• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

F1 2008 Megathread

Fitting end to the season for Honda F1 when Button's car caught on fire and burned 1/2-way to the ground after he had parked it at the end of the race! The car was just sitting and Jenson had long left the cockpit when the car burst into flames.

They were supposed to Kamikaze it into LH's car as he lapped the Hondas

hah. hamilton's car was right behind button's car too...and no fire exstinguishers around at all? people just standing around letting it burn...

and it took hamilton a good few minutes and many tries to get that steering wheel back on...

Go HONDA F1 2009! I really do hope they keep Rubinho for next year.

Looks like you'll get your wish. Renault is set to confirm Alonso this Wednesday. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/71972

I'm glad. Rubinho is driving extremely well (considering the car) and, IMHO, Honda owe him a solid competitive car.

Fitting end to the season for Honda F1 when Button's car caught on fire and burned 1/2-way to the ground after he had parked it at the end of the race!

I can think of no better way to get rid of that POS chassis. I'm surprised Button motioned for the officials to put out the flames. Let it burn, Jense, let it burn.

ROFLOL!

1386821hamilton-f1.gif

On this one, I actually felt bad for Massa's family.

a984babe3db3feffe4e295c5e18197cfo.gif

can we agree that Sebastian Vettel just proved to be a better driver than Hamilton?

If you put it that way, perhaps Jean Alesi was better than Ayrton Senna after the Phoenix grand prix in 1991.

Hamilton won the championship without any between the drivers incident. Therefore, yes, he is a worthy champ. Ferrari dropped the ball couple of races ago when they f--k up Massa's pit stop. What goes around comes around. Championships are often lost because of the team.

It was Massa's championship had Glock not lost grip with his tyres. Poor Ferrari paddock when Massa crossed the line - watch the video again and they are all celebrating to what appears to be a Championship when a Ferrari engineer walks over and states Hamilton has won it. The looks on his family's face was terrible...:frown:

Fantastic finish to a weird and wacky steward fest of judgment. Congrats Hamilton but he still needs to prove himself. He only finished the championship with 98 points which in comparison to other past winners (Schumacher, Raikkonen, Alonso) shows he could have driven better or more consistently.

It was Massa's championship had Glock not lost grip with his tyres. Poor Ferrari paddock when Massa crossed the line - watch the video again and they are all celebrating to what appears to be a Championship when a Ferrari engineer walks over and states Hamilton has won it. The looks on his family's face was terrible...:frown:

Fantastic finish to a weird and wacky steward fest of judgment. Congrats Hamilton but he still needs to prove himself. He only finished the championship with 98 points which in comparison to other past winners (Schumacher, Raikkonen, Alonso) shows he could have driven better or more consistently.

i agree. hamilton really needs to stand the test of time before he can really be considered a great driver. not sure if you can compare the point totals this year to past years as, at least when schumacher was driving and dominating, they changed the point deviations to make things 'more fair'. hah.

also this year has been plagued with very strange judgments, very strange penalties, freak accidents/mistakes, some stupid mistakes, etc. it's going to be interesting to see how things turn out next year with the dramatic new body rules and everything. hopefully judging will be more consistent as well.

i can't wait for march!

i can't wait for march!

I agree - this was a very enjoyable and interesting season, with the championship coming down to the last couple of corners in the last race. Also, it was nice to see Vettel win and do well, and for HK and RK get their first wins.

With all of the changes to the tech regs, the 2009 season should also be very exciting.

That had to be the most exciting end to a F1 season I have ever seen.

I was cheering for Massa, but Hamilton certainly earned it.

Predictions? Hamo takes pole position but loses it at turn one thanks to Fernando Alonso, or even better, Timo Glock. :tongue::biggrin::wink:

Tell your genie to put down the crack pipe. Interesting prediction, just 71 laps off and backwards. Interesting how nobody's commenting on how McLaren won the WDC and took second in the Constructor's title despite getting whacked for $100M & agreeing to forgo several technical advances because of the Stepneygate farce. Most teams wouldn't have even been competitive after that, much less after some of the ridiculous stewards decisions that took place this year. Speaks volumes about their determination and depth of resources.

Both Hamilton & Massa were deserving of the WDC title and I was very impressed with Massa's class in the post-race press conference. Reminded me of Hakkinen in 2000 at Suzuka. It certainly didn't escape me that neither Alonso nor Raikkonen congratulated Hamilton in their post-race comments. Kimi, I can excuse because I think he truly doesn't give a shit one way or the other but Alonso, despite the fact that he may be the best all-around driver out there, is as big a world-class prick as he is a driver.

The two they ALL need to watch out for are Kubica & Vettel. Both of them are no joke. Bring on 2009!

Last edited:
I'll post up the Official 09 F1 Thread here in the next couple days.

God Save Honda F1!

I'll post up the Official 09 F1 Thread here in the next couple days.

God Save Honda F1!

and BRING FORMULA ONE BACK TO NORTH AMERICA...not in 2009 though.

Re: Dominance in F-1

Well, I've got a couple of thoughts I'll throw out. Hamo will prove himself; he is, afterall, the youngest ever WDC. And the team made some critical mistakes as well. So I think the fact that he did not dominate is more about parity of the equipment, overall teams and drivers as well, rather than any failing by Hamo. (We don't have any real wankers in the field; the guys in the back are pretty good, just in poor cars) And nevermind the stewards playing more of a part than ever. One of these guys, Fred, Flippy and Hamo may emerge as a dominant Schumi type force as they mature if they get (or maintain) a dominant team organization and car year after year.

Giving Schumi his due, I personally think that the dominance of the Schumi years was due, in part, to what he did out of the car as well as in the car. If he's the template, a dominant driver is a team builder. Flippy does not appear to have the natural tools or background, but he is an excellent Schumi prodigy, so that could overcome his shortcomings. Hamo appears to have the cool and demeanor to be a leader, but we'll see; that's the one thing I think he needs to prove. Now Fred, maybe he'll be a benevolent dictator in the right team, but he's not always as smooth out of the car as he'll need to be. I would think he's the guy with with the toughest row to hoe to go down in history as dominant.

Just my 2 cents.

Well, I've got a couple of thoughts I'll throw out. Hamo will prove himself; he is, afterall, the youngest ever WDC. And the team made some critical mistakes as well. So I think the fact that he did not dominate is more about parity of the equipment, overall teams and drivers as well, rather than any failing by Hamo. (We don't have any real wankers in the field; the guys in the back are pretty good, just in poor cars) And nevermind the stewards playing more of a part than ever. One of these guys, Fred, Flippy and Hamo may emerge as a dominant Schumi type force as they mature if they get (or maintain) a dominant team organization and car year after year.

Giving Schumi his due, I personally think that the dominance of the Schumi years was due, in part, to what he did out of the car as well as in the car. If he's the template, a dominant driver is a team builder. Flippy does not appear to have the natural tools or background, but he is an excellent Schumi prodigy, so that could overcome his shortcomings. Hamo appears to have the cool and demeanor to be a leader, but we'll see; that's the one thing I think he needs to prove. Now Fred, maybe he'll be a benevolent dictator in the right team, but he's not always as smooth out of the car as he'll need to be. I would think he's the guy with with the toughest row to hoe to go down in history as dominant.

Just my 2 cents.

+1:smile:

Just my 2 cents.

Well said. Michael set the standard for being a team leader. Next year should be very interesting with the new aero regs, KERS & slicks. BMW & Honda seem to have the early edge in KERS development while Macca ran their KERS test mule at Jerez just before Brazil. I hear Ferrari is having trouble integrating their system.

I have been replaying that last lap over and over ,and I gotta say it looks like Glock lifted and let hamo have it:mad: It was wet but he was parked compared to the other guys passing speeds on the uphill which should provide more grip cmon.:rolleyes: The Honda Car burning in park ferme was a :redface::frown:classic

Re: Speed pundits on the take?

I have been replaying that last lap over and over ,and I gotta say it looks like Glock lifted and let hamo have it It was wet but he was parked compared to the other guys passing speeds on the uphill which should provide more grip cmon.
Question for you Doc. Do you think the Speed pundits just happen to have a different opinion or are they perhaps biased? Three if not all 4 have said it several times in different ways, that Glock did not pull over, which is partially proven by Trulli doing identical lap times on dry tires. TV cameras with wide or zoom lenses cannot accurately show how hard rain is falling. They said it again in the Debrief show last Wednesday after having a few days to think about it and to talk with confidential sources we are not privy to.

And my thought is that it would have been foolish for Glock to try to block Hamo when he and Trulli were struggling to simply keep it on the track being the only ones on slicks. I hadn't thought the Speed guys were puppets for anyone, but you perhaps think differently?

Re: Speed pundits on the take?

Question for you Doc. Do you think the Speed pundits just happen to have a different opinion or are they perhaps biased? Three if not all 4 have said it several times in different ways, that Glock did not pull over, which is partially proven by Trulli doing identical lap times on dry tires. TV cameras with wide or zoom lenses cannot accurately show how hard rain is falling. They said it again in the Debrief show last Wednesday after having a few days to think about it and to talk with confidential sources we are not privy to.

And my thought is that it would have been foolish for Glock to try to block Hamo when he and Trulli were struggling to simply keep it on the track being the only ones on slicks. I hadn't thought the Speed guys were puppets for anyone, but you perhaps think differently?

+1. He wouldn't lift. Each place gives his team points which equals money for his team, and likely performance bonuses for him. There's just no way he lifted.

Imo just my "gut" watching that last lap I felt he had to lift ,but you are right they said he and trulli were posting 1:44 lap times so they were hurting.My "gut" told me though that thier pace at that part of the track should have been closer to the guys on intermediates,,but there is no real reason for them(toyota) to want Massa to win over Hami,so in the end I guess we chaulk it up to racing:smile:

Back