• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

F-Car Madness; ASK AWAY; F355 & NSX in garage

Gawd damn I see a lot of F-car questions and people thinking about going the F CAR route vs the NSX.

Well....

I've got a 99 F355 spider in the garage parked next to the NSX in my sig below. Had it in there a month now so I think I can give a realalistic opinion of each.

I'll give you honest opinions on each, something your not going to get on fchat.

My opinion....The NSX is overall a better car :eek: The Ferrari is clearly NOT meant to be driven very often....like once a week is TOO MUCH. It's not really any faster either nor does it handle any better. There is no power down low and feels like a S2000 at times. But man, that exhaust at 7000rpm is soooo freakin awesome. But is it worth the $8000 3 year service????

...99 F355 spider in the garage ..
I'll give you honest opinions on each, something your not going to get on fchat....service????

Last toy run we did, we had 2 casualties:

DSC00064.jpg

DSC00173.jpg

still, seen a prancing horse logo on the side of a red Ferrari is just like a "sin" itself .. it's hard to explain ... i hope you're happy with both .. certainly i would ..
OScar

So besides the sound of the Ferrari, what else you like about it that makes it worth the purchase?

Also why do you say its not meant to be driven often? If im paying $8k for service then i would want to get my moneys worth and drive! :tongue:

And of course... post pics!

It has been driven....about 2000 miles the last 30 days.

It's broken down 10+ times.

It's actually going into the shop today for a new check engine light.

Last week it wouldn't go into gear (F1 tranny with BRAND NEW clutch) and left me at a few intersections looking like a dumb ass. 2 weeks ago it wouldn't start randomly. Left me looking like a dumb ass infront of a 7-11. I think I fixed the start problem, loose switch (seriously). The gear thing just went away? Who knows what they will find today.

It is something special though....there is something so cool and so amazing with it. But it's so fragile, you can feel how hand made it is and how loose everything is held together too! Everything is a process, you have to wait for the F1 pump to go through it's check before you start the car. If the door is open it won't start (or if the ECU thinks it's open!). When you get in the car you have to hit your engine emobalizer button and wait for not one beep, but two, then you can turn the key to the second possition, then wait, then you can start it.

It's all a wonderful dance, but no where near just hop in and drive.

So besides the sound of the Ferrari, what else you like about it that makes it worth the purchase?

People still snub their nose at the NSX.....everyone bows down to the F-car.

It's also just beutiful to look at.

It has been driven....about 2000 miles the last 30 days.

Last week it wouldn't go into gear (F1 tranny with BRAND NEW clutch) and left me at a few intersections looking like a dumb ass. 2 weeks ago it wouldn't start randomly. Left me looking like a dumb ass infront of a 7-11. I think I fixed the start problem, loose switch (seriously). The gear thing just went away? Who knows what they will find today.

It is something special though....there is something so cool and so amazing with it. But it's so fragile, you can feel how hand made it is and how loose everything is held together too! Everything is a process, you have to wait for the F1 pump to go through it's check before you start the car. If the door is open it won't start (or if the ECU thinks it's open!). When you get in the car you have to hit your engine emobalizer button and wait for not one beep, but two, then you can turn the key to the second possition, then wait, then you can start it.

It's all a wonderful dance, but no where near just hop in and drive.

It is very informative. Does anyone have any experience with Lambo?

Last edited:
This reminds me of the thread you posted on e46fanatics.

How much are the various 'normal' costs with it? Oil changes, alignments, things like that?

So is it unreliable to the point that you would be afraid to drive it too far from home, or at night?

This reminds me of the thread you posted on e46fanatics.

But this time without all the assholes and 16 year olds.:wink:

How much are the various 'normal' costs with it? Oil changes, alignments, things like that?

So is it unreliable to the point that you would be afraid to drive it too far from home, or at night?

Oil change is ~$300-400 at Ferrari. Takes like 12 quarts of oil. Most everything else you can goto your local mechanic/shop for...like a new battery, tires, etc.

2nd question...kinda.

Last edited:
It is very informative. Does anyone have any experience with Lambo?

All the lambo guys I know claim that Lambo is much more reliable...I have no idea if true. They do claim that the 3 year service is NOT required though and is based on milage not time.

19k now, fully doc'd, most perfect F355 I have ever seen.

Also when I say that it is just as fast, handles just as good, etc.... My NSX is NOT stock and I've never driven a completely stock NSX so all my references are to my perticular NSX.

When I had my '01 NSX, I test drove a Ferrari 355, and I have to say I thought the NSX was a much better car. However, I ended up trading the NSX on a Ferrari 360 Modena, which I thought was more fun to drive than the NSX. The 360 is light years ahead of the 355 in terms of reliability. I never had a problem with it and was constantly surprised at how reasonable the prices were for routine maintenance at the Ferrari dealer. Having said that, I'm back with a NSX now -- a '04 Rio Yellow. The Ferrari was great, as were my other cars, but I'm back to the NSX because it's an everyday driver that's less than half the price of the Ferrari and so I don't have to fret at every stone chip!

When I had my '01 NSX, I test drove a Ferrari 355, and I have to say I thought the NSX was a much better car. However, I ended up trading the NSX on a Ferrari 360 Modena, which I thought was more fun to drive than the NSX. The 360 is light years ahead of the 355 in terms of reliability. I never had a problem with it and was constantly surprised at how reasonable the prices were for routine maintenance at the Ferrari dealer. Having said that, I'm back with a NSX now -- a '04 Rio Yellow. The Ferrari was great, as were my other cars, but I'm back to the NSX because it's an everyday driver that's less than half the price of the Ferrari and so I don't have to fret at every stone chip!

I've been considering crossing over to the f-car dark side for some time now but my research and discussions all center on exactly what you have said - 360 is light years ahead in dependability, maintenance and costs, and overall build quality but you can't beat the 355 exhaust note with a tubi. Also as you mentioned, the nsx is half the price for a nice low mileage car vs. a minimum 100k for a decent used 360. I'm having a hard time spending another 50k or more when i could have the nsx and maybe a 600 hp Viper or Cobra. Having said this, I will own one before I die, but will have to be a 360 or newer. The NSX remains the perfect daily driver supercar for me (although mine's a garage queen).

"Does anyone have any experience with Lambo?"
Yes, no major problems and ive put on 4k since feb, and ill pick up another nsx one of these days..

I'm sure there are some perspective buyers who want to know if the Ferrari more of a chick magnet than the NSX? :biggrin:

I'm sure there are some perspective buyers who want to know if the Ferrari more of a chick magnet than the NSX? :biggrin:

Yes, the NSX is the ultimate dude car.

Or if this $7000 355 they found would be a good deal.

I would have thought spending $100K plus for the machine ; It would give me a better and more reliable, not just like a trophy garage queen! Waste of money.

I've been considering crossing over to the f-car dark side for some time now but my research and discussions all center on exactly what you have said - 360 is light years ahead in dependability, maintenance and costs, and overall build quality but you can't beat the 355 exhaust note with a tubi. Also as you mentioned, the nsx is half the price for a nice low mileage car vs. a minimum 100k for a decent used 360. I'm having a hard time spending another 50k or more when i could have the nsx and maybe a 600 hp Viper or Cobra. Having said this, I will own one before I die, but will have to be a 360 or newer. The NSX remains the perfect daily driver supercar for me (although mine's a garage queen).

Tory, you big bag of wuss.:tongue: Buy the 360 or my Dad's Cobra already.

BTW, saw you yesterday on Sheridan and 101st. Gave you finger but I don't think you saw me. ;)

Iv'e spent time driving a 355 spyder and there is no performance increase over the nsx,infact as you mention the car feels fragile.

Having owned a 355 as well, I'd say the two cars are pretty equal in the "chick magnet" category; they both lack.

In my Viper, girls would bounce right up asking for rides. It was the perfect car for a single guy. The Eleanor (1968 Fastback I had built) was also a great car that drew attention from everyone, regardless of gender, race or religion (grin).

My wife hated the 355 & loves the NSX. I'm still shopping for a 360 but half-heartedly since buying the NSX.

The only thing I really miss about owning the 355 is the sound above 7K RPM. It was heaven-in-a-car. I'd often drive through a tunnel just for a quick "pick-me-up".

Steve

Last edited:
But this time without all the assholes and 16 year olds.:wink:

Oil change is ~$300-400 at Ferrari. Takes like 12 quarts of oil. Most everything else you can goto your local mechanic/shop for...like a new battery, tires, etc.

2nd question...kinda.

LOL that was you! I posted in that thread and asked if you were on Prime.:biggrin:

The only thing I really miss about owning the 355 is the sound above 7K RPM. It was heaven-in-a-car. I'd often drive through a tunnel just for a quick "pick-me-up".

Steve

I know exactly what you mean. I look forward driving to my friends house all the time. I'll take the 105W to the 405S, upon entering the junction there's a tunnel about 2 football fields long. I'll slow down and hold traffic a bit and let the traffic ahead get a head start before i catch up. I'll drop to 2nd gear going about 45 and rip through 3 and 4 through the tunnel. I feel the feeling inside of me just writing about it! My car sounds like a gsxr 1000 on steroids (no muffler or resonators, only a 3" downpipe from turbo).

Back