• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Federal 595 RS-R review

Tires I'm running Dunlop Dirreza Z2 Star Specs. Exhaust I'm running my Taitec GT 005. Not sure I'll pass at 90 db. It came with slip in silencers so I'll bring those with me and that should do the trick if I'm too loud.

Has anyone else tried Nankang NS-2R? I have them and really like them however, I'm a 7-8/10ths driver. Great value and loads of grip. I have the 180AA treadwear rating. I can only imagine how sticky the 120AA would be. I went with 205/45/16 and 255/40/17. Very NSX OEM wheel friendly sizes available.

http://www.nankangusa.com/tires/performance/nankang-ns-2r?tab=details

Didn't even know they existed, but here we are testing/talking about the Federals :smile:
I would be interested to know more about them in a separate topic :)

Didn't even know they existed, but here we are testing/talking about the Federals :smile:
I would be interested to know more about them in a separate topic :)

Yes, didn't mean to take it off-topic but wanted to bring awareness as these are likely similarly priced tires.

I think what you might find is that the lesser expensive tires are a bit of a one trick pony. They tend to lack the depth and the range of performance is limited to a small window. There's nothing wrong with that if you tend to drive the car within that small window most of the time. They're like good dampers. The cheap dampers are usually mediocre-to-good for just one condition. The expensive dampers can be setup to work well for a much broader set of conditions.

My guess is the Nankang tires won't be too much difference than the Federals.

Also to add to the list to check out is the GT Radial Champiro SX2. They are available in matching 215/40/17 and 265/35/18 tire sizes.
http://www.gtradial-us.com/en/CHAMPIRO_SX2.html

GTRadial-Champiro-SX2.jpg
I learned about these at the last track event I went to as GT Radial was sponsoring the series and giving everyone Champiro SX2s to run.
The general consensus seemed to be that they weren't the fastest tire but held up fairly well. I spoke with one of the marketing guys and they planned to readjust the price to be more competitive. I was going to see if I could get a hookup price to try them out.

Last edited:
Just came across this thread.

I have been using the Federal 5950-RS as my standard tire on the NSX for about three years now and I like them a lot.
They might not be as good as a R888 or something similar, but they are almost too cheap to pass on. I use the 235 front and 265 rear on my CTSC-NSX and the grip is excellent. Use them on the street as well as on track-days and I think they are excellent for that. The sidewall is indeed softer than I would like, and they do loose grip quite soon, but for 15-20 min sessions which is what I usually do they are just fine.
And beside that, they tend to last a very long time on the street, longer than the standard Bridgestones that I used before and since they are almost half their price. That's a good deal in my view.

Only thing you must NOT do is use these tires in heavy rain, they will have NO grip at all. So that is something to keep in mind.
When I'm driving the NSX and it starts raining I will slow down A LOT!!

Not heard of the 595Rs-RR tire yet, but will see if they get available. Will need new fronts anyway, so that might be a good change to try those out if they are better.

This past weekend I had the chance to test them on track.Temp was in the 50s.My car is a 1992 with the usual suspects modifications ( headers, exhaust, Buddy Club Suspensions, non-compliance clamps, etc.)On the road to the track the tires were not excessively noisy, but I guess that when you have a taitec you don't really care about that...On track, I was please by how this tire was "ready to go" even after half a lap. The grip and ability to change direction was impressive to say the least, the fronts being actually larger than 215s definitely help.I set my best lap of the day on my 3rd lap of every 30 min session.As the weather warmed to the 60s I could experience what everybody was saying about losing grip when too hot. At my 7th lap of the session I could tell that the tires would become sloppier and not as confidence inspiring.Keep in mind, I did 7 laps at full! Also the NSX needed a break then...I felt that the rears in 265 18 almost had too much grip as I could not tailbreak in corner entry like I like to do. Maybe it is an alignment, maybe I need to be more aggressive in the tailbreaking. Or maybe I should try the 17/17 combo_On the Federal RS-R I used pressures (hot) of 35 / 39.Would I buy them again: YESValue for money: HIGHHandling: PREDICTABLEOverall this is a good amateur HPDE racer tyre. If you are competing in TT or similar you def want to use the NT01 but if you occasionally track your NSX, this is definitely the best value for money out there.

I've run the 595RSR on both my NSX and my Mazdaspeed3. They have excellent cold temperature grip and great mid temperature grip. The downside is that they tend to overheat on Track day applications. So I would agree that in Autocross they would probably be much better suited.
On track days I've found that they tend to overheat around the 15 minute mark and start losing grip quite quickly after that. My best lap times are usually about the 3rd to 4th lap. One other downside is the sidewall isn't quite as reinforced as their competitors. I found you have to run slightly higher tire pressures to compensate. Don't drop the pressures too much or the sidewalls will wear out quicker than the top tread.

For the price you can't really beat them, but yeah, my Dunlop Star Specs Z1 lasted longer overall and could hold heat better. I'm about to buy another set of 595RSRs, but I wanted to see if the newer 595-RS-RR will be released soon in NSX friendly sizes.

Overall I think you'll like them, especially if you're learning. Once you start getting competitive, there are better tires out there (I'm in it for fun, so I don't care that much).

This past weekend I had the chance to test them on track.Temp was in the 50s.My car is a 1992 with the usual suspects modifications ( headers, exhaust, Buddy Club Suspensions, non-compliance clamps, etc.)On the road to the track the tires were not excessively noisy, but I guess that when you have a taitec you don't really care about that...On track, I was please by how this tire was "ready to go" even after half a lap. The grip and ability to change direction was impressive to say the least, the fronts being actually larger than 215s definitely help.I set my best lap of the day on my 3rd lap of every 30 min session.As the weather warmed to the 60s I could experience what everybody was saying about losing grip when too hot. At my 7th lap of the session I could tell that the tires would become sloppier and not as confidence inspiring.Keep in mind, I did 7 laps at full! Also the NSX needed a break then...I felt that the rears in 265 18 almost had too much grip as I could not tailbreak in corner entry like I like to do. Maybe it is an alignment, maybe I need to be more aggressive in the tailbreaking. Or maybe I should try the 17/17 combo_On the Federal RS-R I used pressures (hot) of 35 / 39.Would I buy them again: YESValue for money: HIGHHandling: PREDICTABLEOverall this is a good amateur HPDE racer tyre. If you are competing in TT or similar you def want to use the NT01 but if you occasionally track your NSX, this is definitely the best value for money out there.

Nice, you pretty much echoed my feelings exactly. Definitely a good value for money tire.

If anyone is in the market for street/track tire check out the Brigestone RE71-r. They are a phenomenally quick 'street' tire everyone is raving about at the moment, cursory check confirms NSX frendly sizes, Not too sure about longevity on a middle weight car- but I know quite a few people that have bettered their Nt01 (r compound) times by up to a second in some cases.

If anyone is in the market for street/track tire check out the Brigestone RE71-r. They are a phenomenally quick 'street' tire everyone is raving about at the moment, cursory check confirms NSX frendly sizes, Not too sure about longevity on a middle weight car- but I know quite a few people that have bettered their Nt01 (r compound) times by up to a second in some cases.

Will, heard great things about this tire too, but I only really see NSX friendly sizes in the 16/17 stock size wheels. Nothing really for 17" fronts (they have a 265/35/18 and 275/35/18 rear though).

The RE-71R is not available in the 215/40-17 size most commonly used by NSX's with 17" front wheels (because it won't rub, works well with the TCS, etc). It IS available in 205/50-15 and 205/45-16, for those with 15" and 16" front wheels.

Fortunately, for those with 17" front wheels, there are several other excellent supersticky street tires available in 215/40-17, including the Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec and the Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R.

The RE-71R is not available in the 215/40-17 size most commonly used by NSX's with 17" front wheels (because it won't rub, works well with the TCS, etc). It IS available in 205/50-15 and 205/45-16, for those with 15" and 16" front wheels.

Fortunately, for those with 17" front wheels, there are several other excellent supersticky street tires available in 215/40-17, including the Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec and the Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R.

whats wrong with running the 215/45/17?

I raced on RE71r all last season with my '91 Si. Best street tire I've driven on and I've driven/tested pretty much all the top street tires currently available. RivalS is also very good, just requires different suspension setup. They don't offer the "right" size for the nsx in 17"s but the performance outweighs the oversized front. Went with 225/45r17 front and 255/40r17 rear. I had to remove the front fender liners but on 17x8 +45 with 5mm spacer I only rub on the inside wall when close to full lock. I have had zero issues with TCS. I've actually done an autox run with TCS on by accident in cold temps and barely noticed TCS even doing anything at all, not intrusive *at all*. If you want a fast street tire, right now there isn't anything better than RE71r or RivalS IMO.

Attachments

• 12314627_880767714378_694741011197746541_o.jpg
    12314627_880767714378_694741011197746541_o.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 320
  • 12309552_880767654498_3378477827199698301_o.jpg
    12309552_880767654498_3378477827199698301_o.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 322
I raced on RE71r all last season with my '91 Si. Best street tire I've driven on and I've driven/tested pretty much all the top street tires currently available. RivalS is also very good, just requires different suspension setup. They don't offer the "right" size for the nsx in 17"s but the performance outweighs the oversized front. Went with 225/45r17 front and 255/40r17 rear. I had to remove the front fender liners but on 17x8 +45 with 5mm spacer I only rub on the inside wall when close to full lock. I have had zero issues with TCS. I've actually done an autox run with TCS on by accident in cold temps and barely noticed TCS even doing anything at all, not intrusive *at all*. If you want a fast street tire, right now there isn't anything better than RE71r or RivalS IMO.
So you are saying these are a better track tire than the Dunlop Direzza Z11?

I'll let the SCCA 2015 Solo National results speak for them selves. All of the Stock class and Street Touring class winners, a wide range of cars and modifications, were on either Bridgestone RE71r or BFG RivalS. If you look down the list, the vast majority of the field for each class is either on Bridgestone or BFG. The Z2* are great tires for sure, but they kinda fell off the map once RE71r and RivalS came out early last year.

http://cdn.growassets.net/user_file...A_Solo_Nationals_Final_Results.pdf?1444922039

Back