• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Finally a member of the club! '91 Berlina Black

Hey Guys,

After waiting 15 years, I finally was able to buy my dream car. My ultra-supportive fiancee encouraged me to get the car now before we get married. The wedding is now in 2 weeks! I bought a "Just Married" license plate to use for taking the wedding pics....definitely excited about that! For those of you that didn't see my intro thread....you can read it here: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/190750-Future-Owner-Intro-amp-Favor-Request

The car I found is a '91 NSX in Berlina Black with Black interior. This is the exact color combination I was looking for, and I also wanted the pop up headlights & manual steering. I made an offer on another Black/Black NSX that wasn't accepted. That car did not have any service records. After scouring Craigslist, eBay, Autotrader, Cars.com, and NSX Prime daily for NSXs...I finally found my car. It was only listed for sale on Prime. I contacted Tyler, and he was able to answer all of my questions. The car had a mountain of service records. It fell into snap ring range, but had the transmission replaced by Acura under warranty. It came with a letter detailing this. The car had some modifications...but they were all quality parts. Here is the Prime for sale ad for the car: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...ck-TX-5-speed-87k-miles-VIN-JH4NA1150MT002837

From the seller's ad:

This vehicle has a few very well selected mods. It had much of the work done at Comptech and Driving Ambition with receipts for all.

1. Comptech valved adjustable Koni shocks
2. Comptech Sway Bars
3. Comptech Billet Aluminum Engine Brace
4. Comptech rear non-compliance toe links
5. DC Headers
6. DC Exhaust
7. Test pipes (currently installed, stock cats included)
8. JDM Gearset
9. Comptech Stainless Steel Brake Lines
10. Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid
11. Comptech Clutch and Flywheel Combo
12. 16/17 Racing Hart Spec C Wheels in NSX Fitment
13. Science of Speed Aftermarket Engine Hatch Struts
14. Science of Speed Type S Shift Knob
15. PIAA Fog Lights

Recent Maintenance (within last 4 months):

1. Brand New Zanardi Size Battery in January w/ factory Zanardi battery hold down parts
2. Full Timing belt, water pump, seals, valve adjustment, etc. job
3. Brakes bled with Motul RBF fluid
4. Alignment
5. Engine Hatch Struts
6. Brand new OEM Floor Mats

The car did have an accident on the Carfax, but on the Carfax it showed that the vehicle was hit while parked. The seller explained that to his knowledge, the front bumper & rear bumper were repainted only. So, once we came to an agreement on price (pending PPI), I booked my flight. I paid for my Honda technician friend (who is about 300 pounds) to fly with me from Chicago to Dallas, Texas. Since I'm getting married & going to Hawaii on our Honeymoon...I'm out of vacation time. We decided to take a 6:00 am flight on our off day (Thursday), and get back in time to work 13 hours the next day.

I ended up putting $10,000 down (proceeds from my CRX part out), and financed the remainder through Penfed. Since I became a member 3 years ago & have excellent credit, I was luckily instantly approved for 2.9% x 60 months! The seller was cool with getting a Penfed check as he had purchased several vehicles using Penfed in the past. I paid the $15 for expedited check delivery & had my check within 48 hours of approval!

I did a lot of research on who to have do the PPI in the Dallas area. I read lots of good things about Carl at David McDavid Acura. So, I arranged to have the car inspected on Monday 8/24 before we flew out on Thursday 8/27. I got the report back on the car, and only minor things were notated. CV boot was leaking, turn signals don't auto cancel, windshield washer squirters were inop, antenna isn't working properly, and tires would be needed soon. All of these things were disclosed by the seller with the exception of the CV boot, and the windshield washer squirters. The CV boot I could have my tech friend fix. The seller was able to clean the washer squirters & make them work which was cool.

We took the 6:00 am flight, and were at the sellers house by 9:45 am. The car looked beautiful & as described. I took it for a short test drive & was super impressed. The exhaust sounded awesome, and the car pulled great! We had to get on the road right away in order to get back home at a decent time. I did cover the front end in 3M painters tape in order to protect the car.

The drive home was pretty uneventful. We got some pretty funny reaction from people on the way home in Oklahoma & Missouri. "What kind of Acura is that?!?" "Beautiful car...my son would loooove it!" We ended up pulling up to my house at 2:45 am.....super exhausted. We had to switch drivers every hour for the last part of the trip because we were so tired. The car was comfortable for me...not so much for my 300 pound friend lol. Anyways...on to the pics!
Sellers pics first:

Now some of my pics.... Pics @ seller's house when we got there:

Me and the car!

One of the worst parts on the car was the driver's seat. The leather was worn & separated on the bolster. I had an interior repair company re-dye the seats & sew the rip back togethers. Then I put some leather conditioning solution on it. Looks much better.

First wash at my house!

The Civic in the background is the new winter beater I bought for $900..... 2001 Civic with 310k miles lol. It has a mountain of service records at my dealership and drives great.... we'll see how long it takes to blow up!
Here's some pics of my car at my dealership:

So far, we've replaced the CV boot, replaced the trunk hatch struts, and balanced the wheels.

Now for the disappointing part. Upon closer inspection of the vehicle at my work, we discovered that there was damage to the lower core support. We could also tell that the entire vehicle was repainted. The right front fender was also replaced. I called the seller, and he had absolutely no idea about any of this (and I truly believe him). I called the Service Director at David McDavid Acura and asked how core support damage could be missed by a master NSX tech. He pretty much told me they're not liable & there's nothing they would do for me. It's disappointing because I wouldn't have purchased the vehicle if I knew it had core support damage. The car drives perfect, tracks straight & looks great. However, if I ever had to sell this car...I would have to disclose this damage...and it makes the car worth less. I'm sure it'll be very expensive to have this repaired. Here's the pics of it...you can clearly see the separation at the spot welds:

The other side:

frame rail clearance under hood by headlights:

So, I have mixed emotions right now. Super excited to own an awesome car, but disappointed with the damage. If any of you have any suggestions or someone you could refer me to that does excellent aluminum body work in the chicago area, that'd be great. I did just purchase the NSX body repair manual so I'll be able to measure things.

First off congrats on your NSX purchase!
I know Paul was nice enough to give you a spin in his and I am sure you were more than hooked at that point.

As for the post damage report, that's unfortunate. Hopefully the seller was being upfront and honest, but with 5 posts, you never know the reputation based on little activity here.

Anyhow, try your best to enjoy the rest of the season with your new purchase and looking forward to meeting you at the next get together!

First off congrats on your NSX purchase!
I know Paul was nice enough to give you a spin in his and I am sure you were more than hooked at that point.

As for the post damage report, that's unfortunate. Hopefully the seller was being upfront and honest, but with 5 posts, you never know the reputation based on little activity here.

Anyhow, try your best to enjoy the rest of the season with your new purchase and looking forward to meeting you at the next get together!
Thanks man! Definitely was hooked after that! Looking forward to meeting you as well...hoping we have more good weather for a while!

Congrats on the car! This was one of the options I was looking at before I purchased mine here in Dallas. The unreported damage.....that'd be an issue for me. Especially when I'd paid both the seller for an unhit car and the dealership for a PPI. I'd at the least, haggle for some of the money back and file a complaint with the dealership. David McDavid has serviced my car since near new, but now I'm going to go take a better look at it. They owe you that, especially since a PPI is a service agreement and if the Master Tech signed off of it; it's on him.

Congrats on the car! This was one of the options I was looking at before I purchased mine here in Dallas. The unreported damage.....that'd be an issue for me. Especially when I'd paid both the seller for an unhit car and the dealership for a PPI. I'd at the least, haggle for some of the money back and file a complaint with the dealership. David McDavid has serviced my car since near new, but now I'm going to go take a better look at it. They owe you that, especially since a PPI is a service agreement and if the Master Tech signed off of it; it's on him.
thanks for the reply! Since the seller was unaware I feel I can't ask for any money back... I'm just going to accept it. I've bought tons of used cars & it's as is, buyer beware. Sucks that it happened on my most expensive car purchase tho!

thanks for the reply! Since the seller was unaware I feel I can't ask for any money back... I'm just going to accept it. I've bought tons of used cars & it's as is, buyer beware. Sucks that it happened on my most expensive car purchase tho!

That's crap. There's no way you should just take this. Tell me, if he had all of the service records for everything else; how did he not know that the car was repainted? Come on.

The dealership issue needs to be handled with management, or a lawyer if necessary.

Well, congrats on joining the family and I hope you get some resolution to the discovery of prior paint / body work. Hope you're able to enjoy the car a bit despite all that!

Well, congrats on joining the family and I hope you get some resolution to the discovery of prior paint / body work. Hope you're able to enjoy the car a bit despite all that!
Thank you!! I've really been enjoying the car. It turns heads all over the place. I've come to terms with the damage now & don't wish to pursue anything against the seller or dealer.

When stuff like that happens you just need to think.. "I bought this car to drive it and own it, not to sell it" and that sometimes helps. Who cares what it's worth years down the road when you're the one who gets to enjoy it right now? Every mile that you put on it makes it worth a little less, and once you've gotten over that little hill of worry there's nothing left to do but enjoy the fact that you're driving one of the most coveted and rare Japanese cars on the road!

When stuff like that happens you just need to think.. "I bought this car to drive it and own it, not to sell it" and that sometimes helps. Who cares what it's worth years down the road when you're the one who gets to enjoy it right now? Every mile that you put on it makes it worth a little less, and once you've gotten over that little hill of worry there's nothing left to do but enjoy the fact that you're driving one of the most coveted and rare Japanese cars on the road!
Thanks man! That's how I'm feeling now. I've come to grips with it & just plan to enjoy it!! Thanks for uplifting words :)

Thank you!! I've really been enjoying the car. It turns heads all over the place. I've come to terms with the damage now & don't wish to pursue anything against the seller or dealer.

Enjoy the car, then. Since your mind is made up, there is nothing left to do but drive and maintain it for many years to come!

Sean,
First off, congrats on the new purchase! Nothing like flying out to see your new car, I can't get enough of that feeling.

On the other note, I completely understand the feeling of being disappointed after finding body work on a car you just purchased. This happened to me twice on cars I previously owned and purchased site unseen (SupraTT & 300ZXTT). While the knowledge of the paint work bothered me on an OCD level it never affect my driving pleasure or my time interacting with other enthusiasts. My recommendation would be to enjoy the car for the next few years as the damage should not effect how the car looks or performs. On the bright side, NSX pricing is inching its way up and will continue to do from now until forever. Let's say for the sake of argument the car is worth $5k less than you paid due to the damage. IMHO, the car will appreciate that much in 2 years so you will be back where you started when that time comes. At that point you can either get out for the same price you got in at or spend an additional 5-10k to get a "better" example. Either way you get to enjoy an amazing car at a minimal cost.

Finally!!! I'm happy for you, can't wait to see it in person!
Paul - thanks much man! Looking forward to meeting up when I get back from the Honeymoon! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Sean,
First off, congrats on the new purchase! Nothing like flying out to see your new car, I can't get enough of that feeling.

On the other note, I completely understand the feeling of being disappointed after finding body work on a car you just purchased. This happened to me twice on cars I previously owned and purchased site unseen (SupraTT & 300ZXTT). While the knowledge of the paint work bothered me on an OCD level it never affect my driving pleasure or my time interacting with other enthusiasts. My recommendation would be to enjoy the car for the next few years as the damage should not effect how the car looks or performs. On the bright side, NSX pricing is inching its way up and will continue to do from now until forever. Let's say for the sake of argument the car is worth $5k less than you paid due to the damage. IMHO, the car will appreciate that much in 2 years so you will be back where you started when that time comes. At that point you can either get out for the same price you got in at or spend an additional 5-10k to get a "better" example. Either way you get to enjoy an amazing car at a minimal cost.
Aaron,

Thanks much for your thoughtful reply. I appreciate you sharing your similar experience with me. I think you're absolutely right & hope he values continue to climb for all of our sake's.

I hate to see nice people get screwed. You, my friend, got screwed. Shame on the seller for screwing you and shame on David McDavid Acura for allowing you to be screwed.

The PPI is supposed to be there to uncover the things that sellers lie about or "did not know". As a community, no one should be giving their business to
David McDavid Acura especially when they turn around and just tell you that you are SOL. I pay for about 3 PPIs per year and am aghast by the number of times these lazy f*cks take your $200-$400 and just do a quick look and drive. Alternatively, there are places that do it right (SOS in Az) and have uncovered things the seller "did not know" like accidents requiring multi-panel replacements.

As for the Dallas area, I have used Goodson and...unfortunately, just now doing a search, it was of course Curtis (recently passed) who had done a stellar inspection on the car I bought. State of the world: *sshole seller unloads seriously damaged car to nice guy, worthless "master tech" allows it to happen while people who do it right die of cancer. I need a drink!

Congrats on a nice find and welcome to the club!

Sean,

I second this comment. Mine isn't perfect, but my seller disclosed it and I knew what I was getting into. Car drives great and looks great. Enjoy it. It's not a garage queen and it won't remain "perfect" forever. You'll get dings and scratches and nicks from the road but it'll be fun.

...and Aaron, you have quite the garage...

I would run the car up to Acura of Brookfield and show it to John Vasos. He has a shop down the street that specializes in aluminum work and my sense is that they can tell you if/what can be done about it. I know from experience. As to the rest of a proper PPI, John can do that as well. He showed me how the welds are supposed to look at various parts around the car and then also showed me how damage is usually covered, up, etc. The guy knows his stuff.

Us Chicago guys should group together and head up to Acura of Brookfield. Would be a nice little cruise and if anyone needs to see John, they can. Add lunch in there somewhere.

Thanks for all the comments guys!! Just got back from my Honeymoon and haven't been on here. Had an amazing time in Maui...stayed at the Grand Wailea, biked down Haleakala, did a helicopter tour, and did a day trip over to Molokai. Amazing trip!!

As for the car, I've been enjoying it to no end. I had my friend install the shark attack antenna, and also had one of our techs swap out my trans fluid with the 2:1 synchromesh friction modified cocktail...shifts much smoother now :)

also got my hands dirty and changed out my spark plugs MYSELF. Found a write up on here & it was very straight forward. The rear bank was a little cramped to work on, but everything came out great. I was getting some electrical interference while using the OEM radio, and I read on here that Denso plugs can cause that. Changed them out for NGK and now there's a big improvement.

At some point I'd like to make a drive up to Brookfield...only issue is that I only get Sunday's & Thursdays off...

Back