• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Flat rate for Bilstien Install?

Anyone know what the flat rate book says for Bilstein install? I figure its about an hour per corner.

Also is there any pics of someone doing it? Just wondering how tough the rears, are. I mean, can I get at everything from under the car?

Thanks.

It's easy.... the only tough part is getting the OEM shocks out. But with a simple trick that is easy too. Remove all the nuts on the top except one to hold it up and stick a 2x4 in between the frame and top of the brake rotor. Sit on the 2x4 like a sea-saw to pry the suspension down and the shock comes right out.

Do a search there is a nice diagram of this.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Any idea what the book rate (hours) is for install?

It's easy.... the only tough part is getting the OEM shocks out. But with a simple trick that is easy too. Remove all the nuts on the top expect one to hold it up and stick a 2x4 in between the frame and top of the brake rotor. Sit on the 2x4 like a sea-saw to pry the suspension down and the shock comes right out.

Do a search there is a nice diagram of this.
Thank's for that info. I'll be doing that in a week.

Air tools help, A LOT!! ....especially when compressing the springs onto the struts.

And yes, definitely, alignment.

Be careful around the CV boots in the back. The struts have a tendency to bump up against them and break the boot and next thing you know you're in for a CV boot repair...

Thanks!

Just had my Bilstiens done at a local import tuner shop for $168.75, then had a high tech alignment done for $82.49 at NTB. They will even check it/ realign it if it needs it- included.

If you choose to DIY, this is not a one man job, despite what others may say. I finished it with a friend and concluded that there was no way I could do it alone.

If you choose to DIY, this is not a one man job, despite what others may say. I finished it with a friend and concluded that there was no way I could do it alone.
Yes I did it alone but with the help of every swear word I could think of. I did in fact drop the rear upper control arms to make it easier though. Paul is right, it's not recommended for one man. I just happen to have gotten a bit lucky...............and a ton of swearing. Not to mention I had a lift.:wink:

Just had my Bilstiens done at a local import tuner shop for $168.75, then had a high tech alignment done for $82.49 at NTB. They will even check it/ realign it if it needs it- included.

Id say you got a STEAL. I will be in for about $250 plus an alignment.

wow good price.

how long did it take them, :biggrin:

I'm starting to feel ripped off after seeing what some of youguys payed.
I wish someone other than the Acura dealer could work on the NSX in Richmond.

I have to say, NSX Prime has made me a DIYer. The information has saved me lots of money I would have spent taking the car into Acura, or other.

As for suspension, I had a local buddy do mine and I helped. I now would not hesitate to do it myself, by myself. Coilovers are easy to install....just shorten them all the way, install, and then turn the collar/raise them to height. I think that is more time consuming, setting the height, placing the wheels back on, taking a look at the car, and then re-adjusting again until you are happy.

I'm starting to feel ripped off after seeing what some of you guys payed.
I wish someone other than the Acura dealer could work on the NSX in Richmond.
They can. Most NSX work - heck, all NSX work - can be done by any competent independent mechanic. Or, you can do it yourself, if you have the tools, the space, the lift, the know-how, the time, and the desire - which many of us don't, of course.

The problem is that some jobs will take less time when done by a place with the experience of working on other NSXs. This is particularly true with diagnosing problems.

I have a good, reasonably-priced independent mechanic which I use for routine tasks on the NSX, such as brake work. I'm sure he'd be happy to take on any work I ask him to do. I bet he could install shocks, no problem. However, one of the benefits of living in a large city is that we also have mechanics with a lot of experience with the NSX, who know all the shortcuts and gotchas, so they often take less time than someone further down on the learning curve.

Back