• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Enthusiast vehicle for 16 year old???

It mainly depends on if you trust your son to be responsible enough to drive a car responsibly. Before I could even drive I loved fast, cool looking cars. First car I wanted was an MR2. I didn't have the money to buy myself an MR2 but I did something that is some what sporty, a civic 2dr coupe. Its been about 4 years now and I still haven't gotten a ticket and I also now own the MR2 that I wanted. I just know that I shouldn't do anything stupid and just be very alert on the roads.

If you think your son will be very dedicated on doing things by the rules and not doing anything retarded while driving even with friends then I say get him a Integra, Celica, Prelude, Legend, Sentra. If you don't trust him enough just get him a slow boring car. He should still appreciate it either way, I know I would of.

off-track :biggrin:

+1

can u send me a high-res version ?? thanks in advance.

+2 I'd love a high-res version also if you are forwarding copies.!!:biggrin:

what about like an older WRX or 2.5 RS (non turbo). All wheel drive, zippy, looks good. Iv seen them go for like 7-8 grand.

Plus the AWD systems in those cars are alot better than the Quattro Audi has.

I really like those but don't know much about them. :confused:

Don't get your 16 year old an S30Z...unless it's mine...then it's okay. :tongue: ...but seriously it might end up in a tree sideways.

Good point on the Integra's btw. Heck I had mine for 17 years before I sold it. Only thing to consider is the area you live. I think they are still popular cars to steal for parts and chop shops.

In addition to the regular service intervals, M3's have a tendency to break water impellers (~every 40k miles) and most notably have a nice break at the radiator ( which for some reason is plastic ). Even changing these pieces to reproduction metal ( as they were apparently in the Euro versions ) won't keep them from failing early. They're famously known for wearing out suspension components super fast too.
M3 owners love the E36 ( not as much as the E30 ), but most acknowledge these unforeseen repairs and plan accordingly.
I had a friend who spent a mint to keep his E36 in pristine condition, which it was, but he got rid of it.

But this is all opinion of experience really. Yours may differ.

I second the opinions for the Integras, Preludes ( basically anything Honda ), and the Miatas.

In fact, for a low powered enthusiast vehicle, it's hard to go wrong with a Miata, but then you have to start wondering about safety in something like that. :biggrin:

I have owned 4 BMW's E36 and E46. I have put 101k miles on a 95 and not touched the car except for alternator belt and pulley. On my 92 radiator did require replacement the water pump plastic impellar did not, the metal ones leak from the bearing just like any waterpump it should be replaced around 75-90k. Shock tour fix is only a $300 fix not a big deal, windows occasionaly go down and up but if you hold the button it works. Intervals on our newer BMW is 14k for oil change and life transmission fluid (I don't believe this personally) and 100k on coolant. These cars are solid built they even have a German ZF transmission same company which supplies Ferrari. Another fantastic thing about BMW is if you have a buddy with a computer diognostics system you can program the climate control to turn of upon starting the car and check all systems amazing technology.

The Honda accord especially the V6 is notorious for transmission failures very common repair most of which have been beat to death like the GSR integra which burns oil 1 quart after 6k miles.

As far as the Audi is concerned its the most electric problematic car on the market, consumers guide and dealers will confirm this. Dealer approaches the problems by forcing you to due to 30k service and 60k service when all eles fails before they isolate the problem. Though its the funnest of the bunch to drive and handels great when everything works and you have no vacuem problems as the S4 turbo.

No MR2 turbo i know 4 kids who wrecked these cars wrapped them around a poll way to difficult to control for beginners.

Corrado G60 has alot electric glitchs as well, the SLC VR6 requires timing chain guides if you beat on it and is heaver than the G60 pretty much a money pitt.

I recommend buying your 16 year old a cheap $2500 VW cabriolet or Porsche 944 which was my first car, never gave me any problems 50/50 weight distribution safe solid. A toyota Cressida or supra 1989 is a nice car none turbo very reliable as well and solid looks nice when lowered with wheels. A volvo S80 is safe but to big , nice car you can have one for $6k as well.

:eek: I was not expecting so many replies!!!

Everyone has a different approach to evolve their children. I started to work at a young age which I regret to this day. I was so focused on saving enough to purchase my first car (which I still have), I missed my teenage years:frown: I should have been more focused on education and enjoying my youth. Instead, I was worrying about how many hours I could work in a week.

I will not allow my son to work during the school year. He has the rest of his adult life to work. His primary focus is education and to enjoy his youth. My son is in the top 10% of his class with taking several honors and AP courses. As a reward, I will purchase him an enthusiast vehicle.

The question is, which enthusiast vehicle???

Please keep the suggestions coming:smile:

what about like an older WRX or 2.5 RS (non turbo).

The Subaru WRX is still above 10K where I live and I'm guessing insurance will be expensive. However, I can't believe I forgot about the Subaru Impreza RS:redface:

Thank you! I have added the RS to the list:smile:

so have you added or subtracted any cars from your list after all these opinions?

Yes, I have added three vehicles to the list.

I like the Volvo suggestion you made but I can't image a 740 in my garage. The C70 / S70 models do fit the criteria. My son and I will be looking at many vehicles this weekend including a Mercedes G280:wink:

Corrado G60 has alot electric glitchs as well, the SLC VR6 requires timing chain guides if you beat on it and is heaver than the G60 pretty much a money pitt.

I have owned many VW's through out my driving years and have a fully restored Rabbit GTI in my collection:biggrin:

I have never owned any Volkswagen's with electric problems. One of my all time favorite vehicles I've owned was a Corrado G60. If I could only turn back time, I would still own a Corrado. It was a big let down going from a Corrado to a 911 SC:frown:

Looking at your list I highly recommend the 96 Integra GSR ;-). They are worth the price as they never break, you can neglect them, they have power, good stick to learn on (not because it's easy, the clutch isn't too forgiving), got your airbags and can seat 2 americans and 2 asians ;). Was my first, in love with it.

Those Accords are probably subject to harsh treatment as I have not heard of these transmission failures. Of course, it's rare to hear of any reliability failures in a Honda.

I agree about the Audi electrical problems, however, German cars tend to keep this consistent across the board. :biggrin:

I heard one car reviewer in a magazine call the MR2 the most dangerous car he had ever driven. Apparently in 93 or 94 the suspension was revised, but the earlier cars will snap oversteer without warning.

The MkIII Supras also have their own unique problem. During the building process, the head specifications changed, however, the bolts' torque rating was not changed to reflect this change in design and was not enough for design standards. The result is that every MkIII Supra WILL HAVE A BLOWN HEAD GASKET AT SOME POINT. Sometimes you can catch it before it happens and retorque the bolts, but most will just change out the gasket. I'd get one, but I'd make sure this issue has been addressed.

I think the Integra is probably the best choice as well.

I have owned 4 BMW's E36 and E46. I have put 101k miles on a 95 and not touched the car except for alternator belt and pulley. On my 92 radiator did require replacement the water pump plastic impellar did not, the metal ones leak from the bearing just like any waterpump it should be replaced around 75-90k. Shock tour fix is only a $300 fix not a big deal, windows occasionaly go down and up but if you hold the button it works. Intervals on our newer BMW is 14k for oil change and life transmission fluid (I don't believe this personally) and 100k on coolant. These cars are solid built they even have a German ZF transmission same company which supplies Ferrari. Another fantastic thing about BMW is if you have a buddy with a computer diognostics system you can program the climate control to turn of upon starting the car and check all systems amazing technology.

The Honda accord especially the V6 is notorious for transmission failures very common repair most of which have been beat to death like the GSR integra which burns oil 1 quart after 6k miles.

As far as the Audi is concerned its the most electric problematic car on the market, consumers guide and dealers will confirm this. Dealer approaches the problems by forcing you to due to 30k service and 60k service when all eles fails before they isolate the problem. Though its the funnest of the bunch to drive and handels great when everything works and you have no vacuem problems as the S4 turbo.

No MR2 turbo i know 4 kids who wrecked these cars wrapped them around a poll way to difficult to control for beginners.

I recommend buying your 16 year old a cheap $2500 VW cabriolet or Porsche 944 which was my first car, never gave me any problems 50/50 weight distribution safe solid. A toyota Cressida or supra 1989 is a nice car none turbo very reliable as well and solid looks nice when lowered with wheels. A volvo S80 is safe but to big , nice car you can have one for $6k as well.

What about a 72 dasun 510?

I put a 5 speed out of a 200sx in it, just bolted right in, and put a 44 carb on it, and I was screamin.:cool:

I went head to head with a caprice classic(stupid old man decided to cross the meian, I had my daughters in the car, we survived.:mad: :eek:

We are here to talk about it, the cop said we survived because the car was all metal, and didn't blow up on impact. The front end of the car was smashed down and to the right. I was going about 50 when the impact occured.

They are easy to work on, and from my experience, safe, and very fun to drive.

Safety first but if you want a relatively low HP enthusiast car with some personality try a newer Mini.

The Corrado originally came in 16valve considered the best handleing of the bunch and reliable. The 911 SC early years are the best and I loved that darn car never let me down once, no power steering handeled wonderful sold it with 172k miles for $10k. The electric problems on the vw are sun roof motors failing, electric seat belts, fuse boxes most common requiring replacement and the famous jetta DMU and door lock motors. A rabbit is awsome because its light has tons potential for fun factor prices have gone up on the 84 rabbits.

An integra clutch job is $1200 at the dealer.

A nissan 240sx is a nice looking car popular amongths drifters pretty solid and reliable can be had for $2500 heck even a twin turbo 300zx is reliable and safe for about $6000

What about a 72 dasun 510?

I put a 5 speed out of a 200sx in it, just bolted right in, and put a 44 carb on it, and I was screamin.:cool:

I went head to head with a caprice classic(stupid old man decided to cross the meian, I had my daughters in the car, we survived.:mad: :eek:

We are here to talk about it, the cop said we survived because the car was all metal, and didn't blow up on impact. The front end of the car was smashed down and to the right. I was going about 50 when the impact occured.

They are easy to work on, and from my experience, safe, and very fun to drive.

Old 510s are hard to find. :mad:

You have to search hard to find a 240SX in good condition and a 300ZX with decent mileage. Many (240SXs) have miscolored body kits and knocking engines.

I'd take a nice 300ZX personally :tongue: :biggrin:

I have owned many VW's through out my driving years and have a fully restored Rabbit GTI in my collection:biggrin:

I have never owned any Volkswagen's with electric problems. One of my all time favorite vehicles I've owned was a Corrado G60. If I could only turn back time, I would still own a Corrado. It was a big let down going from a Corrado to a 911 SC:frown:

I would look newer if possible and worry about insurance if its worth the money to invest in a newer car.

ie I've seen Mazda 3s, Scion tCs, and 02 Accord Coupes all go for less then 10k and are all decent cars.

If you want something cheap to insure, salvage/theft cars are cheaper then regular cars.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370041879343

Thats an example of something I'd look at.

When I was a kid my parents wrote me a check and told me to use the money to get a car. It wasn’t a lot of money, but I really liked the fact that my parents trusted me enough to go out and get a car on my own. With the money in hand, I did a lot of independent research. I went to book stores to read magazines, and check newspapers often. Keep in mind that that the internet was not something I could use at that time. The whole experience of buying it on my own was great. I really learned a lot, and from my research I started to become a car enthusiast. It took me literally months to find a car that I liked and fit my budget. You seem to have a smart kid (I was a nerd too, finishing HS in 3 years or less by skipping a grade or two), so why not just give him the money and let him decide for himself? Who knows, he might surprise you.

When I was a kid my parents wrote me a check and told me to use the money to get a car. It wasn’t a lot of money, but I really liked the fact that my parents trusted me enough to go out and get a car on my own. With the money in hand, I did a lot of independent research. I went to book stores to read magazines, and check newspapers often. Keep in mind that that the internet was not something I could use at that time. The whole experience of buying it on my own was great. I really learned a lot, and from my research I started to become a car enthusiast. It took me literally months to find a car that I liked and fit my budget. You seem to have a smart kid (I was a nerd too, finishing HS in 3 years or less by skipping a grade or two), so why not just give him the money and let him decide for himself? Who knows, he might surprise you.
Might surprise you in a bad way too...but oyu have to learn somehow ;-P. I had to buy things on my own and started out as a msart shopper, I concur that this is a really good idea!

My parents contributed $X and told me I could add to that whatever I want for my first car. Got a '98 Integra LS in April 2000 and to date is still my only car. I modded it quite a bit (I race auto-x now) and did some stupid stuff in it back in the day, but was lucky enough to escape both the law (not *really* escape, you know what I mean) and tickets. Since you're looking for an enthusiast car I would recommend it, but if you weren't I'd recommend something bigger and slower. Even a 15 or 16-second car is plenty fast to get into trouble in when you're young and stupid.

BTW it's been reliable as hell despite all the mods and auto-x racing I've done. Besides a leaky clutch MC fixed under warranty, literally the only things that have gone wrong have been the direct fault of something I did to the car, and as soon as I took off or un-did what I changed, it's been fine like it never happened. Fantastic car which I plan on driving exclusively for the next 3-4 years and do not plan to sell even after that.

I love cars - own a bunch of them - I always loved cars, I had to borrow a car until I could buy my first. Strangely, my friends in school that got gifted cars on their 16th b-days are generally less successful than me. There's something to be said for the lesson of working for things you want and knowing that if you break it you're the one paying to fix it.

Now, anyone wants to do good things for their kids, but sometimes the good thing is not giving them things you didn't have. If he's gonna be one of a smaller group with a car then he's gonna become a chauffeur for his buddies, that may help make him popular, but it will also make him "in demand" which may result in less time studying, etc.

There's more to it than meets the eye. If I were in your shoes, (in 10 years I will be) I'd lend him your non-nsx as needed when asked with an explanation, etc. and buy him a track-only car that he can use at high performance driving schools, etc. with an plan to get into SCCA racing in a small way. The caveat would be a clean driving record or no track - period.

He can have fun, be king of the motorheads and have you help him set goals that involve him making choices that cause him to focus on his personal success - it takes money to race, you can't join the Hare Krishnas and expect to go racing!

Sometimes being a good parent is about thinking about the future - not the present.

I think that the first car is where one learns the basis for their driving for the rest of their life. That said, I think awd cars teach bad driving habits. I went from my nsx to an sti, then to an evo, which I just sold and am looking for an nsx again. If I drive the nsx the way I drove the sti and evo it would not end well. I can tell you my evolution of cars worked really well to develop my skills as a driver. I went from the rx-7 to a c4 vette, to the nsx. The rx-7 taught me the basics of controlling a rwd car, which then built up after driving the corvette. Once I got the nsx I was comfortable enough to drive it at higher levels. Now I feel like I could get into any car and be able to handle it without being a danger to myself and others. Also if he's interested you should try to get him into karting. Its pretty cheap and is great for learning how to drive, not to mention I have great memories racing around the track with my dad.

16yo, 1st car, likes cars, wants to learn how to drive and a good handling car

Miata -hands down.

Front engine, rear drive
Manual
50/50 weight distribution
upper and lower A-arms (proper)
great handling characteristics
FUN to drive.

Back