• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

EV mandates and NSX used car value impact

I've done very little reading about how the fate of gas powered collectible cars will fare when EV cars are required in the near future. It's probably like trying to guess the stock market, but I have some concerns about how collectible cars (like the rare gas powered NSX) will hold up in value as EV's are mandated by local states, regions or nationally.

Will values go up due to the nostalgia of gas powered cars or down due to prohibitions put in place? Any good articles on this subject?

I've done very little reading about how the fate of gas powered collectible cars will fare when EV cars are required in the near future. It's probably like trying to guess the stock market, but I have some concerns about how collectible cars (like the rare gas powered NSX) will hold up in value as EV's are mandated by local states, regions or nationally.

Will values go up due to the nostalgia of gas powered cars or down due to prohibitions put in place? Any good articles on this subject?

With the massive petroleum infrastructure in place across the U.S., it's going to be a long time before you can't get gas for your NSX. Probably longer than we will be physically able to drive our cars. As I understand many of the new regulations, it will mandate EV or hybrid for new cars starting at a certain year. Outside of special interest and classic cars like the NSX, most people keep their cars for 10 years or less. That means the population could go almost 100% EV/Hybrid in a decade. But, I think it's going to take a lot longer than that to build the charging infrastructure and dismantle the petroleum one.

Interesting to read up on the legislation in CA. Since my impression is that a lot of NSX enthusiasts live in CA, I too wondered how the current push to EV in that state could impact our brethren. I have a CTSC 2004 NSX and one of the things I liked about resale value was that it is CARB exempt (I think...) so it could be a desirable car to sell to a potential buyer in CA. Hopefully that situation does not change in the coming years. I do enjoy the added punch of the SC. :)

Back