttle body.

Quick question- what springs are those on your rear suspension?
The springs are Comptech I believe.

Just getting a 95-96 ecu doesnt sound half bad.Wouldnt I also need a different pedal though? That seems like it wouldnt be easy to find.

Im waiting to see what all my options are right now thats for sure.I was so excited about the car getting on the road then I ran into this.

Last edited:
If you change over to the 95-96 DBW and ecu you will lose the option on using the AEM EMS. They don't make an AEM EMS for the 95+. I know you were planing on going FI so if you do then your option will be the AEM FIC.

My opinion is to keep it simple and stay with what your car comes with stock.

Rahim

This is going to get complicated. If you go DBW, there are many things that need to change. You will need to make sure you have everything for ODBII, the four 02 sensors, etc. The harness for the engine bay, and even the body has changes to deal with the OBDII system.

I recall you can convert it back to throttle cable fairly easy and just leave the car as is and backdate the intake. There is something lurking in my mind about the front cylinder head, but I cannot recall if there is a conflict with the 1995-95 head and the intake. I do remember this being done though. Do the research for sure.

Regards,
LarryB

Back