• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Failed smoggg

Here's the deal, i bought the car 2 years ago and it passed smog fine with the catalytic converters installed. They were taken off and replaced with test pipes for 2 years of driving. Its time to smog the car again and so a week ago i put the cats back on. I've only driven it for a few miles today and then straight to the test only center. AND IT FAILED... lol

Now i'm wondering if the cats went bad after 2 years of non-use or its only because i didn't drive it enough yet to get the cats up to operating temp? I drove it a good 10 miles though, and I dont think it takes that much time and heat to get it going, correct me if i'm wrong.

Next, if you read the test results (the smog tech guy told me this too) you'll see that it looks like the cats aren't working at all, everything is off the charts as if it was running open exhaust.

I dont really want to buy a new set of cats but i will if i have to i guess. Looking at the chart and the situation what do you wise owners suggest?

Picture639.jpg

As additional info i'm running DC headers with a GTLW. 93 model, no CEL no other problems.

Last edited:
i think i'm going to try and pass with NO cats. I'm waiting to see if anyone has a reason of why cats would go bad after sitting for a while. I doubt it though.

Want my cats, you can borrow them? They JUST passed TX smog about 2 months ago.

I'm probably in the minority here, but catalytic converters are installed on cars for a reason. We all hate air pollution and climate change is definitely a bad thing.

If you must burn fossil fuels, and we allmust, drive with your cats on.

Flame on! :smile:

I'm probably in the minority here, but catalytic converters are installed on cars for a reason. We all hate air pollution and climate change is definitely a bad thing.

If you must burn fossil fuels, and we allmust, drive with your cats on.

Flame on! :smile:

yes well i'm not going to flame. My nsx is fully gutted, i drive it probably 2-3k miles a year. its a track car with occasional trips to car meets and maybe some canyon cruising so if you own a GMC.. or any SUV for that matter you probably pollute more than i do.

Anyways, jacobzking where are you located? i'll rent your cats if you're close!

Back