• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

First trip to the dealer (already)

My new toy(01' silverstone-T) is in the shop. 15 mile trip in the loaner(00 Integra), and I miss it already.

First week I had it, the window seal tore. I glued it in place, and had them order a new one. That was a couple of months ago, and they just got it in.

While waiting for parts, I started noticing oil on my garage floor. Got under the car, and the oil pan was pretty wet. Wiped it all down, and checked the next day. Seems to be leaking around the pan gasket. I checked the pan bolts, and they are plenty tight.

I thought I'd wipe things down again this weekend, just to help the service people find the leak. Now there appears to be a leak around the Tranny too, and it had a different smelling oil. There are also now two distinct puddles under the car.

Do they all leak like this? I expected much better quality from an Acura.
frown.gif

------------------
01' NSX-T Silverstone
01' Audi A6 2.7t
00' Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300
02' Honda VTX-1800

You car is the first I have heard of leaking like this, but I am sure others will comment.

I have had mine 4 years. It has been the tightest sports car I have ever owned, No leaks of any kind. Your problem is not typical. How many miles on the car? It sounds like it could be a previous service issue. Good luck I hope it is not serious.

------------------
Live Free or Die

The only leak I had was when my water pump started to fail. Otherwise, not one drop of any fluid has ever leaked from my NSX.

Wow, this sounds strange indeed: An oil leak and a tranny leak? This is not common at all with these cars. To tell you the truth, this sounds so odd, that I’d be a little concerned with the history of the car. Tranny leaks can occur when the oil seal is damaged during an axle removal/install. Hopefully everything is ok with your car and your dealership can get the leaks fixed quickly and you won’t have any more problems.

DanO

It shouldn't be a history issue (purchased new in August). It's got just 2,600 miles on the OD. Not even ready for it’s first oil change.

I don't know if I'm glad it's not typical, or not. It's been 10+ years since I've owned a car that leaked anything, so this was somewhat disappointing
frown.gif
We'll see what they find. I doubt it's a big deal, but just a build quality issue.(which is what I thought I was avoiding by spending the big-bucks)

That is extremely unusual. Sorry to hear about the problems!! I am very curious to hear what the problems turn out to be.

Venting:

Well, no news today. I called to check on the status, got some excuse about a mechanic going home, and it never got looked at today. They wanted to keep the car overnight, I said Nope! My X is now back home dripping on the garage floor.

I don't mind so much they didn't get to it, stuff happens. However, no one bother to call and let me know. This is the level of service I got at the Chevy dealer. One of the main reasons I got rid of the car.

I'll make an appointment at another dealer tomorrow(that was strike two for the first dealer)
frown.gif

Done Venting.
smile.gif

Sorry to hear all those problems with your '01 NSX-T. I have a '00 in the same color as yours and I don't have any leaks whatsoever. Believe me, yours is a aberration that all of us on the forum hope the dealer will fix properly. Sounds like the dealer you took it to wasn't very responsible to keeping you informed on the status of your car. Sounds like the treatment I got at the Chevy dealer when I had my Corvette. I've had good experiences with the Acura dealers I took my '94 and '00 NSX to in Southern California. Hope you get your leaks fixed and keep us informed as to the source of the problems.

------------------
'00 NSX-T, silverstone/blk, #252

I just remembered, didn't someone here have a porous block that was leaking oil.

FAQ Nazi....we need you.

Thanks for the concern. It was Lindsay Acura, and like I said it's not that big a deal, just not what I expected. I get frustrated with any trip to the dealer, so even little things tick me off. Leaving my car for a day(with a scheduled appointment), and not finding out till the end of the day that they never even looked at it, is one of those little things
smile.gif

I'm pretty sure the engine oil is coming from the pan gasket, it gets wet right after I wipe it off. I'm not sure about the tranny oil. There was too much oil to get a good bearing on it. Now that I've wiped it down I(or a dealer) will have a better shot at finding the source.

Someone actually had a porous block? That had to suck. I'd push for a buy-back on that one.

The dealer where I bought my car had a brand new '01 black NSX-T with a hole in the block which was leaking coolant. I believe it was #60 and I just so happen to be at the dealer when the mechanic was replacing the whole engine. I would have never thought Acura would have such a major problem with any of their models such as this.

------------------
'00 NSX-T, silverstone/blk, #252

You may wish to check the oil filter. I have seen more than one vehicle with an apparent leak from the oil pan, that was nothing more than a loose/bad gasket on the oil filter.

in '92, I delivered one of the earlier X, it had a pan gasket failure after a few hundred kms. the car was exchanged for a new one after the owner asked for it to be picked up.
your problem is unique in that after ten years of production, I thought the gaskets for the oil pan /tranny been improved so that it would not happen. very strange, perhaps it is an old set of gaskets when it was built in Japan.I currently owned a 11 years old X with 26000 miles. All is tight.

John, we need to talk. I live here in Columbus as well. The issue of where to take these cars around here has been one of my main concerns. First of all, your condition seems to be very unique. As you've read, not many of us have ever suffered a problem like this. Second, there are not many of these cars being driven in this state. From what I have heard, Acura of Dublin might be your best bet. There is a Honda cart racing group somewhere in Hilliard that I would love to seek out, but I understand they typically don't have time to look at consumer level vehicles. You took your car to Lindsay Acura on the SE side of town. Nice guys, but it IS the SE side of town. I doubt they have even worked on an NSX down there before. I do know that Acura of Dublin has though. Write me an e-mail so I can arrange to see your car. I am very curious as to why this is happening. Also it would be nice to meet someone in this town that owns an NSX. Unlike CA, there are very few.

Also it would be nice to meet someone in this town that owns an NSX. Unlike CA, there are very few.

And there will be even fewer this weekend, when many of your fellow Ohio-based NSX owners will be at NSXPO 2001.

Tell me about it. Right now there is a shortage of people at my job, so guess who *MUST* work thursday and friday. Right in the middle of the big event. Major suckage!

Originally posted by Juice:
There is a Honda cart racing group somewhere in Hilliard that I would love to seek out, but I understand they typically don't have time to look at consumer level vehicles.

That would be Rahal's team and I seriously doubt that they are going to look at anyone's NSX! Nice 'though they may be - and I've met the team manager and a few other guys - I just don't think it's going to happen... If you make it to their shop ask for "Ramjet".

------------------
The NSX Model List Page

Back from the dealer with good news. It looks like I was wrong about the oil pan, and probably the tranny too. They found an access plug with a bad crush washer.

The plug is located on the left side of the front head. It's just a little 1 inch threaded plug, with a crush washer. Getting to it wasn't bad, they had to remove the coolant reservoir, and a few wires. They replaced the plug and the washer (which of course they didn't have in stock, but did overnight ship it).

The true test will be a clean garage floor. I don't know why I smelt two different oils under the car. Hopefully I was wrong about that too, and it's all set. 10 cent washer on an 85k car
smile.gif
It's all good!

Originally posted by JohnC:
Back from the dealer with good news. It looks like I was wrong about the oil pan, and probably the tranny too. They found an access plug with a bad crush washer.

The plug is located on the left side of the front head. It's just a little 1 inch threaded plug, with a crush washer. Getting to it wasn't bad, they had to remove the coolant reservoir, and a few wires. They replaced the plug and the washer (which of course they didn't have in stock, but did overnight ship it).

The true test will be a clean garage floor. I don't know why I smelt two different oils under the car. Hopefully I was wrong about that too, and it's all set. 10 cent washer on an 85k car
smile.gif
It's all good!

Sounds like the access plug to the rocker arm shafts. Let's hope that's all it was.

Back