• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

F1 2008 Megathread

Re: A classic Hobbs-ism

OMG the pass!!! Massa has displayed skill never before seen in an F1 race. Passing the World Champion despite being fended off with such skills as you would expect from World Champion Kimi. Pullleeeeze.
What? you don't love Hobbs being his own sarcastic self? I enjoy the fact that they sometimes let some real fan humor and candor slip out instead of the requisite blather aimed at the clueless new viewer that seems to be "the market". :frown:

And how about Peter Windsor trying to have some fun :tongue: with Kimi and Flippy when he asked them about "the pass." It pretty much flopped but he tried.

Re: The Stewards blew it this time.

By the way, even I have to say that Hamilton drove a great race.
Yeah he didn't blow it like a 23 year old kid. :eek: And he didn't wear out his RF tire this time. He let Heikki do it. :tongue:

But what happened to the Steward's after race inquiry? :rolleyes:

Edit: let me clarify the "Stewards' blew it"/inquiry comment: where's the inquiry and possible penalty into Hamo or at least the McLaren crew or Ron Dennis' haircut? I would never expect an inquiry into the Red Cars 'cause that's Rule #1.

Last edited:
Honda plan full-scale attack on testing

Honda Racing are to launch a full-scale attack on winter testing as part of their bid to move up the grid in 2009, team principal Ross Brawn has revealed.

The Japanese manufacturer were the first team to divert their efforts away from their 2008 campaign and onto next year's car - with Brawn keen to make the most of the opportunities handed to the team by a raft of regulation changes.

And as well as the early work on the new car, Brawn has said that the team have saved as much testing mileage and as many tyres as they could to ensure they can undertake a full winter schedule of running before Christmas.

"We've kept our testing mileage and our tyres for the winter testing, which is another thing that is reflected (by our performance) this season," explained Brawn.

"I believe we have more tyres left for winter testing than any other team, which is something we consciously did because of our approach.

"We will be doing all three winter tests and there will be KERS work being done, work with the tyres, and work with some of the aerodynamic pieces for next year. We have got a full test over the winter with a whole myriad of parts."

Brawn expects Honda's RA109 to be launched in early January, with a major update to the car scheduled to be introduced in time for the season-opening Australian Grand Prix in late March.

"I think in common with all the teams we will have an early version and a late version," he explained.

"With the first race not being until later in March we will have the launch car, and none of us will want to reveal all of our secrets in January. So there will be the B-version coming out before the season starts."

Considering that Honda hasn't done any tuning to their present car and even horded tires, I'm cautiously optimistic for next year. I think the NSXCA should start a tire drive of old AO22s to give them even more rubber to test on. ;)

Re: The showdown

Anyone going to be "here" live during the race next Sun? Should be good with Flippy being a relaxed underdog and the Hamo being under the spotlight.

P.S. Honda surprised last race, didn't they? RB must've been driving around like a surprised blind squirrel, waiting for the other shoe to fall. :rolleyes: Well hopefully they will soon forget about scoring Fred and focus on what they have to work with.

Here's to Alonso taking out Hamilton! :biggrin::wink:
Hope Massa wins the Brazilian GP at least, even if he doesn't win the Championship.

Edit:

I think I'm more excited about this than the Elections. Go McCain! ;)

Re: The Next week; 3 big milestones

I think I'm more excited about this than the Elections. Go McCain!
I'm getting pretty excited too. These biggies go down in order
1. Hamo keeps his cool or blows it. :confused:
2. The election; are the F-1 stewards going to count Florida ballots? :rolleyes:
3. Wed 11/5; the launch of the Palin/Plumber 2012 Presidential campaign. :eek:

Relax; JK :biggrin:

Practice is for the season showdown is tomorrow...I'm going to see if I can watch it at work. 11AM CST.

Predictions for the weekend?

Here's mine: Hami on pole but loses it in the first corner. Takes it back in the pits. Cruises to the win in a rout.

Last edited:
Predictions? Hamo takes pole position but loses it at turn one thanks to Fernando Alonso, or even better, Timo Glock. :tongue::biggrin::wink:

Re: I love predictions

Massa on pole; Fred 2nd. Hamo 3rd. Kimi 6th and has a sombrereo painted on his helmet. Heavy rain on lap 15 and Hamo pits first for wets. Ferrari doesnt' notice the rain and Massa crashes heavily trying to stay ahead of Hamo who is keeping his distance by at least 20 car lengths. Hamo retires for safety reasons; but not like Niki Lauda in the rain but because there is rioting in the stands and in the streets and McLaren fears for their very lives. The stewards penalize Hamo for unsportsmanlike conduct and take away 6 points but not the WDC. Fred wins the race but no one cares. Fans around the world boo in unison and F-1's downward spiral into oblivion becomes worse than the world economy. The End.

Re: I love predictions

massa on pole; fred 2nd. Hamo 3rd. Kimi 6th and has a sombrereo painted on his helmet. Heavy rain on lap 15 and hamo pits first for wets. Ferrari doesnt' notice the rain and massa crashes heavily trying to stay ahead of hamo who is keeping his distance by at least 20 car lengths. Hamo retires for safety reasons; but not like niki lauda in the rain but because there is rioting in the stands and in the streets and mclaren fears for their very lives. The stewards penalize hamo for unsportsmanlike conduct and take away 6 points but not the wdc. Fred wins the race but no one cares. Fans around the world boo in unison and f-1's downward spiral into oblivion becomes worse than the world economy. The end.

roflol!!!!

I know Friday's practice doesn't mean much, but it would be nice if we got those results on Sunday. ;)

Pos No Driver Team Time/Retired Gap Laps
1 5 Fernando Alonso Renault 1:12.296 43
2 2 Felipe Massa Ferrari 1:12.353 0.057 41
3 11 Jarno Trulli Toyota 1:12.435 0.139 44
4 1 Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari 1:12.600 0.304 32
5 10 Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault 1:12.650 0.354 45
6 15 Sebastian Vettel STR-Ferrari 1:12.687 0.391 47
7 6 Nelsinho Piquet Renault 1:12.703 0.407 44
8 7 Nico Rosberg Williams-Toyota 1:12.761 0.465 42
9 22 Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1:12.827 0.531 33
10 8 Kazuki Nakajima Williams-Toyota 1:12.886 0.590 42
11 9 David Coulthard Red Bull-Renault 1:12.896 0.600 38
12 4 Robert Kubica BMW Sauber 1:12.971 0.675 48
13 3 Nick Heidfeld BMW Sauber 1:13.038 0.742 49
14 12 Timo Glock Toyota 1:13.041 0.745 39
15 23 Heikki Kovalainen McLaren-Mercedes 1:13.213 0.917 37
16 17 Rubens Barrichello Honda 1:13.221 0.925 39
17 14 Sebastien Bourdais STR-Ferrari 1:13.273 0.977 41
18 16 Jenson Button Honda 1:13.341_ 1.045 49
19 20 Adrian Sutil Force India-Ferrari 1:13.428_ 1.132 32
20 21 Giancarlo Fisichella Force India-Ferrari 1:13.691_ 1.395 33

Re: What are the odds?

but it would be nice if we got those results on Sunday.
You're happy with Jens and Rubens in 16 and 18? :eek: JK. :biggrin:

If Hamo does finish out of the points, and Flippy takes WDC, I'll place my bets on McCain. :wink:

Did anyone see how the crowd was cheering Rubens Barichello? He made to Q2, and tuned in just as Q2 had finished. What did I miss?

And Timo Glock/Toyota in Q3!! :eek: Jarno Trulli also made it to Q3.

Re:Qualifying

Did anyone see how the crowd was cheering Rubens Barichello? He made to Q2, and tuned in just as Q2 had finished. What did I miss?
The crowd was just cheering RB as a home town hero and because he may not be back next year. He barely made it into Q2 and will start 15th. However, the field is bunched really tightly, so Honda is quicker than in the past or even expected this race. With some rain, RB could be............*gulp* in the points???:rolleyes:

Heikki has one job tomorrow, cut Fred off at the start and protect Hamo's ass.

The plan is on track for the Red Cars. It looks like McLaren is going with minimual wing and betting it'll be dry. I would guess the Red cars have low downforce as well. But maybe not since they have fresh engines and can run at the limit even with rear wing. Anyone know for sure?

Get the mimosa's ready; the tension is mounting. :smile:

Edit: Yeah and what's up with Toyota? Time for Honda to headhunt some of their management.

Last edited:
DAMN IT!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::redface::frown: Damn you Timo Glock!!!

Wow. I think Glock is leaving that country as quickly as possible. The Tifosi are already screaming foul.

Congrats to Hami - well done!

that ending was ridiculous...holy moly macaroni...

:D yeah, that's what I was feeling when I saw Hamilton over take him in the last corner.

There's no excuse for doing what he did. Last race, last lap, last CORNER! :mad: You should go all out. Glock didn't appear to be losing grip. Glock in bed with Hambone/McLaren??

Go HONDA F1 2009! I really do hope they keep Rubinho for next year.

I really wish Hamilton would have lost the championship just on their "all we have to finish is fifth strategy". If they would have just come out and ran the race they way they can and not just "be happy to finish fifth" they would have been fine. They damn near gave the championship away.

can we agree that Sebastian Vettel just proved to be a better driver than Hamilton?

Fitting end to the season for Honda F1 when Button's car caught on fire and burned 1/2-way to the ground after he had parked it at the end of the race! The car was just sitting and Jenson had long left the cockpit when the car burst into flames.

Back