• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Finally purchased an NSX. Hello all!

First off, my name is Garrett. I am 20 years old, and going to school right now at Virginia Tech. Besides that, I'm also in an ROTC unit and will be commissioning as an Army officer after schooling is done. I work as a high school and college soccer referee, and then National Guard (non-deployable) as well. Through the years I've saved my pennies, and set up numerous mutual investments, stock exchanges, and an IRA account for later on down the road... but without any of this investing, the purchase of this vehicle would have never been possible! I'm really looking forward to keeping this car for a very, very long time, and getting to know the crowd here better. So with that, hello!

I've wrenched on Hondas since I was able to drive. Owned an 99 EBP EM1, then sold that after 18 months. Picked up a 92 CX hatchback, and then swapped in a 2006 Acura TSX K24a2 motor with an 05 Honda Intergra 6 speed tranny. So motor had 25k miles, and tranny had 28k miles, with body rolling around with about 250k miles on it! Car tuned made 226hp/176tq, and was a BLAST to drive. In a 2100 pound chassis, the car was extremely nimble, with power on demand. By buying and selling these vehicles for more profit also contributed to me being able to purchase my first NSX.

This past weekend, I finally picked up a black 91 NSX... ALL STOCK. Car has 81,000 original miles on it, with everything in working order...but needed some TLC. I had been lurking on here for a few months now, and have been entertaining the idea of buying an NSX for about 6-7 months now... so finally it's done!!! I purchased it this weekend for $21,000, and then registered it today, so the deal is done. I am too happy right now, and can't wait for the nice weather to kick in here in Virginia. The car rides phenomenal, and gets looks everywhere I have been so far! So fun. On the initial lookover at the vehicle, it needed some paint work (as the front bumper has been rashed up by pulling into a curb), had minor blemishes and scratches, needed valve cover gaskets, and an oil pan gasket, as well as all the fluids flushed! The transmission is notchy, as I imagine the fluid in that is still original. :mad:

But, on just the simple amount of time I've had the vehicle so far, I love it!!! It's fun to drive (but not as fast as a K swapped hatch) :frown: , and I can't stop smiling when I'm in it. The only thing is, people think I haven't worked for this car. It's so depreciating when you see others give you the stink eye because they think mommy and daddy bought the super car you've always wanted. . . So dumb. Oh well.

Here's some pictures we took after my buddies and I spent about 5 hours doing minor paint correction...
180993_946939504162_68131400_46609155_3999585_n.jpg

167553_946939514142_68131400_46609156_1368858_n.jpg

180137_946939943282_68131400_46609168_2335646_n.jpg

181941_946939908352_68131400_46609166_1426718_n.jpg

181821_946939958252_68131400_46609170_3173083_n.jpg

167377_946939928312_68131400_46609167_1686309_n.jpg

Feel free to comment on any of this, or have any suggestions for me! I look forward to meeting some of you on here, and getting to know this kind of 'upper class' crowd. :tongue: Thanks all!

I am so impressed with your post!! At 20 years old...you are WAY ahead of your time in the game of life!! Congratz!

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new ride. Your NSX looks awesome!! To all the on lookers that is hating on you, let them be jealous! you know in your heart, you worked hard and save your pennies... now enjoy the reward of your hard work. Congratulations again... and I am seeing a Ferrari in your near future... :biggrin::biggrin:

Nice, congrats and welcome. What are your plans to mod if any?

Last year I purchased my first nsx a 97 spa yellow with 47k. got it for 34 and after crazy 8.5%sales tax in ny and all the mods im doing im in it for over 42. I have to give you props to post your age on ur purchase. I am 23, and at the age of 22 when I got it I decided not to post my age or my purchase, due to the fact that there is alot of haters. People treat you different when they know your young. They also treat you different if your language or vocab or grammer isn't suitable for there style. But on the other hand there is alot more lovers. Good people that understand that money can be attained by saving and smart decisions and being wise. Word of advice, use search before you post something. Bc that pisses primers off. Anyways congrats and best wishes for your future.

Last year I purchased my first nsx a 97 spa yellow with 47k. got it for 34 and after crazy 8.5%sales tax in ny and all the mods im doing im in it for over 42. I have to give you props to post your age on ur purchase. I am 23, and at the age of 22 when I got it I decided not to post my age or my purchase, due to the fact that there is alot of haters. People treat you different when they know your young. They also treat you different if your language or vocab or grammer isn't suitable for there style. But on the other hand there is alot more lovers. Good people that understand that money can be attained by saving and smart decisions and being wise. Word of advice, use search before you post something. Bc that pisses primers off. Anyways congrats and best wishes for your future.

I've got you both beat, got mine in 04 when I was 18... Enjoy the car!

Last edited:
Congrats man. And don't let people take you down. At 24 I had my big house with a pool, cars and a great job. Most people think I came from a family of money but what they don't know is that I haven't accepted a penny from my parents since I was 16. Keep doing what you're doing and don't let people guilt you. You have a beautiful car and you deserve it.

Congrats!!! You surely are a mature person for your age and obviously not afraid of hard work! Good for you. I know you will enjoy your car and it sounds like you got what some would say is a steal. It sounds like you made a pretty good purchase.

Now what about the timing belt, water pump, valve adjust, slave and master cylinder and clutch - if they are original - they will either need to be replaced or will need to be in the near future. Sounds like nothing you can't handle yourself being a mechanic! Good luck and enjoy it.

Thanks for all the good words guys! As far as records go for the car, everything was maintained by dealers in both places of ownership. I'm the 3rd owner--with 1st owner being a doctor who owned it until 97 at 44k miles in St. Louis, MS. Timing belt and water pump were done in 07, at 77k by a stealership...so 4 years ago, and 4,000 miles ago. It's still below the 10 year mark and well below the 60-100k interval mark. Good to go there! Clutch was done at 55k, valve adjusted at same point, and then looks like oil changes recorded every 2500-3500 miles it looks like.

Plans as of right now are to still put some more work into the paint. It has slight swirl marks still showing through, and contaminants that need to be lifted. Other than that, the paint, for 20 years old is in AMAZING shape. To get rid of the rashed up front end, a brand new OEM lower front skirt and front lip will be being purchased in the next few weeks, and then painted. ALL the fluids need to be changed. They are all topped off to their marks, but they are dirty. Trans feels like it needed a flush of fluid 20-30k miles ago, the brake and clutch reservoirs are dirty (so fluid will be sucked out of those, and new fluid pumped on through the lines). Then, valve cover and oil pan gaskets have very slight haze leaks...so those will be replaced, as well as the valves checked and adjusted if needed. I can't wait to start all of this work, the car is now back in a storage unit waiting for it all to begin! I got this past weekend to feel the car out and drive it, so now it just needs this minimal amount of maintenance done....

Plans are to keep it very simple. Being the car is a 91, I want to keep it as stock looking as possible really. I've got the slammed suspension, and brightly colored wheels all out of my system with the last vehicles I've owned... and this car just demands to keep a classy styling look. It definitely NEEDS an exhaust and an intake to help it breath a little; so this will probably be the next purchase after maintenance. Oh and other most important styling touch... is the godddd awful stock antenna. :eek: So maintenance first, then exhaust, probably suspension and wheels afterwards. But first and foremost, to just enjoy it in its stock condition as it rolled off the showroom floor 20 years ago. . .

Awesome post. I am in my 20s as well so this is inspiring. I have worked well with buying and selling cars for cash (can't seem to sell my current one though) but I just can't seem to find the right NSX in my range. Then I see that you bought a 91 with 81k for 21k and that makes me feel worse because I never come across those haha. Of course you have to do maintenance but it will be well worth it in the long run and much more rewarding. It's good to see a car that needs just a little work go to someone who wants to put it back in perfect shape.

to be fair the younger owners who get the "life lesson posts" from some of us do so because thier posts have so many glaring deficiencies ,grammer yes but I'm talking screwed up thought process,flawed logic ect ..and we are trying to help,not hate.I "hate" to see folks make bad decisions and the fact that there are so many of us who have ,been there done that, and are willing to "advise" makes prime a better place.

Dang, at 35 years old... I feel like an old man in here.

to be fair the younger owners who get the "life lesson posts" from some of us do so because thier posts have so many glaring deficiencies ,grammer yes but I'm talking screwed up thought process,flawed logic ect ..and we are trying to help,not hate.I "hate" to see folks make bad decisions and the fact that there are so many of us who have ,been there done that, and are willing to "advise" makes prime a better place.

Grammer? Kelsey? :wink:

Nice to see that we have a new young Primer with his head screwed on straight.

Also as someone who has played soccer for 43 years now, having played for the Marine Corps East Coast team and coached for over 10, I understand how truly thankless of a job refereeing that game is. Its nice to see that you have used those funds- earned suffering a constant barrage of abuse from parents that never even played the game- to a good end. That money you truly earned. "Offsides!", "Handball!" Gawd, its nice to just play now...

Once winter breaks and you get to really drive your NSX, I bet the comparison to a K swapped hatch will lessen then.

Congratulations!

on mods, agree on the exhaust and headers but I would skip the air intake, few have shown any worth gains over the stock...now if you just want a different sound that's a different thing...and your money to boot!

IF paint is all you have a little worry over and all the major maintenance is out of the way - you got an excellent deal and 81k miles is not much on these cars and to be discounted to 21k - you got a steal! No doubt! Good for you. Like some I don't know where these deals pop up from - that car could have sold for more in my opinion. Oh well good for you and too bad for the seller. Good deals come along every once in a while so this is a good one for Hbui to check out.

Congratulations and welcome to Prime! Sounds like you got an incredible deal on your NSX and being a fairly new owner myself, I guarantee you'll love it once you can take it out. I can relate to your situation, although you have my beat by a couple of years in age of when you got yours...but as long as you personally know that your hard work paid off in your obtaining the NSX, then ultimately that's all that matters. I get odd looks from people and even those that ask if it's even my car (prob because I'm young and a chick). :rolleyes:
But a much deserved Congratulations to you!

Congrats and welcome to the NSX group. Love the color:biggrin:

Back