• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Engine oil weight

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I didn't have much luck using the "search"...What engine oil weight is optimal for the NSX, considering that I will not be doing any heavy racing?..The previous owner of my car was running synthetic 5W50..Is it o.k. to stay with this weight?
Thanks.

Congratulations on the new car Dave!

As far as oil, I would recommend 10W30 just like the owners manual says..

Originally posted by Lud:
Congratulations on the new car Dave!

As far as oil, I would recommend 10W30 just like the owners manual says..

I second Lud's opinion...I would go with 10w-30 Mobil 1...every time! One more thing, be sure to use the oem oil filter. There is a specific bypass pressure that this filter operates at...unlike many aftermarket filters. A couple bucks extra and you have to go to the dealer to get it...but well worth the time and trouble to protect the heart of your NSX.

[This message has been edited by TampaBayNSX-R (edited 08 December 2000).]

For those of you that have a problem with understanding various engine oil weight (or viscosity), Keep in mind that maufacturers are concerned with overall fuel mileage for their model line-up.

Most manufacturers are recommending 5w30 (some new Ford's and Honda's list 5w20) due to better fuel mileage. Lighter does not necessarily mean better wear protection. If you have cold weather concerns 5w30 may offer a marginal advantage at start up.

Oil manufacturers generally start with the lighter viscosity base oil and blend viscosity index (VI)improvers to allow the oil to retain it's "thickness" as the oil heats up. The lighter the starting point the more VI improver needed to get the higher reading. You generally don't see 10w40 anymore because people found out that the VI improver did not retain it's effectiveness over time (generally referred to as "shear stability") Some engineers have the same concerns over 5w30... hence 5w20 products are starting to appear in the marketplace.

Synthetics are inherently more stable due to their molecular structure and may offer some improvement under extreme conditions, (High heat, extreme cold, towing, etc.)

If you are still awake ... I like a 10w30 full synthetic. Be advised there are significant differences between synthetics due to the fact that the American Petroleum Institute (API) will not define "synthetic". Castrol has used this "loophole" to claim that their reformulated Syntec is a full synthetic. Mobil 1 is formulated with PAO's while Castrol uses a "highly refined" Group III paraffinic base oil to formulate their product. Personnaly I prefer the Mobil type "synthetic" product. I am sure this post may be boring to many readers but be advised that engine oil technology is moving at a fast pace due to manufacturers needs for improved fuel economy. You will soon see 0w10 or 0w20 products to meet their demands.

FYI,

My 2000 NSX Owner's Manual states, "Use a premium-grade detergent oil... API Service JS... 10W-30 motor oil." It also says, "It is highly recommended that you use Genuine Honda Motor oil... A fuel-efficient (energy conserving) oil is recommended."

I plan on using Mobil 1.

------------------
nsx1
2000 Yellow/Black/6-sp #172
http://www.nsx1.com

Back