• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Federal 595 RS-R review

Also keep in mind that - SoloNSX, correct me if I'm wrong about this - Solo competition rules usually require street tires. I've heard that many such events define street tires as those carrying specified treadwear ratings (e.g. 200 or higher). So an "extreme performance" tire like the RE71R or the ZII Star Spec (both of which have 200 treadwear ratings) might be allowed, but an R compound track tire like the Nitto NT01 or Toyo RA-1 (both with 100 treadwear ratings) might not be permitted. If OTOH you're not in actual Solo competition, and you have enough track experience to take advantage of the greater grip offered by an R compound tire, you might be better off with that than with one of these street tires. Different tires for different folks, depending on how you're using them (street/track vs track only, solo competition rules vs HPDE events, etc).

The rules for stock and ST classes(which appeals to many different cars) only allow street tires, plenty of other classes for r-comps but about 95% of those cars are on Hoosiers, rest on Avons.. but as its been proven with the rule change before last season to 200tw ratings, the number is meaningless. Perfect example is Toyo restamping their 140tw R1r's with 200tw number to meet rules and made no change at all to the tire. But that's all moot because the 200tw tires are better than the 140/180tw tires from before lol.

and yes, nt01 and ra1 may be better tires for the track but many don't consider them true street tires. So my claim for re71r and rivalS being best is purely talking out of the rest of the extreme performance street tires. I can't say for sure but I wouldn't be surprised if the re71r's and RivalS aren't that far behind nt01 and ra1. I mean, they may be VERY close. The biggest difference I could see for long/hot track days is that nt01/ra1 would likely handle heat better and might actually last longer as far as wear.

Bridgestone and BFG have developed those tires mainly around solo competition. They were testing their tires on the concrete at nationals the past couple years to further develop their tires. BFG originally wanted to take the market with the original Rival, they did a decent job. Then Bridgestone wanted to fight, BFG came out with RivalS to stay strong but re71r kinda dominated. Other manufactures are trying to put in a good fight for the 200tw tire wars. Couple new tires coming out this year, but things are pretty questionable for those.. The result of all this is some really awesome street tires that are now close to R-comp feel/performance with better wear.

Last edited:
Yup. Good stuff. Incidentally...

but as its been proven with the rule change before last season to 200tw ratings, the number is meaningless. Perfect example is Toyo restamping their 140tw R1r's with 200tw number to meet rules and made no change at all to the tire.
Toyo did the exact same thing some years ago with the RA-1. It was originally sold with a 60 treadwear rating. Then at some point they switched it to a 100 treadwear rating, without making any change at all to the tire.

They don't offer the "right" size for the nsx in 17"s but the performance outweighs the oversized front. Went with 225/45r17 front and 255/40r17 rear. .

Would those sizes of RE71s fit oem 2002+ wheels? (That is assuming spacers, and no front fender liners)

Would those sizes of RE71s fit oem 2002+ wheels? (That is assuming spacers, and no front fender liners)
Yes. The wheels are 17x7 and 17x9. Those sizes are specified by Bridgestone for mounting on wheels 7.0-8.5" and 8.5-10.0" wide, respectively.

Last edited:
Back