• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

First ticket in the NSX

Time: evening
Weather: Cloudy and for 10min light misting

So I decided to push it a little bit on the beltway in Maryland and got pulled over (105 in a 55(totally underrated for the road)). I gave the unmarked state trooper my license and military ID. He didn't say too much and didn't want to hear anything thing. His only remarks was "You've definitely been pushing it as I can tell your car is hot." (At which I am thinking to myself my car is at normal temperature....)

So he walks back to his vehicle and starts writing the ticket. I am replaying things in my head from the 3 miles I had driven on the road. As I was bringing up speed I check the normal spots where they like to sit and didn't see anything so I pushed it a little. Then I made a lane change into the outside lane and the cop pulls me over from behind. So I doubt this guy ever clocked me as in my mind I think he just saw my tail lights and my car moving and decided to throw a number out there. He didn't pace me.

He walked back to my vehicle and told me he gives breaks to military guys, but can't do anything about 105 in a 55. He said he didn't mark it down as reckless driving. Oh and he comments about how it was misting and it had stopped by this time and he added that to the ticket as well. Thankfully he did not give me reckless driving.

So I won't say I am not guilty as this should have been coming, but I think not having tickets in 9 years and being military should be good for something in court. Total fines came to $710.00

• TA-21-801.1 Exceeding maximum speed: 105 in 55
  • TA-21-801(h) Failure to reduce speed in dangerous weather (he screwed me on that)
  • TA-21-801(a) Driving vehicle in excess of reasonable and prudent speed on highway
All in all I should have seen this coming and deserve what happened. I just don't want any points.

Last edited:
First, thank you for servicing in the military. Sorry to hear that you got pulled over, but I am surprised that you said "I won't say I'm not guilty". You are one of the few that is taking responsibility for your own action. Some time when you want to play, you have to pay. Since you have a clean record for the last 9 years, you should be able to go to traffic school. That should keep you from getting any points. Good luck.

At least in California, you cannot attend traffic school (unless judge o.k's it) if you exceed 100mph. Believe that is still the law.

Jeff

you should be able to do the 12 hour traffic school as long as the judge allows it ......and u have to pay the fine, and fees for school but there will be no points on your license. Good luck!

Here in VA, I just received a ticket for "Passing on the Right". My first ticket in 8 years, (my last was in NC, Speeding, 79 in a 70 [Highway]).

What a bummer. Sorry to hear your story AND...I am heading out onto the Beltway today (a Hot Rod gathering in La Plata where my car is likely to be the only non-American Iron. A friend is sneaking me in to a private event :biggrin: I wonder if anyone will notice)
I was planning to run up my speed as I have not been over 100 mph for a couple of weeks and am Jonesin' for it. Your tale has reminded me quite clearly of the potential downside of that idea.
Sorry for your situation and thanks for (hopefully) savin' my bacon.

Here in VA, I just received a ticket for "Passing on the Right". My first ticket in 8 years, (my last was in NC, Speeding, 79 in a 70 [Highway]).

how can they give you that ticket if they don't enforce the rule of slower traffic using right lane?
bs.

Yah, that's a bummer. I picked up my second one three weeks ago - 70 in a 55. She only wrote 70, though I was clocked at 77 (down from the 90+ a few hundred yards earlier...) because when she asked how fast I though I was going I didn't lie and said, "hm, probably 75 or so..."

Gotta pay if you're gonna play...

Last edited:
Wow! He really piled that on you, didn't do you any favors. Sorry. The problem with getting away with just a warning there in the DC area is the huge military and LE presence, seems half the cars they pull over are one or the other. And, in a bad economy, I'm sorry to say that there is pressure to "police for revenue.":mad:

Maryland is TOUGH! I got stopped for going 5 over getting onto I-270 from the Beltway, was in a law enforcement vehicle (unmarked) on OB and got chewed out anyway.

how can they give you that ticket if they don't enforce the rule of slower traffic using right lane?
bs.

I live in Fairfax County. It's one of the wealthiest counties in the country and also really hurting from the real estate crash - so they're making up the budget gap with lame tickets.

I live in Fairfax County. It's one of the wealthiest counties in the country and also really hurting from the real estate crash - so they're making up the budget gap with lame tickets.

The above statement is reason enough for me to fight a ticket like that... sounds like a load of crap to me! There is no way a judge can uphold an "infraction" like that... :rolleyes: fight it!

The 50 mph over isn't lame, but the piling on is. Nonetheless, don't give a traffic court judge a shot at you. It might be humiliating :redface:. Pay it and move on.

The above statement is reason enough for me to fight a ticket like that... sounds like a load of crap to me! There is no way a judge can uphold an "infraction" like that... :rolleyes: fight it!

Would love to - but it's really not worth me leaving the office to sit in court for 4+ hours waiting for "my turn" over a matter of $92. Besides, I'll be preparing for a trip to Sudan for business, so I don't exactly have time to play games.

Technically - I did violate that law, so I would be arguing against a stupid law that I did actually break.

Would love to - but it's really not worth me leaving the office to sit in court for 4+ hours waiting for "my turn" over a matter of $92. Besides, I'll be preparing for a trip to Sudan for business, so I don't exactly have time to play games.

Technically - I did violate that law, so I would be arguing against a stupid law that I did actually break.

You know you do have the right to extend the initial arraignment? ...which means you don't have to go to the first date that they give u. You can extend it just by calling the court clerk or going to their website. then you just have to decide on what to do next. (Online traffic school - no points - or plead not guilty which will extend the court date once again.) And you still dont have to go to the courthouse to do any of this unless you plead not guilty. Even then you can just write a letter to the judge.

There is no reason at all to just accept the fine and move on. This is what the state is expecting most people to do. I would be pretty pissed about getting a ticket as pointless as this... if someone is driving slow in the fast lane then by all means it shouldn't be illegal to pass them on the right... what a stupid law... its your right to fight it!

Last edited:

Then his ticket should be thrown out. More reason to fight it!

Virginia Code § 46.2-841 - When overtaking vehicle may pass on right

§ 46.2-841. When overtaking vehicle may pass on right.

A. The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass to the right of another vehicle only:

1. When the overtaken vehicle is making or about to make a left turn, and its driver has given the required signal;

2. On a highway with unobstructed pavement, not occupied by parked vehicles, of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles in each direction;

3. On a one-way street or on any one-way roadway when the roadway is free from obstructions and of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles.

B. The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle on the right only under conditions permitting such movement in safety. Except where driving on paved shoulders is permitted by lawfully placed signs, no such movement shall be made by driving on the shoulder of the highway or off the pavement or main traveled portion of the roadway.

(Code 1950, § 46-226; 1952, c. 666; 1958, c. 541, § 46.1-210; 1985, c. 481; 1989, c. 727.)

sure seems that way

It sounds to me like the cop was profiling Hijacker because of his nice car... some cops are just jealous and want to stick it to the guys with more success...

(and this is post 3,000 wooot haha) :tongue:

sorry to the op for getting off topic.. To the OP, I would speak to the judge and ask for some leinancy from the courts... good luck!

I'll definitely get the points dropped, just how much it will cost the lawyer is the thing.

And 105 on a road where flow of traffic is always 75-80 is really not that bad IMO.

I could easily get a letterhead from the Joint Chiefs of Staff saying that I was going to our remote location for utmost importance and did not explain to cop for his not needing to know. But I probably won't do that since I don't like to lie.

So back to the point, (don't mind the off-topics) I will be going to court. I know a few lawyers, but will be doing research of good lawyers in PG Co. that know judges or court clerks and get this taken care of. I don't mind doing the 6 hour course if need be. I do plenty of community service so the attorney can use that to help.

I'll keep it below 85 for sure on the highway.

I'll definitely get the points dropped, just how much it will cost the lawyer is the thing.

And 105 on a road where flow of traffic is always 75-80 is really not that bad IMO.

I could easily get a letterhead from the Joint Chiefs of Staff saying that I was going to our remote location for utmost importance and did not explain to cop for his not needing to know. But I probably won't do that since I don't like to lie.

So back to the point, (don't mind the off-topics) I will be going to court. I know a few lawyers, but will be doing research of good lawyers in PG Co. that know judges or court clerks and get this taken care of. I don't mind doing the 6 hour course if need be. I do plenty of community service so the attorney can use that to help.

I'll keep it below 85 for sure on the highway.

yes your clean record should help also...

Go buy yourself a Valentine One too, if legal there. It might have saved you from the entire incident.

Unfortunately VA is one of the states where its not legal... no idea why though.

Not sure about Maryland though...

Back