• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

exhaust and exhaust tips

I am considering modifying the tips of the stock exhaust for a more aggressive appearance. I have considered aftermarket exhaust as well, but am hesitant due to marginal performance increases and increased noise level at nominal throttle.

Question: Is their any risk in discoloring or disfiguring the rear valance because the new tips are now closer. I have no idea how hot they get, but the original tips appear to be thermally sheilded and located much farther than aftermarket tips/exhaust. Any words of experience here are appreciated.

Thanks,
bill

Question: Is their any risk in discoloring or disfiguring the rear valance because the new tips are now closer. I have no idea how hot they get, but the original tips appear to be thermally sheilded and located much farther than aftermarket tips/exhaust. Any words of experience here are appreciated.

Thanks,
bill[/B]

Andie Lin made an elaborate custom exhaust himself once which had new larger tips. He ended up melting his rear valance at the track. However, I've seen many Comptech/RM setups which have tips closer the valance with no problems.

Bill, take a look in the pics area, topic "My black 93" and check out what ChrisW did to his tips - really cool stuff.

Also, my 2000 has the straight OEM tips, so my guess is that the shield in the earlier cars was just cosmetic.

Back